Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
SPLaunchpad
Digital Publisher
SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Question What do you struggle with most when self publishing?

Hi! I'm new to the forum here but certainly not new to e-publishing and digital readers (I have a first generation Kindle, a Kindle Fire and a Fire HD so you could say I'm a little obsessed with my gadgets!)

I'm working on a website that's designed to help first-time publishers through the self publishing process - which one to choose, getting things setup correctly, converting your book to Kindle/iBooks/etc. and so forth.

My question is, what do you struggle with most when it comes to self publishing? I'm curious what your biggest obstacles are and what has kept you from doing it successfully so far. Or if you have self published already, if there's anything you'd like to know to make the process easier next time?

I hope this is the right place for my first post, if not, please feel free to point me in the right direction

Kind Regards,
Timo
SPLaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Marketing.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
SPLaunchpad
Digital Publisher
SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SPLaunchpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Hi Vydor,

What specifically about marketing do you struggle with? Online marketing? Offline marketing? Both?
SPLaunchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Charles Stross's blog yesterday was illuminating on the subject:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...f-publish.html

Quote:
Anyway: this is why I don't self-publish. Yes, I could do it. But it'd suck up a huge amount of time I would prefer to spend doing what I enjoy (writing) and force me to do stuff I do not enjoy (reading contracts, accounting, managing other people). The only sane way to do it would be to hire someone else to do all the boring crap on my behalf. And do you know what we call people who do that? We call them publishers.
Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLaunchpad View Post
Hi Vydor,

What specifically about marketing do you struggle with? Online marketing? Offline marketing? Both?
The whole domain. I sell books, but I know I could sell a lot more if I had the skills of a marketer.
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
M.T. Miles
Enthusiast
M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Like VydorScope, I would have to say marketing. I find that marketing takes up a lot of my valuable time and energy and it is something that does not naturally fit with my skill set.

Last edited by M.T. Miles; 03-25-2013 at 04:04 AM.
M.T. Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The thing that most independent authors fall down on is editing. Only a small percentage of self-published books are properly edited.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
"My question is, what do you struggle with most when it comes to self publishing?"

I think Vydor nailed it, marketing. I can't imagine a self-publishing author that thinks it's a breeze. Getting reviews is like pulling teeth with an old rusty pair of pliers. And I'm not talking five stars on Amazon.

The editing challenge is easy. Hire a professional editor.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
The editing challenge is easy. Hire a professional editor.
True enough, but sadly something that all too few authors actually do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Harry is correct - that is the place to start.
Great marketing of a poorly edited (and formatted) book will result in some sales for awhile, but will stop eventually.
Poor marketing of a book that has been professionally edited and formatted will result in slow sales - but those sales will continue over time.
Get your book right, then market.
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm not about to argue against the importance of editing - of producing quality work in general - BUT the OP was asking: "My question is, what do you struggle with most when it comes to self publishing?"

Editing isn't a struggle as such, after a certain point it's "just" money and finding the right editor. Marketing is definitely a struggle.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Editing isn't a struggle as such, after a certain point it's "just" money and finding the right editor. Marketing is definitely a struggle.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thinking about the question: "what do you struggle with most when it comes to self publishing?" The more I ponder this, the more I realize he's not asking about the editing or marketing, it's about formatting.

I've self published two works. Both in ebook formats and both in print. With ebooks I've struggled with getting an active TOC to function. With print books, the wrestling match has been about getting the page numbers to start at the right place. I'm also challenged to find away to get rid of the occasional blank page, or one sentence page, created by chapter breaks. Lurking in the forums, I think the first two problems are common with self published works.

I'll probably re-struggle with these issues in a couple of months when I jump into the process again. Perhaps this time I'll take some notes on what worked and what didn't!

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I didn't find the epub creation too much trouble, fiddly, but just requiring patience. Formatting the print edition of my first book to avoid orphans etc. was a bit of a trial an error affair for me - adjusting the various styles (chapter headings and margins mostly) by fractions of a millimetre here and then scrolling through to check the result - but compared to everything else I didn't find it too bad.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Marketing and publicity.

... And maybe my editing would be better if I struggled more with it.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, conversion, ibooks, kindle, publishing