Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
QuantumToilet
QuantumToilet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Unhappy Kobo Touch Reader COMPLETE new setup

Hi there!

As the idiot I am I accidentally formatted my Kobo Touch when I actually wanted to format an USB. Well, now that the damage is done, is there a way to make a complete new setup? There seems to be a bit of software left on it (as it shows me: Please visist kobosetup.com) but a factory reset obviously doesn't work anymore.

So I was wondering:

1. Whats the file system of the Kobo? Ntfs? fat32? I then could reformat it.
2. Can I somewhere download all the files the original Kobo had? I just read it is possible to manually install a firmware upgrade so together with all previous files and the file system it should be somehow possible to fix that.

I am counting on you mobileread!

Thanks in advance!
QuantumToilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Formatting the user partition should not do much harm. Did you try to connect it again to the PC? It seems your Touch is in the before-setup state. Try to set it up again in the same way as you did at the very beginning.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Yeah, if I understand correctly the root and recovery partitions never get mounted, so you can't touch them.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

The root and recovery partitions are ext3, if I recall correctly, and they're not accessible (even under Linux) unless you rip out the uSD card or applied a mod. So if you didn't do that, or install any mods, a straight format as FAT32 should get it up and running again.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
QuantumToilet

Thanks a lot for all the tips so far! I already connected it with a PC but neither the Kobo software nor Calibre detects it anymore. I formatted it now the 1.33G partition with fat32 (gparted), but no change. I plugged it in, started the kobo software and it told me no device connected. calibre at least says communication failed.
any ideas?

EDIT: It only shows me a: Connect to Computer button, and after that, Visit kobosetup.com. Thats all.

Last edited by QuantumToilet; 07-10-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
What happens when you visit kobosetup.com?
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you try a factory reset anew after fat32 formatting? You said that the Kobo software and calibre does not recognize the reader, but does the PC see it? If yes, is there .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite? If yes, add to the table "user" a second row with any values.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumToilet View Post
1. Whats the file system of the Kobo? Ntfs? fat32? I then could reformat it.
2. Can I somewhere download all the files the original Kobo had? I just read it is possible to manually install a firmware upgrade so together with all previous files and the file system it should be somehow possible to fix that.!
You should only have been able to format the user partition which is FAT32. You might want to try a factory reset. Either hold the power button off for ~15-30 seconds to ensure your Touch is powered off and release the power button. Then hold the home button in while you slide the power button off/on. Continue to hold the home button until the LED starts rapidly flashing.

You can also do this by holding the home button and doing a pin hole reset. As above, release the home button when the LED starts rapidly flashing. This should restore your user partition to it's factory state.

Good luck!
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
tshering
Wizard

QuantumToilet,

if your problem still exists, have a look at this thread.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
QuantumToilet

Hi guys!

Sorry for the late answer but I only just arrived from backpacking and I had no internet. I tried what you said and THANKS! my Kobo is up running again! Factory reset was working again after formating it as fat32 (before it wasn't, no idea why).

So thanks a lot guys!

Tags
file system, firmware, formating