Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Voyage vs Kobo aura (not HD or H2o)

I have a Kobo Aura, mostly happy with it, the customisation is nice as is the size but it is a little sluggish and that screen cross hatch pattern thing does annoy I also miss the ability to email books from my kindle days, I was therefore curious when the voyage was announced.

I have looked at reviews and comparisons with the aura, I can find H2o vs Voyage, aura HD vs voyage, Pw1 or 2 vs voyage but no comparison between the aura and voyage. These are both similar size wise and are also the only 2 with flush screens so this would strike me as the more obvious comparison?

Would be really interested in hearing from anybody who has compared them.

Thanks
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Which one should I buy" forum. That's the correct forum for comparison threads.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
I have a Kobo Aura, mostly happy with it, the customisation is nice as is the size but it is a little sluggish and that screen cross hatch pattern thing does annoy I also miss the ability to email books from my kindle days, I was therefore curious when the voyage was announced.

I have looked at reviews and comparisons with the aura, I can find H2o vs Voyage, aura HD vs voyage, Pw1 or 2 vs voyage but no comparison between the aura and voyage. These are both similar size wise and are also the only 2 with flush screens so this would strike me as the more obvious comparison?

Would be really interested in hearing from anybody who has compared them.

Thanks
The 6 inch Aura (which I have) is the worst lighted screen Kobo produced. I have the Glo and the H20 as well. Any comparison against the Voyage will be irrelevant as they don't even use the same e-ink screen.

I have a Paperwhite 2 and that has a better screen than the Aura so the Voyage will be much sharper and crisper considering those traits are superior when compared to the Paperwhite 2.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you are not in a huge rush, it might be worth waiting a while before deciding whether to upgrade from your Aura.

1. The Voyage will have been out a while and, with any luck, Amazon will have done something to improve the uniformity of the light across the screen (right now there are quite a few people complaining it goes from white to yellowish from the bottom upwards).

2. Kobo might refresh the Aura and make some much-needed improvements to the screen.

There's no real comparison between the two right now, apart from them both having a flush screen using capacitive touch, the Voyage costs a lot more than the Aura for good reason.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
If you are not in a huge rush, it might be worth waiting a while before deciding whether to upgrade from your Aura.

2. Kobo might refresh the Aura and make some much-needed improvements to the screen.
That would definitely tempt me. Although I am perfectly satisfied with my two Kobo Glos.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

I think any new Kobos are months away at best. Personally I just do not get the HD or H2o YMMV

The Aura is nice, I traded the PW1 for it due to the smaller footprint. The screen is ok but if there is any other light (other than that from the screen) the pattern on the screen is pretty annoying. That and I like my toys and the voyage just looks really nice IMO.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think any new Kobos are months away at best. Personally I just do not get the HD or H2o YMMV

The Aura is nice, I traded the PW1 for it due to the smaller footprint. The screen is ok but if there is any other light (other than that from the screen) the pattern on the screen is pretty annoying. That and I like my toys and the voyage just looks really nice IMO.
The best comparison you can do is to wait until there are Voyage demo models in stores and take your Aura along to compare the two yourself.

People are comparing the Voyage against the H20 as the H20 is the newest and best screen Kobo have produced.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
neil74
Connoisseur

I think the main draw of the voyage for me though are those page turn buttons.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #9
PixelKnight
PixelKnight doesn't litterPixelKnight doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite
The Voyage has really good battery life and 300ppi screen so the text is really crisp but it can be a little expensive.
PixelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
neil74
Connoisseur

So I popped into my local argos and they had 1 voyage in stock, so I decided to power-buy

It is very nice, not read anything yet but vs the aura the better screen is already obvious.

The only negative (and it's minor) is the customisation of the kobo means there is more text per page thanks to the smaller margins possible on the kobo.

The aura is still smaller height wise, the widths look the same and the Kindle is thinner. For those that are interested see picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	130689  
Old 01-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Did you end up getting a Voyage? Wondering how you like it compared to your Aura.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:22 AM   #12
neil74
Connoisseur

Yes I got the voyage, really pleased with it. The page press is still not as nice as the K4 buttons but better than not having them at all.

Only negative is I cannot customise the margins so cannot fit as much text on a page vs the kobo. Hopefully a jailbreak will come eventually or Amazon will update it
Old 01-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes I got the voyage, really pleased with it. The page press is still not as nice as the K4 buttons but better than not having them at all.

Only negative is I cannot customise the margins so cannot fit as much text on a page vs the kobo. Hopefully a jailbreak will come eventually or Amazon will update it
I wouldn't hold your breath on either a jailbreak or Amazon fixing the margins. Amazon have never changed the margins so i'l doubt they'll do it now, and as for a jailbreak, that appears to be troublesome to say the least.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
The aura is still smaller height wise, the widths look the same and the Kindle is thinner. For those that are interested see picture attached.
That picture is awesome. It clearly shows how much blacker the blacks are on the KV. I want a Kobo the size of the Aura with the blacks of the KV!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #15
austinmitchell
Enthusiast
austinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I tried to replace my PW1 with the Aura as it was smaller, lighter, had a flush screen and greater control over the reading experience. In the end though, I went back to the PW1 as the Aura had a murky screen, grey text and didn't respond well to touch.

Now that I have a JBPatch installed, I have full control over the margins and hyphenation on the PW1. The only thing that will make me change is a smaller, lighter reader with a flush screen; basically a cross between the PW1 and the Aura.
austinmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, kindle voyage, kobo aura