Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #16
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by haidinhtuan View Post
Hi, tshering. Firstly, I use a fresh copy of Kobo firmware and edit the archive directly (delete fonts in usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/), then copy the KoboRoot.tgz file into .kobo folder of the reader. I've read somewhere that Kobo device always checks for KoboRoot.tgz file in .kobo folder and if such a file exists, the reader will extract the file and overwrite it on current system files.

Am I doing wrong?
This does not work. What is done with the KoboRoot.tgz is like copying files and folder to certain locations. For instance, if there is no usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-Bold.ttf in KoboRoot.tgz, nothing is done to usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-Bold.ttf on the device. With KoboRoot.tgz you can only replace files and add files and folders. You cannot delete or rename anything. But you can replace files with empty files.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #17
haidinhtuan
haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
This does not work. What is done with the KoboRoot.tgz is like copying files and folder to certain locations. If there is no usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-Bold.ttf in KoboRoot.tgz, nothing is done to usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Malabar-Bold.ttf on the device. With KoboRoot.tgz you can only replace files and add files and folders. you cannot delete anything. But you can replace files with empty files.
Thank you, I got it now! Let me enable the SSH connection or replace system font with empty files. I will post the result here afterward!
haidinhtuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:11 AM   #18
haidinhtuan
haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.haidinhtuan 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Hi,

Finally, I managed to make it work. Phewww!

For me, replacing fonts with empty ones did not work. It's time to "fine tune" these fonts a little bit.

Thank you very much tshering!!!

http://imgur.com/a/lDB2C
Old 11-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #19
duongqw
duongqw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Quote:
Hi,

For me, replacing fonts with empty ones did not work. It's time to "fine tune" these fonts a little bit.

Did you fix both title and table of content?
Can you tell me more detail how you can do this, i don't really much understand

Last edited by duongqw; 11-03-2016 at 08:22 AM.
duongqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:32 PM   #20
duongqw

Quote:
Hi,

How did you fix it, i really nead it
Old 01-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #21
haidinhtuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duongqw View Post
How did you fix it, i really nead it
In brief, you could follow these steps:

1. Connect your eReader to the Wifi network

2. Open a telnet connection to the Reader. On macOS or *NIX based OS like Ubuntu, Fedora, you should be able do it natively via Terminal. If you use Windows, this article might help: https://kb.ctera.com/article/how-to-...s-8-os-16.html

3. Delete or rename the folder "fonts" at usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/

4. Done!

Code:
haidinhtuan@ubuntu:~$ telnet 192.168.137.60
Trying 192.168.137.60...
Connected to 192.168.137.60.
Escape character is '^]'.

(none) login: root 
[root@(none) ~]# cd usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib
[root@(none) lib]# ll
-sh: ll: not found
[root@(none) lib]# ls
fonts                            libQtGui.so.4.6.2                libQtScript.so.4.6.2             libQtWebKitWidgets.so.4.6.2
fontsa                           libQtMultimedia.so.4.6.2         libQtSensors.so.4.6.2            libQtWidgets.so.4.6.2
libQtConcurrent.so.4.6.2         libQtMultimediaWidgets.so.4.6.2  libQtSql.so.4.6.2                libQtXml.so.4.6.2
libQtCore.so.4.6.2               libQtNetwork.so.4.6.2            libQtSvg.so.4.6.2                libQtXmlPatterns.so.4.6.2
libQtDBus.so.4.6.2               libQtPrintSupport.so.4.6.2       libQtWebKit.so.4.6.2
[root@(none) lib]# mv ./fonts ./fontsa
[root@(none) lib]# ls
fontsa                           libQtMultimedia.so.4.6.2         libQtSensors.so.4.6.2            libQtWidgets.so.4.6.2
libQtConcurrent.so.4.6.2         libQtMultimediaWidgets.so.4.6.2  libQtSql.so.4.6.2                libQtXml.so.4.6.2
libQtCore.so.4.6.2               libQtNetwork.so.4.6.2            libQtSvg.so.4.6.2                libQtXmlPatterns.so.4.6.2
libQtDBus.so.4.6.2               libQtPrintSupport.so.4.6.2       libQtWebKit.so.4.6.2
libQtGui.so.4.6.2                libQtScript.so.4.6.2             libQtWebKitWidgets.so.4.6.2
[root@(none) lib]# exit
Old 01-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #22
duongqw

Quote:

1. Connect your eReader to the Wifi network

2. Open a telnet connection to the Reader. On macOS or *NIX based OS like Ubuntu, Fedora, you should be able do it natively via Terminal. If you use Windows, this article might help: https://kb.ctera.com/article/how-to-...s-8-os-16.html

3. Delete or rename the folder "fonts" at usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/

4. Done!

Code:
haidinhtuan@ubuntu:~$ telnet 192.168.137.60
Trying 192.168.137.60...
Connected to 192.168.137.60.
Escape character is '^]'.

(none) login: root 
[root@(none) ~]# cd usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib
[root@(none) lib]# ll
-sh: ll: not found
[root@(none) lib]# ls
fonts                            libQtGui.so.4.6.2                libQtScript.so.4.6.2             libQtWebKitWidgets.so.4.6.2
[root@(none) lib]# mv ./fonts ./fontsa
[root@(none) lib]# ls
libQtGui.so.4.6.2                libQtScript.so.4.6.2             libQtWebKitWidgets.so.4.6.2
[root@(none) lib]# exit
i dont really much understand the step 3, how can you "Delete or rename the folder "fonts" at usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/", sorry i am not a very good at code
Old 01-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #23
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:

I’m in a same situation which is displaying Vietnamese in the Nickel GUI. I already had Telnet and SSH setup on my Kobo so I proceeded to rename the fonts folder in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib to fonts_orig. After this I exit the session, turned off the Wifi and reloaded nickel (by going to KSM08 and back). Now the Nickel GUI has only squares instead of characters and opening a book will get the GUI to load (some) font for displaying in GUI but it seems to load the original font which is incapable of displaying special characters.

Have you done anything else prior to rename the fonts folder, like patching the nickel?
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #24
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
I’m in a same situation which is displaying Vietnamese in the Nickel GUI. I already had Telnet and SSH setup on my Kobo so I proceeded to rename the fonts folder in /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib to fonts_orig. After this I exit the session, turned off the Wifi and reloaded nickel (by going to KSM08 and back). Now the Nickel GUI has only squares instead of characters and opening a book will get the GUI to load (some) font for displaying in GUI but it seems to load the original font which is incapable of displaying special characters.

Have you done anything else prior to rename the fonts folder, like patching the nickel?
there are only two locations that nickel searches for fonts:
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts
/mnt/onboard/fonts
If you have removed all the fonts of /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts, then nickel can only use the fonts of /mnt/onboard/fonts (= the fonts folder on the user partition). If you have several side loaded fonts, try removing all but the one that is appropriate for displaying Vietnamese.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #25
Kozzi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by duongqw View Post
i dont really much understand the step 3, how can you "Delete or rename the folder "fonts" at usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/", sorry i am not a very good at code
In case SSH/Telnet doesn’t ring a bell or not familiar with command lines then there is actually a GUI way to do this.

Requirements:
- Kobo Start Menu 08 (what I have: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266821)
- install Coolreader https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=144, the vlasovsoft folder can be found from http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html

* the reason for Coolreader installation is because it comes with a FileManager that can be used to rename files

Steps:
- exit nickel to get to Kobo Start Menu
- start vlasovsoftlauncher
- FileManager
- While checking the top bar
- - (/mnt/onboard), tap on Up arrow to get to /mnt
- - (/mnt/), tap to Up arrow to get to /
- - (/) Swipe up to find usr, select it
- - (/usr), select local -> Trolltech -> QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm -> lib
- Tap on the Select icon at the bottom bar (third one from left) and select fonts
- Tap on Hamburger menu icon(fourth icon from the left), select Rename, and input fontsa.
- Exit FileManager by tapping on the Power icon

Last edited by Kozzi; 01-06-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #26
Kozzi
Enthusiast

Quote:
there are only two locations that nickel searches for fonts:
/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts
/mnt/onboard/fonts
If you have removed all the fonts of /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts, then nickel can only use the fonts of /mnt/onboard/fonts (= the fonts folder on the user partition). If you have several side loaded fonts, try removing all but the one that is appropriate for displaying Vietnamese.
Seems like Kobo still favor the font Georgia as I still had it in my /mnt/onboard/fonts. removing it helped. Titles, tables and VN dictionary work now, thanks.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #27
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Seems like Kobo still favor the font Georgia as I still had it in my /mnt/onboard/fonts. removing it helped. Titles, tables and VN dictionary work now, thanks.
If you want to have several fonts installed, you can try to rename the font files (only the file names; it is not required to rename the internal font names). Choose for the Vietnamese font a name that is alphabetically prior to the others (e.g. 01_myVietnameseFont.ttf, 02_georgia.ttf, and so on). This might help to give priority to the Vietnamese font.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #28
Kozzi
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you want to have several fonts installed, you can try to rename the font files (only the file names; it is not required to rename the internal font names). Choose for the Vietnamese font a name that is alphabetically prior to the others (e.g. 01_myVietnameseFont.ttf, 02_georgia.ttf, and so on). This might help to give priority to the Vietnamese font.
It did not work for me, while all fonts I sideloaded can display Vietnamese characters only Bookerly can be used to display characters correctly in GUI, i.e. I have Georgia, Baskerville and Bookerly in /mnt/onboard/fonts/, having one of the first two in the folder would result in Kobo using them for the GUI. Renaming Bookerly into 01_Bookerly didn’t help as it would just load Baskerville (or Georgia if exists) instead. I think internal font name modification is required to avoid this.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #29
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
It did not work for me, while all fonts I sideloaded can display Vietnamese characters only Bookerly can be used to display characters correctly in GUI, i.e. I have Georgia, Baskerville and Bookerly in /mnt/onboard/fonts/, having one of the first two in the folder would result in Kobo using them for the GUI. Renaming Bookerly into 01_Bookerly didn’t help as it would just load Baskerville (or Georgia if exists) instead. I think internal font name modification is required to avoid this.
The font file name are only one element that effects the automatic font selection. It was lucky with it in several cases, you might see my report here, especially towards the end (It is about KSM. But KSM uses Qt as does nickel. So they share the same, or at least similar, problems).
Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #30
duongqw

Quote:
In case SSH/Telnet doesn’t ring a bell or not familiar with command lines then there is actually a GUI way to do this.

Requirements:
- Kobo Start Menu 08 (what I have: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266821)
- install Coolreader https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=144, the vlasovsoft folder can be found from http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html

* the reason for Coolreader installation is because it comes with a FileManager that can be used to rename files

Steps:
- exit nickel to get to Kobo Start Menu
- start vlasovsoftlauncher
- FileManager
- While checking the top bar
- - (/mnt/onboard), tap on Up arrow to get to /mnt
- - (/mnt/), tap to Up arrow to get to /
- - (/) Swipe up to find usr, select it
- - (/usr), select local -> Trolltech -> QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm -> lib
- Tap on the Select icon at the bottom bar (third one from left) and select fonts
- Tap on Hamburger menu icon(fourth icon from the left), select Rename, and input fontsa.
- Exit FileManager by tapping on the Power icon
thank you very much, i have done it

Last edited by duongqw; 01-07-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Tags
kobo aura