Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Looks like my K3 finally died (updated, maybe not)

The other day I noticed that my K3 was showing a yellow charging light even though it had been on the charger for a while. I didn't think much about it until this morning. I took it off the charger, downloaded a few books I intended to look at this morning wile I was waiting on a friend at the VA, and then turned it off.

A few minutes later I'm ready to go. I pick up my K3, slide the button over and .... nothing. I put it back on the charger and still nothing, even when I came back a few hours later, it's still the same screensaver and now charging light.

I think it might be really and truly dead, and it's six months past its two-year warranty.

I'll miss it. It's been a trusty and faithful servant for several years. Ah well, now I have an excuse to look at the new Paperwhites.

Quick update! I sat and held the power switch and just kept holding it way past the 20 seconds and the charging light suddenly clicked on. It might be working, but the battery is now suspect.

Last edited by carld; 01-31-2013 at 12:56 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The warranty is only one year, unless you bought an extended warranty.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The warranty is only one year, unless you bought an extended warranty.
I did, yes. It still ran out August 5'th of last year.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Replacing the battery isn't too difficult if it's only the battery.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Spare Replacement Battery For Amazon Kindle 3
Item condition: New
Time left: 21 days 4 hours (24 Feb, 2013 14:35:28 GMT)
Quantity:
8 available / 1
Price: £14.99
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My K3 did the same this morning. I charged it over night and this morning the light was still amber, but that's nothing new, it's always done that every now and then for over 2 years. I unplugged it and brought it to work like I always do, went to turn it on and got no change on the screen. I held the power button for over 20 seconds, after about 7 the green light quickly came on and went off again. Still got nothing when I let go of the button.

I put it back on the charger and after about a minute it started to reboot, the Amazon page popped up and the loading bar showing the progress. It took over a minute to finish rebooting and finally the screen came on but there were no books, just empty collections. The screen flashed again and now all my books show up. I didn't touch anything and let it go back to sleep. I still have it on the charger now and the light is still amber after 2 hours (plus 8 from last night).

My question is, do I leave it on the charger without touching it until the green light comes on? What if it never turns green? I'm just scared I will mess it up even more if I pull the plug too soon.

Any advice...besides swapping the battery?

EDIT: The green light came on after 4 hours, I unplugged it and it seems to be working again .

Last edited by Pookeysgirl; 02-15-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
carld
Wizard

Glad to hear it's working again. Mine seems to have gotten over whatever spasm it went through, though the amber light still pops on sometimes even after its been on the charger for hours.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I think this has happened to me too. I usually charge it when it is half "empty" so I have never drained the battery, but I have left it plugged in overnight and found the next morning that the light is still yellow. I have always assumed that the cord is a little loose in the kindle slot. Now I wiggle the cord a bit when I plug in the kindle and this may have helped.

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote