Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #76
berend
berend began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Thanks very much for your reply, ebs. It is good to have information of someone who really knows what he is talking about.

I'll give it a try after my holiday (I am leaving for Italy a week from now ).
Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #77
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Yo do not need internet access for that. When you are in terminal you can type

date MMDDHHMMAAAA

And you will get yor K on time.
Anything else we can do directly in terminal?

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-25-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #78
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
A couple of tips for dozy windoze xp sp3 (32 bit) users like myself:

- use google to find and install the windows gumstix usb linux rndis driver - you'll need this for your USB network connection to your kindle
- if your main PC (that you will connect your kindle by usb to) has its main ethernet (or wifi) LAN connection set as eg 192.168.1.x then choose a different subnet for the HOST IP and KINDLE IP referred to above - eg 10.1.0.1 for Kindle and 10.1.0.2 for host (that's right - your main PC will have two network addresses now, 192.168.1.x and 10.1.0.2 and you will need to set 10.1.0.2 manually yourself using windows tcp/ip properties)
- after you have connected your kindle's usb networking connection and got telnet to work then rerun the network setup wizard on your main PC and make sure you choose the connects directly to the internet and other computers access via this computer option. You will then get asked which network connections share the internet connection and you can tick the box for 192.168.1.x and 10.1.0.2. Then ICS should definitely be working for your linux usb connection

Hope this helps someone out there.

NB version 5 (first page of this thread) works as is without any modifications with Kindle 2 and winxp sp3. You only need to customise your IP addresses, nothing else

Last edited by mobelby; 08-03-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #79
hippocratesnoah
Enthusiast
hippocratesnoah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
As promissed, firmware update that enables `usbNetwork on DX.
Use on your own risk

Updated to include update_usbnetwork-k2.bin. I don't have K2 so this is untested - try it and report your results.

Version with ssh daemon will be posted shortly

Update: use version 0.05 which supports both telnetd and sshd
Hi.

I'm obviously missing something. At least I'm missing a link to the firmware file. Can someone help me here please. Where do I find version 0.5?

TIA
-h
Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #80
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Go to the thread list, find this thread and you'll see small icons, one of them will show you list of files attached to this thread
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #81
chucks
chucks began at the beginning.

Hi all,

I've been following this topic keenly. But somehow I cannot get my usbnetwork to work on my Mac for my DX.

My Airport has IP of 180.182.7.31

So I edit Host IP to be 180.182.7.32
And Kindle IP to be 180.182.7.33
And I remove the # as per earlier posts in the script.

After issuing `usbNetwork and connecting to the Mac, an adapter was detected, which I enter IP as 180.182.7.32.

Then I went over Internet Connection Sharing and share my Airport with this new adapter.

Next, I'm stuck. I can ping 180.182.7.32 but not 180.182.7.33 (Kindle IP).
I cannot telnet into the Kindle too. I either get connection refused or timeout.

I'm not sure if I miss any steps. Or if I set the IP addresses wrongly?

Appreciate if any gurus here can advise.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #82
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
Hi all,

I've been following this topic keenly. But somehow I cannot get my usbnetwork to work on my Mac for my DX.

My Airport has IP of 180.182.7.31

So I edit Host IP to be 180.182.7.32
And Kindle IP to be 180.182.7.33
That's a bad idea - you made all interfaces belong to the same network.

My suggestion, start with unchanged script and use 192.168.2.1 for your host USB adapter.
When you verify that you can access Kindle we can work on setting up NAT on your Mac.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #83
chucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
That's a bad idea - you made all interfaces belong to the same network.

My suggestion, start with unchanged script and use 192.168.2.1 for your host USB adapter.
When you verify that you can access Kindle we can work on setting up NAT on your Mac.
Hi ebs,

Thanks much for the advise. Will try later when I got home.

Just a quick question. My router (180.182.7.1) is set to assign DHCP range from 180.182.7.2 to 180.182.7.100. As you can see my Airport IP belong in that range.

So if I use back the unchanged script and use host IP as 192.168.2.1 and Kindle IP as 192.168.2.2(?), do I need to change anything on my router end? I had the impression that 192.168.2.1 is not in the range, so wouldn't be "seen".

Pardon me for the noob questions. And thanks again.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #84
ebs
Zealot

You don't have to change anything on your router if you use some kind of NAT on your Mac, OS X probably use some different name for this (more user friendly), if you stuck, you can send me private message and I'll try to see how it works in OS X (I use Linux on my macbook).
Old 08-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #85
chucks

Finally, I'm able to enable telnet into my KDX, and access the Kindle Store.

Thanks all for the help!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:32 AM   #86
a-kon
a-kon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Thanks to all for this thread. Got my Kindle2 back on line in Aus.
Just a couple of queries...
I followed mobelby' s intructions for ip's
Used 10.1.0.1 for KINDLE_IP and 10.1.0.2 for HOST_IP, removed the # from #route add default gw {$HOST_IP}
I also followed imode's instructions
ie the changes shown below
>>opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf
>>
>>Look for "USE_WAN" and set it to false.
>>
>>Next type the following:
>>
>>1. mntroot rw
>>2. vi /etc/resolv.d/resolv.conf.default
>>3. add the line: nameserver <your DNS IP>

So I can now access the kindle store - and purchase sync my books. Great!
However I cant use the experimental web (not a big deal I know) just interesting.

My error is shown below - regardless of the url I try to get to.
HTTP Error: 403
Forbidden+for+Client%3A+amz%5F2010

RequestURL=/

Anyone seen this - anything I need to do or worry about?

Also a quick one on timezone - can I change the kinlde timezone? Or will this upset things?

Cheers
Old 08-16-2009, 04:04 AM   #87
ebs
Zealot

You probably have to modify HTTP_NON_PROXY_HOST and HTTPS_NON_PROXY_HOST in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf
Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #88
Thruth
Thruth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Have to thank you ebs.

My Kindle2 was registered/activiated in the US whisperNET after purchase, with latest firmware 2.0.4. Then it came to China. For the firmware thing I posted a post in the other section, it is FAST, and very amusing when you use Txt-to-speech with Chinese articles.

Following instructions within this thread I got what most remote people want:

- So called working Emulation of WhisperNET: That you could buy and download books directly from your kindle when you are not in the US. It works but not as same as in the real whispernet.

When you click a "buy" button, the book will not be sent directly to your Kindle. You have to go to home - menu - sync and check for items. In this way the download starts. Guess it pretty easy to understand, the emulation in essence gets Kindle connected to the Internet. However, you are not with the Whispernet so that SMS-like services cannot reach you.

Similarly, periodicals will not be sent to your Kindle regularly but you have to manually download them.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #89
gthirkell
gthirkell began at the beginning.

Hi all, Im in Australia and recently purchased a Kindle DX and setup usbNetwork etc.

Should I be able to register the Kindle via the USB connection and if its registered can I purchase / sync books as if Im on the Whispernet ?

Is there a web reference about registering without Whispernet ?

Thankyou
Old 08-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #90
Nifty
Enthusiast
Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nifty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

2ebs:

Hi! Thank you for your work!
My device isn't registered, because when I ask my friend in USA to buy it and send to me - I don't know about registration restrictions. It's ok because I don't want to buy anything from amazon, but I want to use browser feature. Can you help me find out what I need to do, to make my kindle think that it is registered and let me use browser?
Thank you!
Closed Thread

Tags
kindle usb network