Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #1561
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Jim Butcher replaced by a Chilton’s manual in a Dana Stabenow book

Quoted from Whisper to the Blood by Dana Stabenow.

(16 year old Johnny just got his driver's license and a 1981 Ford pickup)
Quote:
Today they were looking at the engine, a superfluous activity because in operation the pickup sounded like a contented tiger. Kate had had Rachel in Anchorage send up a Chilton’s manual for Ford pickups from 1965 to 1986, which had immediately replaced Jim Butcher as Johnny’s preferred recreational reading.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-18-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: add info
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #1562
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Quoted from Whisper to the Blood by Dana Stabenow.

(16 year old Johnny just got his driver's license and a 1981 Ford pickup)

You know why? Harry's master mechanic is a myth. Wishful thinking. Why do we never actually read how the mechanic is working - just like magic? But with magic he would break it even worse

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #1563
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
In my constant quest to find things I like between Dresden novels, discovered Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series this weekend. Gotta say, I thing they are pretty fantastic.
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #1564
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklizro View Post
In my constant quest to find things I like between Dresden novels, discovered Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series this weekend. Gotta say, I thing they are pretty fantastic.
I think I've said it a couple of times in this thread, but me too! Of course, there are some things I'd nitpick about, but that's true of any series. Enjoy!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #1565
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Out of the authors most read by fans of Jim Butcher on Literature Map, how many have you read?

I believe there are 47 listed - I've read something from only 13, with 6 more planned this year. My top five so far from that list are Karen Chance, Kim Harrison, Ilona Andrews, Seanan McGuire and Patrick Rothfuss.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #1566
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Out of the authors most read by fans of Jim Butcher on Literature Map, how many have you read?
Charlene Harris (The Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse Series) & Kim Harrison (The Hollows)

A few of this names floating around are on my TBR.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #1567
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Literature Map

Quote:

I believe there are 47 listed - I've read something from only 13, with 6 more planned this year. My top five so far from that list are Karen Chance, Kim Harrison, Ilona Andrews, Seanan McGuire and Patrick Rothfuss.
Thanks for the link, I remember seeing it a long time ago, but forgot about it and haven't ever been back.

How about Patricia Briggs?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #1568
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool KC Signing Event Rescheduled

Quoted from jim-butcher.com
Quote:
Jan 21, 2013

The Kansas City signing event has been rescheduled for this Thursday at 7pm! Join Jim and your fellow fans at:

Unity Temple on The Plaza, Sanctuary
707 W 47th Street
Kansas City, MO 64112

Admission tickets are required. Tickets for the original November 29th event are valid for this rescheduled time. Get all the details and ticketing info at Rainy Day Books.com.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #1569
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
How about Patricia Briggs?

I'd put her at #6. I felt her last two novels were missing a little something.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #1570
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
I have only read four of the authors listed and those were way out on the edges, but clustered together (more or less). Also, these are authors I've read way before I got into the Dresden Files.

Example: George R.R. Martin's Wild Card series was my go-to read in the '80s.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #1571
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool How many have you read?

Quote:

The below 14 for me:

Marion Zimmer Bradley
Anne McCaffrey
Piers Anthony
Mercedes Lackey
Rick Riorden
Kim Harrison
Spider Robinson
Lois McMaster Bujold
Patricia Briggs
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Charlaine Harris
Simon R. Green
Ilona Andrews
Kevin Hearne

In the 47 did you count the duplicates and triplicates?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #1572
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
In the 47 did you count the duplicates and triplicates?

Got Laurell Hamilton but missed Simon Green - so 45?

Is your list ordered in any way?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #1573
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Example: George R.R. Martin's Wild Card series was my go-to read in the '80s.
He's up next for me so I hope that's a good sign!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #1574
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool 3 Simon Greens

Quote:
Got Laurell Hamilton but missed Simon Green - so 45?

Is your list ordered in any way?
Ah, but there are 3 Simon Greens.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #1575
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Ah, but there are 3 Simon Greens.

I have read at least 1 book from almost all of them. And all the books from the some of the names that are bunched below Jim butcher. A few names from that bunch are new to me should put them on my TBR lists.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy