Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
* HELP * :_^(

Just a few minutes ago I transfered some books via the connect reader software to my Reader.

I "ejected" the Reader via the button right of the "Sony Reader" entry in the connect software then pulled the USB cord - just like I did at least 5 times already since I got my Reader on 7/14/07.

But my Reader froze.

Nothing happened

I did a hard reset.

Switched it back on.

The "power LED" startet blinking yellow just like it did the last time my Reader froze (see my other threat "usergenerated content froze my reader...").

I thought o_O.

It said "Starting ..." .... for some minutes. Then the screen went blank and suddenly it said "Starting...." again. I kept waiting but this loop startet all over again after several minutes.

I tried to connect the Reader to my PC.

Then it said "Updating firmware now....".
I tried to install the Firmware via the Update EXE from Sony (PRS-500 Updater 1.0.02.01300.exe).

It seemed to work at first. But suddely at the point "Installing New Software" the Updater said "Update isn't complete. Please try again".

I tried at least 6 times by now but I keep getting this error message.

What am I doing wrong?
I only own the Reader for about 2 Weeks now.

Is a very expensive paper weight all that's left of my Reader?

What did I do wrong?

*HELP*
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Please try this:

CLICK

I hope it works!
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
MacBeezle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
Please try this:

CLICK

I hope it works!
Didn't work

Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Did you try to turn of your firewall just to be sure it doesn't interfere with your USB port?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Try this as well:

CLICK
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
MacBeezle
Zealot

Didn't work either.

I'm still getting the "Update isn't complete. Try again"-message.

But thanks for trying to help.

Is there any way to mount the Readers Filesystem. Maybe there isn't enough space to write the new firmware? Maybe I can somehow delete some books from the internal memory?

Last edited by MacBeezle; 07-31-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can go here and download the updated firmware and try a flash and see if it works.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...l=PRS500&LOC=3
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
MacBeezle
Zealot

That's exactly the software I'm trying to to the re-install with.

(See first Post: "I tried to install the Firmware via the Update EXE from Sony (PRS-500 Updater 1.0.02.01300.exe).")
Old 07-31-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
MacBeezle
Zealot

I just tired to first start the connect software and then starting my Reader with the USB cord attached.

The connect software told me: "USB protocol version error".

Does this information help?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Couple of things to try...

1. Plug in the charger and give it like 4 hours worth of charge and then see if it works. If not, then try to update it.
2. if all that fails, try a different USB cable.
3. try on a different computer

Hopefully one of those things will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Install libprs500 and run
Code:
prs500 info
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #12
MacBeezle
Zealot

"prs500 info" gave me:

Unable to find SONY Reader. Is it connected?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
First uninstall and then re-install libprs500
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #14
MacBeezle
Zealot

Ok, I uninstalled it and re-installed it.

Not change in the message prs500 info gives me
Old 07-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Possibly a clarification here:

1) You're using Connect Software for all your purposes?
Yes / no

2) Kovidgoyol is the author of program called "libprs500."
(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.)
Are you using his program?
Yes / no

If "yes" on the first and "no" on the second question, then we're talking about two different programs here. (Again, someone please correct me if I am mistaken.)

I want to point out that I'm currently not a user of the libprs500 program, so what I am writinjg here may need to be clarified by someone with more knowledge about that program.

If you're trying to "fix" what is wrong with your Reader using the Connect software, then go to the links for the hard reset and soft reset . If you've already done that, then someone here will give you some more information on what to do next.

If the libprs500 program can somehow "fix" your problem on the Reader, then this is information that I have no knowledge about. (Again, someone please correct me about libprs500's ability to "fix" this gentleman's problem with his Reader, if indeed he is using the Connect software.

If you've tried the hard and soft resets - respectively - then perhaps an explanation from someone on this board with more involved sentences to help you fix the problem with your Reader would be meaningful.

Stay tuned, as I'm sure someone will offer some advice.

Don

P.S.: If I am completely wrong in my assumptions, questions, information, soft dance - then I'm going to go have a Pisco Sour. (I am not advocating being on the computer and drinking at the same time. There are young people here in their mid-20s who need to act responsibly.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-31-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote