Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #46
vincent_c
Enthusiast
vincent_c began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
I have seen some problems with error messages. (displayed in dialog boxes)
Some french accents are displayed as hexadecimal codes. (I have also the same problems when I import ebooks/folders with accents but it isn't really a problem as I can rename all theses informations after)

Please see the clipboard result. The accents are correctly displayed for the first part of the message but not at the end. (" pas trouv\xe9." instead of " pas trouvé" - " not found") :
ERROR: Erreur à la récupération de l'image de couverture: <b>Erreur à la récupération de l'image de couverture.</b><br/>ISBNNotFound(u'ISBN: 9782038702668 pas trouv\xe9.',)

I don't really see also why a 'u' and ',' are also displayed in the message. Is there something wrong with the translation ?
vincent_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #47
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No this a problem witht he code, will be fixed in next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #48
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've been translating most of the strings in Calibre into Spanish. From time to time I check the new strings at launchpad.net and add translations. I would appreciate if it were possible to have some aids for translators, such as:

-Some indication of the context a string appears in. Is it a floating hint? is it a description of a command-line option? is it the text in a button? Some strings will appear in several contexts, it would be good to have a list of all of them. The best wording to use sometimes depends on this.

-For strings with &hotkeys, having a list of all other strings sharing dialogue box would be highly useful for avoiding conflicts.

At launchpad.net, all I can see is the source files that refer to the string, that's something, but often not enough, and I have to update Calibre and launch it to make sure I'm making the right choices... and I don't have it always available.

Last edited by Jellby; 01-26-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree it would be nice to have those sorts of hints, but Launchpad and pretty much every other translation system I know of doesn't provide any way to generate them
Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #50
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I agree it would be nice to have those sorts of hints, but Launchpad and pretty much every other translation system I know of doesn't provide any way to generate them
That's what I feared. Any chance of generating this info from the source code and storing it off-launchpad?
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #51
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well it cant be an automatic system, so basically I'd have to implement some sort of special syntax to add descriptions when marking strings for translation and then go through and add descriptions to all existing marked strings. That would be a *lot* of work.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #52
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well it cant be an automatic system, so basically I'd have to implement some sort of special syntax to add descriptions when marking strings for translation and then go through and add descriptions to all existing marked strings. That would be a *lot* of work.
And I wouldn't want your effort to be "wasted" in that... I hoped some automatic way could be found, like some smart regexp processing of the source code, which tells a bit more than just the file where the string appears.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #53
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
And I wouldn't want your effort to be "wasted" in that... I hoped some automatic way could be found, like some smart regexp processing of the source code, which tells a bit more than just the file where the string appears.
I don't really see how that would work?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #54
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm Dutch, that translation seems to be pretty complete already, but on a quick glimpse-through there also are some errors..?

(For example number 8.
English:
Follow all local links in an HTML file and create a ZIP file containing all linked files. This plugin is run every time you add an HTML file to the library.
Current Dutch:
Volg alle plaatselijke links in een HTML-bestand en maak een ZIP-bestand met alle gelinkte bestanden. Deze plug-in wordt elke keer u een HTML-bestand aan de bibliotheek toevoegt, uitgevoerd.

Plaatselijke should be lokale I think, and in between 'elke keer' and 'u' there should be 'wanneer' to make the sentence complete.
highwaykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Feel free to make the corrections. The translations are open to all.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #56
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK
Just registered and am typing away. Most are just minor corrections (or to make two translations of the same English word the same word in Dutch to keep things consistent).
highwaykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #57
Jeespox
Jeespox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I downloaded Calibre yesterday and found it very, very useful. So lots of thanks for it! If you want/have need for it, I could start doing a finnish translation.
Jeespox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure, new translations are always welcome.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #59
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
Thumbs up Vietnamese translation and context

G'day all

I'll try to find time to do a Vietnamese translation. I dislike Launchpad, so I'll do the translation offline then probably send it to you.

Note: Vietnamese requires robust Unicode support, due to its scattered presence on the Unicode plane and its preponderance of combined diacritics. Hopefully if won't break anything.

On the topic of context, if you're using gettext PO files, you can (1) add translator comments and (2) use the gettext msgctxt feature:

#. Please keep this under 18 characters
#: string ID
msgctxt "Tooltip"
msgsid "Click on me"
msgstr ""

(We translators can also add a comment above the other string headers, e.g.

# Not sure about this yet
#. Please keep this under 18 characters
#: string ID
msgctxt "Tooltip"
msgsid "Click on me"
msgstr ""

A decent translation interface should have a field to input translator comments: Pootle does, as do all the good offline editors, like Localize, Virtaal, Wordforge Editor and Poedit. In a text editor, just add the "# " line above the other string headers.)

From "man xgettext":

-c, --add-comments[=TAG]
place comment block with TAG (or those preceding keyword lines) in output file

For example:

$ xgettext --output=- --add-comments=GETTEXT: --c++ - << __EOF__
// GETTEXT: first comment
cout << gettext("hello") << eol;
// GETTEXT: second comment
cout << gettext("hello again") << eol;
__EOF__

outputs:

#. GETTEXT: first comment
#: entrée standard:2
msgid "hello"
msgstr ""
#. GETTEXT: second comment
#: entrée standard:4
msgid "hello again"
msgstr ""

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/....html#Contexts

Hope this helps.

Clytie
Vietnamese Free-Software Translation Team
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #60
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre's .pot file is automatically generated, not maintained by hand. I don't have the time to maintain it by hand. That makes msg contexts impossible.