Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
DragonflyKing
Enthusiast
DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
Unhappy Still waiting for KT Firmware 2.8.1

I want to release my eBook to the public domain. It's a collection of magazines from a WWI POW camp with many PNG format images. I have a Kobo Touch with firmware 2.6.1 that has the bug of not displaying PNG images. Apparently this was fixed with firmware 2.8.1 that was released in July 2013. It is now late October and I am still waiting for this firmware so that I can final proof my eBook and release it. I may be in Australia but the internet is global. Why does it take so long for Kobo to push down their firmware?

PLEASE PUSH DOWN KOBO TOUCH FIRMWARE 2.8.1 GLOBALLY ASAP!

Please no comments about side loading - I shouldn't have to risk bricking my reader just because Kobo broke it with the last firmware "upgrade".
DragonflyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firmware 2.8.1 has been pushed globally. I had it pushed to my Glo months ago. But, it is not going to all devices. 2.8.1 was intended for the Glo and Aura HD only. The Mini and the later version of the Touch received 2.6.1 and very recently 2.6.2. The older versions of the Touch stopped at 2.5.2. I believe these will be updated in the future, but I don't know when. At the earliest it will be 2.10.0.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-21-2013 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Didn't read the last sentence, so I suggested sideloading.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, David

I thought my Touch was uploading to 2.8 last night, but in the end all I got was 2.6.2.

What does Kobo have against people who live in Australia?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyKing View Post
I want to release my eBook to the public domain. It's a collection of magazines from a WWI POW camp with many PNG format images. I have a Kobo Touch with firmware 2.6.1 that has the bug of not displaying PNG images. Apparently this was fixed with firmware 2.8.1 that was released in July 2013. It is now late October and I am still waiting for this firmware so that I can final proof my eBook and release it. I may be in Australia but the internet is global. Why does it take so long for Kobo to push down their firmware?

PLEASE PUSH DOWN KOBO TOUCH FIRMWARE 2.8.1 GLOBALLY ASAP!

Please no comments about side loading - I shouldn't have to risk bricking my reader just because Kobo broke it with the last firmware "upgrade".
If you wish to have 2.8.1 on your touch you can download the KOBO GLO VERSION from the developers corner. It works quite nicely on my two touches. But remember use at your own risk.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
If you wish to have 2.8.1 on your touch you can download the KOBO GLO VERSION from the developers corner. It works quite nicely on my two touches. But remember use at your own risk.

regards

JAck
so just to confirm the 2.81 firmware works ok on the touch?? has the cbr issue been fixed?
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
so just to confirm the 2.81 firmware works ok on the touch?? has the cbr issue been fixed?
It works fine, as to the Cbr issue, well I don't use CBR so cannot comment on that. Again its use it at your own risk.

regards,

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
What does Kobo have against people who live in Australia?
Canadians! Why does it have to be Canadians?!?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
I don't know about the issues with CBR files as I don't have any, however I have also installed 2.8.1 on my Touch (B model) and Mini with out any issues. I had 2.6.1 on the Touch and the issue with images not being displayed in EPUBs was driving me nuts, downgrading to 2.5.2 would require a device reset and that version had issues with the covers being blank (though calibre can be made to load cover images to over come this defect). In any case I was tired of the lack of progress on any new firmware coming out for the touch, read about other people upgrading to the newer unsupported version and thought what the hell, and did it.

I am sure 2.8.1 has defects (again I don't have any comic type files so I can't comment on their function) however at least now I can have a working cover, and working book images. I suppose if you want to play it safe and if you have the Touch B or C, remove the back and clone the SD card, and do the same for the Mini (while you have to pry the touch apart, on the mini once you remove the snapback, you just need a Phillips 0 or 1 screw driver to remove the six screws, the white (or black) back panel just needs to be gently pulled away from the tabs on the bezel. Do a search and you can find detailed instructions of how to deal with the microSD card. Hey it is also a good excuse and chance to increase the onboard storage of the mini since it lacks an external memory slot.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

I have the touch with 2gig internal and sd slot..

2.81 doesn't work for me just the same as 2.62.... no comic files can be read nor does it see the sd card only the internal storage!!! back to 2.52 for me :-(
Old 10-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
I have the touch with 2gig internal and sd slot..

nor does it see the sd card only the internal storage!!! back to 2.52 for me :-(
Did you insert the SD card while the Touch was running? Or was it in when you started the device? There is a bug in recent firmware on the Touch that means it doesn't see the SD card when it is started. Eject the card and re-insert it while the Touch is running, and it should be recognised.

Of course, there are other reasons for the card not to be seen, but if it was seen in an earlier firmware, it should be with the later.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
DragonflyKing
Enthusiast
DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.DragonflyKing can eat soup with a fork.

Thanks for the feedback but I did make it clear
Quote:
Quote:
download the KOBO GLO VERSION from the developers corner...use at your own risk
Quote:
upgrading to the newer unsupported version and thought what the hell...remove the back...you have to pry the touch apart...
I was hoping that posting in this forum would prompt Kobo to do the right thing as it seems to be the de facto support portal (Their site not allowing any feedback at all).

Last edited by DragonflyKing; 10-22-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
lohtse
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you insert the SD card while the Touch was running? Or was it in when you started the device? There is a bug in recent firmware on the Touch that means it doesn't see the SD card when it is started. Eject the card and re-insert it while the Touch is running, and it should be recognised.

Of course, there are other reasons for the card not to be seen, but if it was seen in an earlier firmware, it should be with the later.
yep inserted whilst running and never works!!! annoying but thats life
Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
DragonflyKing
Enthusiast

Your post is off topic. Please start your own thread.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyKing View Post
I was hoping that posting in this forum would prompt Kobo to do the right thing as it seems to be the de facto support portal (Their site not allowing any feedback at all).
That is not going to happen. Kobo decided months ago not to release 2.8.1 for the Touch or Mini. I assume they had their reasons and I doubt they have changed. And I don't think it will change until at least the next firmware version.

If you want to use 2.8.1 on a Touch, the only choice is to sideload it.

Tags
2.6.1, 2.8.1, firmware, kobo