Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Question Becoming a little concerned.

I'm still awaiting an indication from Amazon that my Aug14th ordered K3 is anywhere near despatch. However, that is not the cause of my growing concern.

What is starting to worry me is the surprising number of postings relating to either K3s with rattles, and/or K3s which keep freezing or crashing.

I may have been astonishingly lucky to date, but I have never once had my old Sony 505 or my current Sony 300 crash or freeze on me. Honestly, not once. (It was my own clumsiness which killed my 505).

I know that many of you who have received a K3 have either upgraded from previous Kindles or have used other makes of e-reader before. So, in truth, is the new K3 flakey?

I won't cancel my order, since Amazon have a wonderful returns policy if needed. However, should I now be rolling back on my initial excitement and getting prepared to be a tad disappointed?
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I previously used Sony readers and the 505 was really flaky, I have frequent reboots with mine and it wipes collection and bookmarks when it happens, rare but it does happen. This annoys me far more than my Kindle, plus Sony just don't seem to care about updates for their readers.

As for the Kindle 3, mine has frozen and rebooted a few times......however, has it made me wish I hadn't gotten it?
NO WAY, I LOVE THIS THING !!!!!
I really don't care about the odd freeze, it can be reset and I don't lose anything when it happens (as I back everything up with syncs)
I know Amazon are currently testing an update so it will be fixed soon, if there are still issues then it can be replaced, as Amazon have the best after sales care.
The Kindle is so much fun to use, don't be put off, you will love it

Last edited by babyd; 09-06-2010 at 04:26 AM.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Church mouse: please don't worry. I got mine last week and I love it. Everything worked right away, save the connection with the computer. I emailed Amazon--got a speedy reply, could even get them to phone me if I wanted- and the problem was soon solved. (had to reset it by holding the on/off switch for 15 seconds).
Also the cover is very sturdy, well made and even has a sort of groove in front for the elastic band. Very nifty, I think.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Mine has occasionaly frozen but that's because I am trying to do a few things at the same time, I need to stop that. Just remember an ereader is a computer. A basic one but still a computer so as long as you remember that you shouldn't have any issues, but if you do Kindle Support are open 24/7 and it's worth making a note of their number. They are based in Ireland and quite good.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #5
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
The lesson I've learnt (am learning) with K3 is to take things easy and step-by-step.
If one tries to do too much too soon it may crash ~ hardly surprising as it's essentially a reader, so it wouldn't be fair to expect it to be all-singing-all-dancing.

Reading's what it excels in, and reading is the thing
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Of course it is worrying reading all the posts about freezing etc and I won't lie and say it hasn't happened to my K3 - very disappointing after my K2 only froze once in a year that my new model has frozen and done restarts several times in less than a week of owning.

But the great thing about Amazon is they will fix this and promptly. Already people are testing the new firmware out which should stop all the problems. So it should just be a matter of days. Hopefully by the time you get your new Kindle, a new fix will be ready so you won't encounter any disappointment.

Apart from that it is a beautiful device and an absolute joy to read on
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
warp
Connoisseur
warp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I love my kindle 3, nothing to tell about rattling or something like that. yes, it has rebooted twice, once while highlighting text and once while using the web browser. but that's minor, it's a great product at all
warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
My K3 started going through a random rebooting cycle last week. I deleted the book I was reading and re-downloaded it and it hasn't done it since. Keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a wonky file and that will be the end of it.

From what I understand there is already a firmware update being beta tested to address the lock-ups and reboots. I'll admit that I'm a little disappointed in Amazon for sending out a product that needs a firmware update in the first month - way too nook-ish for me. But overall I can assure you I have no regrets at all on my K3 purchase. I love the screen and the WiFi and my case with the light and the screen and my battery indicator never seems to deplete and the redesign of the controller ... and did I mention the screen? I love that screen.

No rattles for me. If I ran across that I'd be on the phone to Amazon the first day requesting a replacement. Nothing in there should be rattling.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I haven't used my Kindle enough to give a final verdict, but I'll say that hardware-wise mine seems fine. No rattle problems, no screen problems etc. I haven't had any software trouble yet, but I've only been using it for a day so... But if it's "just" software problems, then that's ok with me since it can be fixed with firmware upgrades.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
While I will be returning mine this week because I decided I want an Ipod Touch 4th Gen instead, I have had none of the problems mentioned on the one I got this week.

If I had one gripe it would be the next page button placement. For the way I like to hold a reader the button is nowhere near where I need it. So, I have to move my other hand off my lap reach up and tap the next page button on every turn. Annoying to say the least. But other than that the K3 is a nice reader for sure and I don't think you will have any issues hardware wise. If so, Amazon will make good.

Don't worry about it. You'll be satisfied in the end.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
I have one of the ones that rattle and I wouldn't worry about it. I got my Kindle about 10 days ago and have been using it constantly. I have put about 250 books on it, have been using the web browser, the speech to text and listening to music as well as reading. In that time it rebooted twice in the first few days and I did a reboot when the speech to text would keep stopping after reading one or two pages. For the last 4 days of constant use I have had no trouble.

I also have a prs-505. While I really liked it, my sony rebooted all the time and took up to 5 minutes to reboot unlike the kindle which takes hardly anytime at all. Since I got the Kindle I haven't picked up my Sony once.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not in the market for a new ereader right now, but if I were, I'd be very hesitant to order the K3 at this particular time. Amazon's CS is excellent and all, but I for one, would wait until there was verification that the issue had been resolved. Given their track record, I'm sure it will be quickly remedied, but until then... the risk (however slim) of getting a unit that was "freezing", or spontaneously rebooting, or experiencing slow page turns would be more than enough of a deterrent for me.

I'm not bashing the K3 (or anyone here), but I really don't understand the people who are saying; "Sure, mine has frozen and rebooted a few times, but I still love it!" Just the threat of it freezing on me would have me bookmarking every other page so I didn't lose my place in the book I was reading. Who needs that kind of stress while relaxing with a good book?

Sure, Amazon is working on the problem... but that just confirms the fact that there IS a problem. I say if you haven't ordered one yet--wait until it's fixed.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have a K3 wifi on order. I am also a little concerned but I have to believe that Amazon will make good. Most of the issues I have read seems to indicate that the firmware needs to be fixed. Which I full believe they will. But the issues with the quality is what really concerns me. But I can understand it seeing that I came for mfg. and I know what the issues are with starting to build a new product. It can take a few batches to work out the bugs in the process.
Amazon has to much as stack to not get it right.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sony PRS 900 had its own problems

My Sony PRS 900 occasionally used to freeze on a book and it could not be opened. To solve it, I had to open another book, then the frozen book and start again. It lost all bookmarks when that happened.

However, my Kindle WiFi LG 3 just received 10 days ago went into a series of spontaneous resets after having it in motion for a time. Its being replaced by Amazon. It appears only the WiFi has this problem.

For those just ordering it the following seems to be the lot affected:

First 7 digits of serial number: B008A0A
Software version: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-06-2010 at 09:58 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I sure hope the problems aren't only with the Wifi that is what I have ordered. If needed I will just download my books to my pc then transfer them to the kindle. That is the way I have always done it. I had an EZReader basic that I loved, but when my sister-in-law was sick I let her have it and I used my netbook that is when I started getting kindle books. I have just made up my mind that I wanted the kindle seeing it is so much smaller and easier to care around. Not to say that it would be much easier on the old eyes.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote