Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Unhappy Foxit eSlick Review - Quick

I received the Foxit eSlick and slick it's not. The firmware is an alpha release, at best.

The positives -

- natively reads DRMed PDB (eReader)
- reads ePub (unDRMed only)
- has a delete button which the Cybook Gen 3 doesn't

The negatives -

- There is absolutely no documents on the device. You are directed in the paper quick start guide to go to Foxit and download the guide. There are no PD books.

- Punctuation at the end of a line is pushed to the next line:

John ran to the store
. <---- see how the period is on the next line.

This happens in both pdb and ePub files.

- Metadata is not read. So your book title is the file name. Most of the secured PDBs have nonsense numerical file names so it's difficult to figure out which book is which.

- No metadata means no book cover thumbnails, instead you get an icon that tells you the file type.

- terrible PDF reflow with pages cut off.

- no dictionary support as in the eReader application.

- one font.

You also get copies of Foxit PDF software but I haven't had a chance to look at that.

It takes awhile to actually enter in the info needed to unlock a PDB secured book. When opening you are presented with a screen to enter in the user name and password. Below is an onscreen keyboard that you navigate with the square button. It took me 5 minutes to enter in my name and CC number to unlock the book. To move from the box where you enter in your name to the box where you enter in your CC requires you to hit the "tab" on the onscreen keyboard. Once all information is entered than you need to hit "Return" on the keyboard. A long, tedious task on an eInk keyboard.

I'm glad that I used my eReader rewards to purchase this because as is it's far less capable than the Cybook Gen 3. A huge disappointment for me because I wanted the Fictionwise/eReader eInk reader to be at least as good as the Gen 3 but it falls short.

Sure hope they're planning a firmware upgrade.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
That is the firmware upgrade! I have an older one which just does PDF and txt files, and was thinking about downloading this upgrade. back to working on OpenInkpot, I think.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I know! When I first went to the Foxit website I saw an announcement for the *new* firmware and got excited... for nothing since the eSlick already has it.

IMO, like the Nook, this product was rushed to market way before it was ready.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
MrKyle
Writer
MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrKyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I know! When I first went to the Foxit website I saw an announcement for the *new* firmware and got excited... for nothing since the eSlick already has it.

IMO, like the Nook, this product was rushed to market way before it was ready.
The guy in Freemont responsible for the eSlick product (to what capacity I do not know) pretty much admitted to me over the phone that the devices have being rushed to market/incomplete.

I personally really like Foxit's Software (it's one of the few closed source apps I prefer), so I hope their reader will become as useful.
MrKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I received the Foxit eSlick and slick it's not. The firmware is an alpha release, at best.

The positives -

- natively reads DRMed PDB (eReader)
- reads ePub (unDRMed only)
- has a delete button which the Cybook Gen 3 doesn't
A very minor correction - the CyBook Gen3 does have a delete button.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Hmm, new firmwares are very good because they improve your device, but don't correct all the bugs and negative points
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It has always had it and now it even works
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But does the new firmware actually support the delete button.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, I can certify it. Some minor details, however.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, it does!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have three questions:
  • What is the good point of a delete button?
  • What it does?
  • Kindle DX have one?

Best Regards.

Last edited by Nathan Campos; 12-26-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
I have two questions:
  • What is the good point of a delete button?
  • What it does?
  • Kindle DX have one?

Best Regards.
That's three questions, bud

A delete button deletes books in the reader library!
I don't know if the Kindle has a delete functionality, but I highly doubt it.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
We were talking about the eSlick... but anyway...

Quote:
I don't know if the Kindle has a delete functionality, but I highly doubt it.
It has delete functionality - but it is controlled by Amazon...

It's more
pholy
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
Nathan Campos
Groupie

Thanks at the time

Waiting for the answer of the third bullet...
Old 12-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
Nathan Campos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
We were talking about the eSlick... but anyway...

It has delete functionality - but it is controlled by Amazon...

It's more
pholy
Sorry, but this curiosity pop-uped in my mind