Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Setting the Maximum Fee still only works with the K3. To get documents delivered directly to your K2 via WhisperNet, you will be charged. No way around it. The only guaranteed free delivery method for the K2/DX is USB cable.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
esunk
esunk began at the beginning.

Device: K3
I have Calibre, but what is my Kindle's email address? Can the K3 be configured to use an email address other than the @kindle.com?

Last edited by esunk; 06-21-2011 at 02:39 PM.
esunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #18
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
As for the fees and the @free.kindle.com vs. just @kindle.com, I've actually set the maximum "fee" I'm willing to pay to 0.00. This means that even my @kindle.com address becomes a free.kindle.com address. I'm too frugal to want to pay fees for emailing documents to my Kindle.
Setting the fees to zero doesn't stop the fees, it just stops Amazon from delivering it in a way that generates a fee. If you are 3G, it means you have to download it on the computer and transfer it.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #19
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
ah, i have 3g, so i'd have to pay unless i sideload, which isn't a big deal. ah well.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #20
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esunk View Post
I have Calibre, but what is my Kindle's email address? Can the K3 be configured to use an email address other than the @kindle.com?
You have both @kindle.com and @free.kindle.com. See here.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
Mjaydakid
Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3
Not just books, but pictures, poems, song lyrics, MP3 audio podcasts and such. I use it a lot. I have a k3 wifi. So I have to wait till I'm near a listening post to recieve my stuff. I think I know every hotspot in my housing complex.
Mjaydakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Add me to being too lazy to use USB.
I do if I need to transfer a bunch of books but for a couple I just email them to my free Kindle address.

I like that Calibre lets you email books to your Kindle but I have not figure out how to get plugboards to work with this feature so I just save to disk which is my Dropbox folder then email them to my Kindle.
If I am away from my Desktop I use my phone to download from Dropbox then email the book to my Kindle using gmail from my phone.

How's that for being lazy?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
reading some of the replies, i see how useful and convenient it is to have this email feature, and i'm sure i'll be using it in the future, and am happy to be in amazon's stable.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i see how useful and convenient it is to have this email feature, and i'm sure i'll be using it in the future,
Agreed. I'd be on it like a duck on a junebug if I wasn't still in love my K2.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #25
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I feel the need to point out that the email feature is really only convenient (relatively speaking) for Kindle 3 owners. You can set it up to always send documents directly to your Kindle via your *@free.Kindle.com (so that they always go via wifi) free of charge... yada, yada.

To get documents delivered directly to your K2 or DX (no wifi) you are going to be charged a small fee. And if you send documents to your *@free.kindle.com, they go to your Amazon account's associated email address... and you still need to transfer them to your Kindle via USB cable.

So while there are still some times that I use my Kindle's email address... with K2's/DX's, there's no; "Woohoo!! This is really frickin' handy, free, and great!" feeling. But yeah, I can see K3 owners really digging it.

/END SOUR GRAPES.
I'm seriously crushing on how you always bring clarity to a conversation

I have a K3 and I'm in a perpetual state of "Woohoo!! This is really frickin' handy, free, and great!"

I hardly ever send ebooks to myself (I like how Calibre puts everything neatly in Author folders (I'm anal that way ) so I almost always use the USB cable to transfer books). But for online articles, I use SendtoReader (for stand-alones) or Instapaper (anything I want in serial format) to send them to my K3 and it's awesome. That's how I get my daily fix of Art & Letters Daily, Give Me Something to Read, and Longform.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I always email my books. Either from my files, or preferably, via Calibre.

Loosheesh, how do you get Calibre to put them on the kindle in author folders??
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #27
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I always email my books. Either from my files, or preferably, via Calibre.

Loosheesh, how do you get Calibre to put them on the kindle in author folders??
Well, I don't do anything - I think it's something Calibre does automatically when you transfer books from there to your Kindle via USB; if I transfer 3 Jane Austen books to my Kindle, all 3 will end up in the Austen, Jane folder
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You can change/set calibre's folder creation template in the "Sending books to devices" preferences. The default behavior is to create folders for each author. That setting can also be overriden with the customization settings ("Save template") in the Kindle device interface plugin. Prefs->Plugins->Device Interface plugin->Kindle2/3 Device interface.

If you've changed the default setting, you can see what it originally was in the mouse-over tool-tip. But I believe it's "author_sort}/{title} - {authors}" Without the quotes, of course.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #29
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You can change/set calibre's folder creation template in the "Sending books to devices" preferences. The default behavior is to create folders for each author. That setting can also be overriden with the customization settings ("Save template") in the Kindle device interface plugin. Prefs->Plugins->Device Interface plugin->Kindle2/3 Device interface.

If you've changed the default setting, you can see what it originally was in the mouse-over tool-tip. But I believe it's "{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}" Without the quotes, of course.
I didn't know that ... well, I like the default behavior so no need to interfere
Old 06-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #30
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Some books are better kept in the Mobi format, rather than AZW..sideloading, for example via Calibre, is what you want to use in this case. If you only have the wifi K3, you don't have to use the free kindle email address.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote