Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Treadstone71
Treadstone71 doesn't litterTreadstone71 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, iPhone 4, iPad 1, Kindle 3rd Gen., Kindle Fire, Nook STR
From the fantasy genre, look at "Gossamer Axe" by Gael Baudino, if you can find a copy. It's not in print anymore, but I reread it every couple years, and I've had the paperback since about 1990.
Treadstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #17
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
As I recall, Mercedes Lackey often had primary, if not the main protagonists that were L/G/B... I haven't read her books in many years, but I remember that much... I enjoyed her earlier works, it was after she started going the 'furry' route that I stopped reading... Maybe worth looking into...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #18
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
So you don't have any recommendations then?
Hmmm, maybe it's my turn to blush, 'cause I really don't know any to recommend "in that department". I did recently read Francine Saint Marie's Secret trilogy: "The Secret Keeping", "Fortune is a Woman", and "The Stolen Kiss". You might want to check them out, in that order. They're very light reading, and available as eBooks. Like I said in another thread, I think Saint Marie is quite talented, but she could have done better with the books, in my opinion. But they still turn out to be entertaining reads, and the main characters are quite memorable.

Quote:
I don't think I've read any of Fannie Flagg. Oh, wait, there was one about a TV host whose mother had a troubled background and then she, the TV host that is, gets a breakdown. Okay, but not especially interesting, except I didn't know anything about the concept of 'passing as white' before I read it.
I mentioned Fannie Flagg because she used to be the partner of Rita Mae Brown. Flagg is the author of "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" which was adapted into the film, "Fried Green Tomatoes". It's a funny book with a lesbian couple (implied) among the characters.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #19
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
She was also hilarious on Match Game. I miss that show!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #20
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I second the recommendation of "Gossamer Axe" if you can find it.

I enjoy the Jane Lawless mysteries by Ellen Hart. Jane is a lesbian who owns a gourmet restaurant. Her best friend (not lover) is a lesbian involved in community theater. They aren't official detectives, but keep getting caught up in mysteries.

On the comic end, I thought "The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse" by Mabel Maney was hysterical. It's a lesbian parody of the Cherry Ames and Nancy Drew stories. (I grew up with those so I don't know how the parody would hold up for someone who didn't know the original stories.)
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #21
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There are free Lesbian books here:
http://www.lesbian-ebooks.com.au/
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #22
cmwilson
Enthusiast
cmwilson doesn't littercmwilson doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
When Women Were Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I think I'm at the moment not so much into reading sci-fi/fantasy/vampire/etc., but more general fiction, and I'm most interested if it's a main POV character.
My book, When Women Were Warriors, got a nice review from Rainbow Reviews:

http://rainbow-reviews.com/?p=1192

At first glance it looks like fantasy, but it isn't. No sci-fi. No vampires.

And you can read Book I of the trilogy for free. I'm offering free ebook downloads in several formats here:

http://www.catherinemwilson.com/free-ebook.html

Thanks for asking!

Catherine M. Wilson

http://www.whenwomenwerewarriors.com/
http://www.catherine-m-wilson.com/
cmwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #23
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's this website, Bedazzled Book Peddler, which sells lesbian-themed books by lesbian authors. It looks like a new publisher. I've bought a few books from them not only for some light reading but also to show support. eBooks are available in Mobipocket and PDF. Best of all, they are DRM-free. Try using the coupon code APRILSALE at checkout for a 10% discount:

http://bedazzledink.byethost17.com/bookpeddler/
Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #24
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwilson View Post
My book, When Women Were Warriors, got a nice review from Rainbow Reviews:

http://rainbow-reviews.com/?p=1192

At first glance it looks like fantasy, but it isn't. No sci-fi. No vampires.

And you can read Book I of the trilogy for free. I'm offering free ebook downloads in several formats here:

http://www.catherinemwilson.com/free-ebook.html

Thanks for asking!

Catherine M. Wilson

Thanks for the free download, Catherine. I have a small suggestion: Put a blurb about the story on your download page so that folks will have an idea of what the story is about.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #25
cmwilson
Enthusiast
cmwilson doesn't littercmwilson doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Thanks for the free download, Catherine. I have a small suggestion: Put a blurb about the story on your download page so that folks will have an idea of what the story is about.
There's already a lot on that page, but there is a link to the publisher website that has information about all three books.

Catherine M. Wilson

cmwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:44 AM   #26
HenryP
Enthusiast
HenryP began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
One of the main protagonists in the murder mystery 'Broken Signs' is a lesbian.
The website (www.brokensigns.com) refers to the book as a novel but it's more a detective story about freewill and determinism.
There's no ebook version, only paperback.

henry
HenryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #27
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Bold Strokes Books has a huge quantity of ebooks from romance to mystery to sci-fi to fantasy to historical......

www.boldstrokesbooks.com/

Several formats, all drm free.

bathos
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #28
coolshades
coolshades began at the beginning.

Device: none
on these same lines, i would be interested in book recommendations with bisexual or poly women protagonists ( a bit like the heinlein books)
coolshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #29
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I've been completely forgetting this thread - I meant to say thanks to all who've contributed. It's nice to have these recommendations

Does look like I was right to assume there wouldn't be many beyond genre type books (which I'd say most of these recommendations are). Not that it's a problem, just not quite what I was looking for
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #30
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Is it that most books with lesbian leads are genre books, or that most people (either on this site or in general) read genres? I'd tend to guess that people who read mysteries or science fiction or whatever outnumber people who read "literature" or "mainstream"[1] works.

[1] This has always struck me as a misnomer. I think of it as more "leftovers," as the mundane stuff that didn't fit any real category.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote