Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
briceryant
briceryant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question I have .mobi files, now how do I distribute?

Hello,

I've used Mobipocket Creater (publisher edition) to create my publication, however once I have all these files, I want to upload them (as a single file) onto the web for others to download. Similarly, to add a book to a device, it's my assumption that you should simply drag and drop a single file - but how do I create this single file? When I create an EPUB file, it's all in a single file, which to me seems the way it should be.

I've attached a picture of the files Mobipocket exported - can anyone please advise on what to do with these files?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobi Question.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	77580  
briceryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
briceryant

EPUB

Well, I've already figured out that .epub files are in fact a zip file of sorts - so that sort of answers that. But it doesn't help me figure out how to turn all the .mobi files into a single file.
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Upload the .mobi file. The rest aren't required.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
briceryant

There is no .mobi file. If you look closely, you'll see there are XML documents etc., but no .mobi file. That's the problem.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
upload the .prc file. That is the eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
briceryant

Thanks

Thanks!

But if I may ask, why does it output all that other stuff?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That other stuff is the standard OEBPS components of an ebook: html files, opf file, images, (possibly an ncx file... although not in your case). MobiPocket Creator (or kindlegen or calibre) can rebuild a mobi (prc) from those components. There's many simple things you can tweak by hand in those files and quickly rebuild the ebook.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-11-2011 at 08:21 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote