Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
just wondering

I know I already asked about websites for ebooks, but I'm curious to know what most of you use? Whether you've found the sony website to be cheapest, or if there's another website like Booksonboard that you think is better. I'm not necessarily looking for FREE books, I don't mind spending the money I'm just curious about price.

Thanks
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I really like fictionwise.com and use it a lot. I use Sony Connect to get the freebies which are not free on fictionwise. And I also use Project Gutenberg a lot for the public domain books.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm one of the few people on here (it seems) who uses mainly the Sony site. I'm quite happy with their prices most of the time, and the only time I'm not it's because it's not a "hardcover bestseller" for $11.99, and is simply 30 percent off the cover price. But then I hop over to the library and pick it up. My whole system is working quite nicely
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Yeah I bought two of the bestsellers for $11.99. It was fine for the first couple books.

In Fictionwise, can I only use multi-format, or are there other formats on there too. Fictionwise has alot of the books I would want.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
Yeah I bought two of the bestsellers for $11.99. It was fine for the first couple books.

In Fictionwise, can I only use multi-format, or are there other formats on there too. Fictionwise has alot of the books I would want.
At Fictionwise, the non-DRM books are multi-format, which includes LRF, so there is no need to convert for the Sony. The DRM books come in eReader, Mobipocket, or Microsoft Reader formats. To make eBooks with those formats work on the Sony, one has to strip the DRM, and then convert to LRF format. Both of these steps are possible using available software.
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
Seabound
Steerage Class

Oh, in case you didn't know already, fictionwise is currently having a 50% micropay rebate sale on all ebooks until Wednesday. That's another nice thing about fictionwise--they regulary have these kinds of sales.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Ok thanks I guess I need to learn how to convert the format then.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Sorry for these repeated posts. I think I understand now what to do....what software do you recommend for converting these files? And is one format (ereader, mobipocket, or microsoft reader) easier/better to convert than another?? I was hoping to avoid having to convert, but I think it's time to jump in and learn how because it will give me freedom to shop at other sites.

And yes, I did see the Micropay rebate on fictionwise...I'm assuming it's free to sign up for the Micropay thing???
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
I really like fictionwise.com and use it a lot. I use Sony Connect to get the freebies which are not free on fictionwise. And I also use Project Gutenberg a lot for the public domain books.
I also get my books from this site. For my fiction, in fictionwise the others from Sony. I also search some pubmed and got some pdfs for my academic research which I use for my studies and convert them for my reader.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Sorry for these repeated posts. I think I understand now what to do....what software do you recommend for converting these files? And is one format (ereader, mobipocket, or microsoft reader) easier/better to convert than another?? I was hoping to avoid having to convert, but I think it's time to jump in and learn how because it will give me freedom to shop at other sites.

And yes, I did see the Micropay rebate on fictionwise...I'm assuming it's free to sign up for the Micropay thing???
Don't apologize for asking questions--MR members are really good at answering questions and sharing what they know. To answer your question about conversion:

To convert mobipocket or microsoft reader (lit format) to LRF, you can use Kovid's calibre software. Go to the calibre forum here at MR where you can find a link to the calibre download page and also a FAQ sticky:

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/faq.html

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

To convert ereader format, you can use ereader2html, which converts to html format, and then you can use calibre to convert from html to LRF. ereader2html also liberates the ebook from DRM.

As I said, before you can convert DRM books, you first have to strip the DRM. For mobipocket format, search for "mobidedrm" on MR. For the microsoft reader (lit) format, search for "convertlit" or google it.

Personally, I prefer using the mobipocket format. Once you have the necessary tools and do the process once, it's really a piece of cake. Good luck and happy reading!

Last edited by Seabound; 03-31-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
JenPen1
Connoisseur
JenPen1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505 (given away), Sony 650 Touch, LG Nexus 4, Kobo Arc
Price List

Quote:
I know I already asked about websites for ebooks, but I'm curious to know what most of you use? Whether you've found the sony website to be cheapest, or if there's another website like Booksonboard that you think is better. I'm not necessarily looking for FREE books, I don't mind spending the money I'm just curious about price.

Thanks
There is a new site called www.ebookprice.info that I use a lot. If you put in the name of an author (or the title of a book) the site brings up all the formats for just about all the books that that author has written. You can then pick which ever format you want at the price you want. Not all the formats have the same price nor all the books stores have the same price. Then if you want to check a couple of sites that aren't on ebookprice.info, like Sony, then just go over to Sony. They are adding more and more bookstores all the time on ebookstore.info. BooksonBoard is supposed to be there soon.

Hope this helps

~Jen
JenPen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Thanks so much!! I will definitely bookmark that info.

I've tried just typing pdf ebooks into google or even free ebooks but that hasnt really brought me much luck. I'm going to learn how to convert the format, so I will have more options. Fictionwise does have good prices compared to other websites I've seen.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
Seabound
Steerage Class

I forgot to mention that calibre can also convert to ePub format.

You're welcome!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Seabound....somehow I missed your message when I was in here before....you answered my questions PERFECTLY....I've been seeing pretty much mobipocket, ereader, and microsoft reader on most of the sites I've been on. This will give me ALOT more freedom in finding books. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Seabound....somehow I missed your message when I was in here before....you answered my questions PERFECTLY....I've been seeing pretty much mobipocket, ereader, and microsoft reader on most of the sites I've been on. This will give me ALOT more freedom in finding books. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Oh. No wonder I felt like I was talking to myself. You're welcome very much!