Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question confused by epub page numbering

when I place files modified in sigil onto by sonyt e-reader, it tells me how many "pages" are in the book and allows "page number" to operate as navigation tool.

my prior understanding was that page numbers were computed from text character count within each xhtml, and thus were unaffecting by font resizing or other cosmetics.

But I have just tidied a 700+ page book that had come from MS word, and after removing all the word-related crud ( which appears in green or faint orange within code view ), the book now has only 400+ pages. but all the chapters & all of the text seem intact.

is that expected behaviour ?

if I had been paying close attention to the unedited version on my reader , would I have seen page numbers jump as each new chapter was opened i.e. as each new unneeded word styles, word font etc. definitions were skipped over ?

I cannot see anything within the sigil views that related to page number calculations, are the calculations taking pace within the sony firmware or are they stored somewhere within the epub structure ? ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "page numbers" are generated by the Sony's ADE firmware, and are a count of units of 1024 characters in the compressed file. So yes, if you remove garbage from the file, whether visible or not, you will reduce the page count.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Yes is it expected. The character count also takes the xhtml code into account. HTML from Word has a lot of garbage, so a lot more additional code.

Sigh, HarryT beat me to it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "page numbers" are generated by the Sony's ADE firmware, and are a count of units of 1024 characters in the compressed file.
Which also means that the page numbers change if you only change the compression level when zipping, too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks guys -

so "page numbers" are part of ADE spec, not epub spec; sigil does not "do" page numbers.

as for compression level when zipping - that is "under the bonnet" in sigil - not user configurable ?

moving onto garbage disposal then: as it severly impacts page numbers, & thus impacts my sense of how long a book is, I'll be wanting to get better at this.... so..

is it safe to assume that if sigil colors it green, then it can be safely zapped ?. is it practical to expect a "zap all that's green" button one day or will it always be a manual find/replace task.

ditto for all those word font definitions that appear in a washed out orangey colour ?
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
page count

Is there a specific reason why you are wanting page numbers?

Most ereaders do not display them when you are actually reading the ebook.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post

Amy
sony readers display them all the time at foot of screen no option to turn off.
ADE , when reading on PC, also shows them - I hate the way that ADE does it but again there is no option to disable.

so I've got used to seeing them & thus I want to understand how they are derived & make them comparable across different books from different sources
Old 06-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Amy
Actually most readers do display them. Which ones did you have in mind that don't?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually most readers do display them. Which ones did you have in mind that don't?
I would agree, the Hanlin and its clones do not (to have screen space for the book) but they are readily available at the press of a button anytime you want to see them. The small numbers do appear in the right margin as the page number changes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
generated

Harry you are right, most do display them. I was thinking that the numbering was auto generated, or some such thing.

I don't worry about page numbering when I make a epub file, though I am sure there are cases when controlling the numbering process would be helpful, I think it doesn't matter for most fiction.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Harry you are right, most do display them. I was thinking that the numbering was auto generated, or some such thing.

I don't worry about page numbering when I make a epub file, though I am sure there are cases when controlling the numbering process would be helpful, I think it doesn't matter for most fiction.

Amy
It is possible to control the page number. ADE has a non-ePub compatilble extension to add this capability however epub actually has a standard way to do this although there isn't much mention of it in the specs but it comes via the ncx file as an option from its DTBook roots. Unfortunately I know of no ePub reader than uses this feature directly. (Surprisingly Kindlegen can use it during the conversion process). See NCX in the wiki for more details.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 06-11-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would agree, the Hanlin and its clones do not (to have screen space for the book) but they are readily available at the press of a button anytime you want to see them. The small numbers do appear in the right margin as the page number changes.

Dale
I find this statement odd. (Astak PEz. ASTAK or Lbook FW)
The space on the bottom (about 20px) is never used for the book, only the status bar, which is hidden most of the time.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I find this statement odd. (Astak PEz. ASTAK or Lbook FW)
The space on the bottom (about 20px) is never used for the book, only the status bar, which is hidden most of the time.
the space at the bottom is 40px and yes the text can protrude into that space at least a little, depending on how the page comes out and the font size. I have turned on the status bar and had it cover the bottom few pixels of a line of text.