Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
tyler.
tyler. began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Armageddon / End of the world books?

This sub-genre of books has to be the most compelling for me by far. Although I'm extremely sad to say I don't have many books like this. Getting my nook on Tuesday though, and want to fill it up!

Although its not quite the same, The Hunger Games and Catching Fire were absolutely amazing to me. I've gotten chills, nightmares, laughter and sadness all from those 2 books - can't wait for #3!
tyler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:00 AM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68693

This is a free ebook that I posted in this forum, thats the link above. Its called Lights Out by a guy named HalfFast. Its an excellent book. Ive heard a lot of people who are into TEOTWAWKI fiction say this is one of the best.

Oh it also easily converts to epub. I did have to create the Table of Contents after the conversion though. If you don't want to go through the conversion process just let me know and I'll email it to you.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Also another good one which is free as well is called We Interrupt This Program by John Oliver. Not as good as Lights Out but still a very good read. Can't remember where I found it. I converted it to epub as well and created a Table of Contents. So like my previous post just let me know and I will send it to you.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Lucifer's Hammer by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven. Think I've read it twice. Excellent.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
liono33
Lilly
liono33 began at the beginning.

Device: WISEreader N518

liono33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams takes a lighthearted look at the end of the world. Earth is destroyed in the first chapter to make way for a hyperspace bypass.

There are also a few good short stories out there about the end of the world. "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C. Clarke is one of the best ones.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I happen to be reading Steve Alten's "Domain" today. Yikes!

For apocalyptic mood, nothing I've read beat Cormac McCarthy's "The Road."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Jamp
Jamp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
You might want to try War with News or White Disease by Karel Capek (or Krakatit, I didn't read it but heard good things about it), they are both good written and visionary.
Jamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Charbuque
Charbuque began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V5
Level 7 - Mordecai Roshwald. Excellent depiction of preparations for nuclear destruction.

I am Legend - Try the book (forget the film - it's ending was a travesty and the book didn't deserve it - I am Just Another Hollywood Hero would have been a better title)
Charbuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Also The Plague Trilogy by Jeff Carlson was very good. The Plague Year, The Plague War and The Plague Zone.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
The Road - Cormac McCarthy , Plague Year - Jeff Carlson, Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood, The Stand - Stephen King, Deep Fathom - James Rollins, The Patron Saint of Plagues by Barth Anderson, Raising Atlantis by Thomas Greanias, The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton (a super epic, takes forever to read series but it's my favorite) - I think I got most of these on Fictionwise.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Have you read _Refuge_ by Richard Herley. Great read set in a post pandemic world... not sure if this is what you are looking for.

You can get the book for free from his web site and on feedbooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Stand by Stephen King
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you read _Refuge_ by Richard Herley. Great read set in a post pandemic world... not sure if this is what you are looking for.

You can get the book for free from his web site and on feedbooks.

BOb
I was going to recommend the same thing.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
tyler.
tyler. began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks guys for the awesome recommendations! I haven't read any of these, I don't believe - my nook's definitely going to be loaded on Tuesday now :P

I'm also interested in books that deal with the Knight's Templar and the Illuminati and all that (basically, Dan Brown.) Any recommendations for books like this?
tyler. is offline   Reply With Quote