Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
ankdc
ankdc began at the beginning.

Device: 505
PRS-505: CONNECT problems?

I'm debating splurging on a PRS-505 -- it seems like a nice package, and I am intrigued by the 100 Classic title offer from CONNECT eBooks. However, I've got some connectivity problems. I have a Mac at home, so cannot download from CONNECT there. My work computer is maintained by my employer, and I am prohibited from downloading any executable onto my computer. Anyone know whether I can download the free 100 Classic titles from CONNECT without having to place a resident program onto my work computer? Any other connectivity issues if I use the PRS-505 solely with my work computer? Outside of CONNECT, how else can you purchase or swap or download titles? Can I do that with my Mac at home?
ankdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:17 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankdc View Post
Outside of CONNECT, how else can you purchase or swap or download titles? Can I do that with my Mac at home?
You could sample some of the books in our Book upload section. Most are much better formatted than the Sony classics.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you use Bootcamp and install Windows you can for sure. Parallels might do as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Taureg
Taureg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Install Windows on Parallels and you can get to Connect on a Mac - but you'll need to buy both of them.
Taureg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
JeffB
JeffB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankdc View Post
I'm debating splurging on a PRS-505 -- it seems like a nice package, and I am intrigued by the 100 Classic title offer from CONNECT eBooks. However, I've got some connectivity problems. I have a Mac at home, so cannot download from CONNECT there. My work computer is maintained by my employer, and I am prohibited from downloading any executable onto my computer. Anyone know whether I can download the free 100 Classic titles from CONNECT without having to place a resident program onto my work computer? Any other connectivity issues if I use the PRS-505 solely with my work computer? Outside of CONNECT, how else can you purchase or swap or download titles? Can I do that with my Mac at home?
Every one of the $1.99 "free" public-domain titles on the Sony Connect store are available elsewhere for free. The only thing you get is formatting that is specifically for the Sony.

I've also got a Mac at home and a laptop PC at work that blocks the Sony connect site. I ended up taking the laptop home and using it to download some of my free books, but there really wasn't a lot there that I couldn't find someplace else. I've still got about 50 credits left, and it's going to be a challenge using those all up.

The PRS-500 is being offered at Costco with a $50 credit good for anything at the Sony Connect store, and that is a much better deal.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taureg View Post
Install Windows on Parallels and you can get to Connect on a Mac - but you'll need to buy both of them.
But DO NOT use Parallels to do any firmware updating as you most likely will brick the reader. This goes for any device that updates via the USB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote