Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Angry Can't add book (case conflict)

Hi,

Calibre 0.8.26

I am trying to add the ebook "Smallest Dragonboy - Anne McCaffrey.epub" to my collection. When I add the book. calibre shows me the new book, but I can't open it with the error "has no available formats".
If I look into the calibre library folder, there are two new directories:
"Anne Mccaffrey (Case Conflict 1)" and "Anne Mccaffrey (Case Conflict 2)"

My questions:
  • Why is there no error popping up, telling me there is a problem?
  • How am I supposed to add the book, if I don't have a clue, what the problem is?

It has something to do with case, but what?

I have no clue, what to do, a google search shows a bug report, where changing the case in Letters of the title of a book leads to the same phenomenon. All Kovid said is: "Your problem for using Linux."
Well, he used nicer words to the same effect.

I would be very grateful, if someone could give me a clue.
Sven
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by opitzs View Post
I am trying to add the ebook "Smallest Dragonboy - Anne McCaffrey.epub" to my collection. When I add the book. calibre shows me the new book, but I can't open it with the error "has no available formats".
If I look into the calibre library folder, there are two new directories:
"Anne Mccaffrey (Case Conflict 1)" and "Anne Mccaffrey (Case Conflict 2)"
I've never run across this problem.

What OS are you using?
Is there another Anne Mccaffrey directory? If so how is the original Anne McCaffrey directory represented?

Hopefully someone will have the answer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Hi dwanthny,

I'm using Linux. The original directory "Anne Mccaffrey" is still there. The other books by her are in there and working fine.
I was wondering why Mccaffrey instead of McCaffrey, but the folder structure (AFAIK) is sacrosanct and so I don't touch it...
Old 11-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm using Linux. The original directory "Anne Mccaffrey" is still there. The other books by her are in there and working fine.
I was wondering why Mccaffrey instead of McCaffrey, but the folder structure (AFAIK) is sacrosanct and so I don't touch it...
The directory is built on what you put in the Author field. Did you move this library from another OS to this OS? You should be able to go to the tag browser, right click on authors and select Manage authors. Here you should be able to correct the case.

It would be nice for you to provide a link to the bug report so we can see what was said.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-12-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
opitzs
Avid Reader

Hi dwanthny,

the bug report is here.

In the manage authors field, I have the capital "C", just not in the calibre library folder.
I use Linux exclusively.

Thank you for your help
Sven
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
the bug report is here.

I use Linux exclusively.
I'm Afraid It is beyond my expertise.

Good Luck.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
opitzs
Avid Reader

Thank you your help!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I would be very grateful, if someone could give me a clue.
Sven
Are you using DropBox?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre will never automatically create a directory with the words "Case Confict" in them. You are sharing this library using some software (probably dropbox) between a case sensitive and a case insensitive file system. Bad Things Will Happen.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre will never automatically create a directory with the words "Case Conflict" in them.
I was pretty sure that was true, and like Kovid, I was pretty sure it was being caused by DropBox while sharing between a case sensitive and case insensitive OS. Unlike calibre, DropBox will add the words "Case Conflict".

So what to do? I'd copy out all the folders with those words in them. Dropbox changed the folder names and Calibre can't see those folders. Then I'd drag the books in those folders into the correct entry in the database. Then I'd do a database integrity check.

The other way to do it is to change the folder names to fix things. That may work depending on how much of the "Bad Things Will Happen" you've suffered. Either way, I'd do integrity checks and stop sharing case sensitive with case insensitive.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
calibre will never automatically create a directory with the words "Case Confict" in them. You are sharing this library using some software (probably dropbox) between a case sensitive and a case insensitive file system. Bad Things Will Happen.
Yeah, I have the same thing happen every now and then. I do share a library between a Linux machine and a Windows Machine via Dropbox and that's definitely the culprit. I've just learned to be careful and gotten used to checking my db every now and then and manually fixing any conflicts that might crop up. No biggie compared to the advantages IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17
The other way to do it is to change the folder names to fix things.
Usually does the trick.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
opitzs
Avid Reader

I want to thank all of you for your help!
I think you all are right and dropbox is the culprit!
It also explains, why I couldn't spot the
My test with dropbox in the VM is (in that light) a failure.
I'll correct the errors somehow and drop the dropbox on Windows experiment.

My deepest thank to all of you!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Quote:
I use Linux exclusively.
I'll correct the errors somehow and drop the dropbox on Windows experiment.
So you lied to me?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
opitzs
Avid Reader

I didn't lie, I just told you a version of the truth
But believe me, even I believed it. The VM is not even two days old... and now deleted.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I didn't lie, I just told you a version of the truth
I can accept that.