Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Kobo Reader.conf corrupted?

I just had a problem uploading a book to my Kobo Aura. Calibre 1.27 (the Kobo extended plugin) reports:

Quote:
calibre, version 1.27.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

File contains no section headers.
file: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, line: 1
'&\x03O\x0221.1.2.2. Storage Recommendations\n'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 571, in _upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 267, in upload_books
File "lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 305, in read
File "lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 512, in _read
MissingSectionHeaderError: File contains no section headers.
file: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, line: 1
'&\x03O\x0221.1.2.2. Storage Recommendations\n'
I'm not sure what the file is meant to look like, but it currently starts like this (od -c):

Quote:
0000000 & 003 O 002 2 1 . 1 . 2 . 2 . S t
0000020 o r a g e R e c o m m e n d a
0000040 t i o n s \n 362 % 003 M 002 2 1 . 2 .
0000060 A n n o t a t e d S a m p l
0000100 e D o c u m e n t s 023 \r 036 003 ?
0000120 002 2 1 . 2 . T e s t i n g P
0000140 e r f o r m a n c e \n 363 & 003 O 002
The text looks like the content from one of my books.

Retrying the "send book to device" fails with the same problem, unsurprisingly. Any ideas on how to recover from this?

Last edited by chrisridd; 03-15-2014 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Clarify this is a persistent problem
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That's a new one. I have managed to mess the config file up, but only by not being careful when editing it.

Unless you have a backup of the file, just delete it. The device will create a new one when you disconnect. You will lose any settings or bookmarks made in the browser, but, it will get you going.

If there is still a problem after this, it might mean the file system is damaged. Doing a chkdisk should fix this. But, if it doesn't, or it finds to many damage files, you will need to do a factory reset. That will reformat the partition and take you through the setup again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I've no idea how it happened, I'm afraid. I was just deleting and adding some books and it went.

I renamed the file in case there was anything of value in it, and things are OK again. Thanks for the help!

After changing a few settings on the Kobo, I saw a new file get created.

I'll keep an eye on it. It does look odd that the file can be replaced with the contents of another file so it could be Kobo's FAT code is screwy, or Apple's, or there's something underlying in the flash. Or it could be the old standby, cosmic rays :-)

Apple's Disk Utility just gave the filesystem a clean bill of health, FWIW.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo aura