Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #616
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I thought that the OnDevice column was constructed dynamically and so always reflected what was really there. I wonder why you have a mismatch?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #617
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjnjk View Post
It depends on the format you convert to, e.g.: if it's epub, the metadata jacket won't be duplicated but if it's mobi, it will.
And mobi is what I convert to. Is the date of conversion recorded somewhere? Can I manually remove the duplicates? Hmmm, I guess I could delete the mobi and reconvert.
I'm so use to ePub I forgot. In a mobi file the metadata jacket is inserted at the front and isn't a separate file in the book so calibre doesn't know if it exists or not. As you indicated above you're going to have to adjust your workflow to accommodate this situation.
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #618
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm so use to ePub I forgot. In a mobi file the metadata jacket is inserted at the front and isn't a separate file in the book so calibre doesn't know if it exists or not. As you indicated above you're going to have to adjust your workflow to accommodate this situation.
I wish there was an indicator on the book indicating when it was converted, that would help me avoid double conversions.

At any rate, Calibre is a fantastic program.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #619
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I wish there was an indicator on the book indicating when it was converted, that would help me avoid double conversions.

At any rate, Calibre is a fantastic program.
There is. sort of
In the meta-data viewer:
1) If you hover over ant format, it now shows the file date a)Last Viewed in Calibre's viewer (Calibre leave a custom marker inside), ( for EPUB Use T (tweak-epub to explode the epub and see the file timestamps of the pieces inside. you can discard/cancel your Tweak session when done)
2) what formats exist (this assumes the reason to convert was LACK of the desired format )

What none of this shows: was what format YOU used (master) to convert to others ( or if you even did do a convert in order to get other formats)
I assume the reason you are 'converting' is that you want Format X
set a search or make a filter:
Code:
Not formats:EPUB
Now your list shows the candidates for conversion TO...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #620
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I thought that the OnDevice column was constructed dynamically and so always reflected what was really there. I wonder why you have a mismatch?
You are right. There were multiple files & I didn't delete the (correct) one that Calibre was seeing.
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #621
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There is. sort of
In the meta-data viewer:
1) If you hover over ant format, it now shows the file date a)Last Viewed in Calibre's viewer (Calibre leave a custom marker inside), ( for EPUB Use T (tweak-epub to explode the epub and see the file timestamps of the pieces inside. you can discard/cancel your Tweak session when done)
2) what formats exist (this assumes the reason to convert was LACK of the desired format )

What none of this shows: was what format YOU used (master) to convert to others ( or if you even did do a convert in order to get other formats)
I assume the reason you are 'converting' is that you want Format X
set a search or make a filter:
Code:
Not formats:EPUB
Now your list shows the candidates for conversion TO...
By metadata viewer I presume you mean the edit metadata window. In the upper right-hand corner of that window it shows the available formats. If I hover over a format, a last modified date is displayed.

I have a Kindle and convert the books from whatever format to mobi, so I won't be using the T option, at least I don't forsee a use for it.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #622
scarlet slipper
scarlet slipper began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Two Questions from a New User

I'm getting a kindle in a couple of months. I'm arranging my small ebook collection using calibre and kindle for my computer.

I saw instructions for creating a metadata page to go at the front of the book prior to conversion, but I didn't know that I'd want to do that. I searched but I can't find that post.

After I've entered the metadata in calibre and selected convert, there are choices on the left of the conversion screen and the top icon is an "i." I click that and as long as I'm careful not to touch any other icons, some text appears at the bottom of the screen that says as much metadata will be preserved as possible. (I'm using calibre 7.38)

This doesn't match the instructions I read previously. The front metadata page doesn't show up on the pc app and without an actual device to check against, I'm not sure if there's something different I need to do.

My other question is about getting files from the Calibre Library folder to the Kindle Content folder, both of which were created by the calibre and kindle app software.

Before experimenting with calibre, all Kindle books went into the Kindle Content folder and were accessible via the Home or Archive options on the kindle pc app. When I got calibre and some ebooks that weren't already prepared for the Kindle, I realized I needed a way to distinguish what files had been converted, etc., so I new books into a Book folder and imported to calibre from that there. I edited the metadata and converted. Everything is fine; the calibre library folder shows the original file format and the Kindle format.

What's confusing me is that some of my converted books showed up in the Kindle app and some didn't. Both file formats are visible in the calibre library folder, e.g., epub and mobi. I dragged the Kindle format into the Kindle folder, which removes that format from the calibre library folder and in confirming within the calibre software app, the original epub version is the only one available.

I tried changing the "get content" option within the Kindle app to look for new content in the calibre folder instead of the Kindle folder and that didn't make any difference.

The kindle folder and app shows about 15 books available but the calibre library folder has close to 40 kindle formatted books. Maybe when I get an actual device and plug it in, this will be moot. I'd like to understand the inconsistency.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #623
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet slipper View Post
The front metadata page doesn't show up on the pc app and without an actual device to check against, I'm not sure if there's something different I need to do.
Try paging back from the first displayed page.

G
Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #624
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I dragged the Kindle format into the Kindle folder, which removes that format from the calibre library folder and in confirming within the calibre software app, the original epub version is the only one available.
You should never manually remove file from the Calibre file system as this leads to the calibre database and underlying file system getting out-of-step and this can lead to strange results.

If you want to get the file out of Calibre you should use Calibre to do it. In your case probably the best thing to do is use the Connect to Folder option to select a folder to be used as a simulated device, and then having done that you can use the Send to Device option to transfer books.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #625
scarlet slipper

Thanks, G. I did try that and there's no metadata visible. I'll have to wait until I get the ereader and then confirm.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #626
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, G. I did try that and there's no metadata visible. I'll have to wait until I get the ereader and then confirm.
Just to clarify, you are converting from some format to MOBI, and on the Structure Detection tab, you checked the 'insert metadata as page at start of book'?

That insertion will only happen during a conversion. Even if your book is already in MOBI format, you'll need to convert MOBI-MOBI to get the jacket inserted.

G
Old 01-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #627
scarlet slipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You should never manually remove file from the Calibre file system as this leads to the calibre database and underlying file system getting out-of-step and this can lead to strange results.

If you want to get the file out of Calibre you should use Calibre to do it. In your case probably the best thing to do is use the Connect to Folder option to select a folder to be used as a simulated device, and then having done that you can use the Send to Device option to transfer books.
Thank you for responding. I'm glad I don't have too many books in case I have to delete and reimport. I want to make sure I understand your second paragraph.

I made a new folder in My Documents called Kindle-B, and selected it in the Connect to Folder option. As soon as I did that, I noticed in Calibre that a "Device" icon popped up to the right of the Library icon and a new column appeared at the left of the book listings in Calibre that says On Device. The book I experimented with has a checkmark next to the word "Main." When I look at the new Kindle-B folder the book is there.

Do I need to do this with all books and then change the "get content"option in Kindle to look to the Kindle-B folder? And will this process remain the same when I finally own the reader?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #628
scarlet slipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Just to clarify, you are converting from some format to MOBI, and on the Structure Detection tab, you checked the 'insert metadata as page at start of book'?

That insertion will only happen during a conversion. Even if your book is already in MOBI format, you'll need to convert MOBI-MOBI to get the jacket inserted.

G
G, thank you. What you just said is what I remember reading the first time. I knew there was something I had to physically check and thought what I described in my first question wasn't going to be sufficent. Where do I locate the Structure Detection tab? I do remember reading I'd have to convert from MOBI to MOBI.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #629
scarlet slipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post

G
Ignore my previous reply. I see the Structure Detection tab. Thanks for your help. I'm going to give this a try.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #630
GRiker

Quote:
G, thank you. What you just said is what I remember reading the first time. I knew there was something I had to physically check and thought what I described in my first question wasn't going to be sufficent. Where do I locate the Structure Detection tab? I do remember reading I'd have to convert from MOBI to MOBI.
It's in the Convert books dialog.

G
Closed Thread