Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #106
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Added some screendumps of my system which on the last page shows version number. Wonder what version number you guys are running?

Is the "SYM" key used in the released english version ? (it is not in mine )

Last edited by FethryDuck; 11-07-2010 at 03:48 PM.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #107
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just installed it, works great, except for the fact that MOBI reading is not as good as reading it on the original Kindle 3 firmware.

For some reason, when reading a MOBI using Duokan, the formatting/spacing is a messed up while reading on the Kindle 3 firmware, it works as should.

But, I think that has to do with the font I am using.

One request I have for Duokan is to support the Kindle 3 Collections and to use the Kindle 3's page locations - so if you're on Page 103 on the Kindle 3, when you switch it to Duokan, you will also be on Page 103 instead of Page 1 etc.

Last edited by SunLight; 11-07-2010 at 04:22 PM.
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #108
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
Just installed it, works great, except for the fact that MOBI reading is not as good as reading it on the original Kindle 3 firmware.

For some reason, when reading a MOBI using Duokan, the formatting/spacing is a messed up while reading on the Kindle 3 firmware, it works as should.
Have no good answer. They have their focus on PDF, Epub, etc. - but I have seen examples of Mobi being reasonable while Epub has been more messy, etc. And examples I have never seen better in any program.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #109
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there no way to rotate the screen using Duokan, like how the Kindle 3 preforms this very function?
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #110
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
Added some screendumps of my system which on the last page shows version number. Wonder what version number you guys are running?

Is the "SYM" key used in the released english version ? (it is not in mine )
My software version is 0.5.13.6613 Beta26

If I have a book open, and I start to type, the search windows opens, like in Kindle, then the SYM key gives all the symbols. I think they are the same as in Kindle.

Edit: Bookmarks work fine. Never mind the crap I wrote. Which you now can't read because I deleted it. I wish I had real-time real-life edit...

Last edited by montalex; 11-08-2010 at 10:12 AM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #111
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Thank you..
Now where can I get the chinese ebooks?
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #112
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got a dictionary working, following Polvo's directions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105847

However, I couldn't download a working dictionary from his sources, but got one here:

http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php

Important! When searching for a dictionary, under Other Options, you have to select StarDict format.

I chose The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44

Works great! And has the audio, also. That right, some little guy inside the Kindle reads your word for you. Thanks, Polvo!

Last edited by montalex; 11-08-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #113
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I got a dictionary working, following Polvo's directions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105847

However, I couldn't download a working dictionary from his sources, but got one here:

http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php

Important! When searching for a dictionary, under Other Options, you have to select StarDict format.

I chose The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44

Works great! And has the audio, also. Thanks right, some little guy inside the Kindle reads your word for you. Thanks, Polvo!

I am going to get this working tonight too
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #114
FethryDuck
Addict

Great work guys !

I am so frustrated - why did I have to break an arm now ! Well, in a hazy fog of painkillers, all I could do - was a little dreaming ..

---------------------------------

..but the SYM key would be nice to get imidiatly - OR ? invoke something special - like Function keys ?
SYM+Q= ;debugOn, SYM+W= ~usbNetwork ...??

I will not be able to upgrade right now, but wondered if you can enter usbNetwork from duokan ?
( assume they have modified the run-levels, see #84 and #87 )

Then - there HAS to be some way to stop the timeout ! ( a local process did not prevent it from going to sleep after 10 minutes. )

hmm... gee, someone else has finally asked about the timeout ..

And then, .. I have wondered about the keyboard - duokan uses a lot of ALT+"key" to invoke functions.
Need a lot of special keys for the alphabet - perhaps it should follow some model-M keyboard layout, as there were some national standards one could look at ? At least one would need national layouts of the symbols, or it would be too cumbersome to reach the most needed keys in different languages.

The input settings page - (in my case -see #2) has engl-piny-wubi-latin (not sure what default and optional settings mean - hmm... maybe I am nothing but a dreamer ?

quack-quack...
Old 11-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #115
montalex
Fanatic

Oh! Broke your arm, Duck? That really blows, as they say in Latin (what is with the setting in Duokan for Latin input? Are they using this in Vatican City?).

As far as upgrading goes, couldn't you just copy over the DK folders with the newer ones? Of course then you'd have to reset language, etc.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #116
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

wtf no english-dutch stardict
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #117
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Oh! Broke your arm, Duck? That really blows, as they say in Latin (what is with the setting in Duokan for Latin input? Are they using this in Vatican City?).

As far as upgrading goes, couldn't you just copy over the DK folders with the newer ones? Of course then you'd have to reset language, etc.

Just after publishing my first entry here, I had a bad fall with fractures in a foot and elbow. A kindle turned out to be hard to operate with only one hand.

I doubt they use it in Vatican City I suppose the latin settings, is for latin keyboard. Wubi is as far as I can understand, a layout in which you enter Chinese character brush strokes, etc. So, I may switch between 4 different keyboards, I believe. Several bookstores, while no RSS.

Perhaps someone could post some screenshots and we could compare ? (you see some of mine in the beginning of this thread )
Old 11-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #118
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
wtf no english-dutch stardict
AFAIK - you can make your own. Some may already have done it. There are some forums and in some cases several may have joined forces and made at least some partial dictionary.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #119
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
Is there no way to rotate the screen using Duokan, like how the Kindle 3 preforms this very function?
You can rotate PDFs: Aa > Direction. As for other formats its would seem that you can't.
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #120
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
AFAIK - you can make your own. Some may already have done it. There are some forums and in some cases several may have joined forces and made at least some partial dictionary.
I found an eng-eng dict and that one is working. With voice O+

Ubuntu has dicts in the repo's:
apt-get -f -y install dict-freedict-eng-nld

but ... now I need to find out if these are usable

freedict work too!
I now have
eng-eng
eng-dutch

*O*

Last edited by Rinzwind; 11-08-2010 at 03:24 PM.