Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #61
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm new to ebooks, so I'm wondering which websites offer formats that could be used with the Sony Reader. Can the Microsoft Reader format be used? It's supposed to be readable on a PC, so does that mean it's in rtf, or is it a proprietary format?

edit: Never mind, I guess it's proprietary. And I'm guessing Adobe ebook Reader isn't the same as PDF.

Last edited by Michele; 10-01-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #62
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There are converters from LIT to HTML. Elcomsoft used to make a program which could decrypt PDF eBooks but it seems they discontinued it after the infamous Dmitry Sklyarov trial.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #63
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Yippiee!

I picked mine up at the Sony store by the Pentagon (told me I was the second person to get it). With the exception of that back clip I love it so far. I'm on the metro for half an hour every morning so we'll see how that works out tomorrow.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #64
cfc
cfc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan
Yippiee!

I picked mine up at the Sony store by the Pentagon (told me I was the second person to get it). With the exception of that back clip I love it so far. I'm on the metro for half an hour every morning so we'll see how that works out tomorrow.

Did they mention how many they initially received? The Tyson's corner store mentioned that they got an initial shipment of 12. I was the 6th person to buy one.

It's also interesting that I plugged it in to charge and the charge light went out in less that 20 to 30 minutes. It must not have had much time to lose it's initial charge.
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #65
Mohit25
Mohit25 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Just picked up my Sony reader at Sony Style, New York and cancelled my Web Order. It looks fantastic though I must confess, Sony could have splurged on a leather case for this - the current one looks tacky. Unfortunately, the accessories are yet to arrive in the retail stores.
Mohit25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #66
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfc
Did they mention how many they initially received? The Tyson's corner store mentioned that they got an initial shipment of 12. I was the 6th person to buy one.

It's also interesting that I plugged it in to charge and the charge light went out in less that 20 to 30 minutes. It must not have had much time to lose it's initial charge.
Sorry I didn't ask but it couldn't have been more then a dozen. Mine was missing on one bar on the change and by the time I transfered all my files it was fully charged.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #67
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Is there a lookup for SonyStyle stores in the US? I googled around with not much luck, kept getting references to the web store. I'd love to know if there's one in Phoenix, AZ.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #68
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekchic
Is there a lookup for SonyStyle stores in the US? I googled around with not much luck, kept getting references to the web store. I'd love to know if there's one in Phoenix, AZ.
Talk about timing! I had just posted a link to that in the Brick-and-Mortar Store thread.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:50 PM   #69
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Talking

Just got mine from Sony Copley Place :

Copley Place
100 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116
617-859-1407

They still have 8 in stock and, as I understand, can ship them for non-local buyers.

Last edited by Slava; 10-02-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #70
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
I just got mine from Sony Retail Store in Millenia Mall of Orlando, I think they got many stock there. It is much better to go to the store than order online. Save money (shipping) and time (waiting)
each is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #71
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
Just got mine from Sony Copley Place :

Copley Place
100 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116
617-859-1407

They still have 8 in stock and, as I understand, can ship them for non-local buyers.
Called them. They won't ship to the U.S. at all, according to the guy I spoke to.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #72
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
Thanks NatCh! I'll head over there!
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #73
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
WilliamG: Called them. They won't ship to the U.S. at all, according to the guy I spoke to.

I specificaly asked salesperson if they can ship, and the answer was - "yes". I guess he didn't know himself. I updated my previous post.

Last edited by Slava; 10-02-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #74
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
I just bought one from a Sony Style store in a different state than the one I live in. The salesperson initially said he could not sell it to me, but after I told him the online store was backordered, he asked the manager about it, and the manager approved it. The fact that I could not get it in a reasonable amount of time from the online store was the deciding factor for him.

As someone else posted earlier, I had to fax my payment information, then receive, sign, and fax back to him the credit card authorization form. They are shipping it to me FedEx Ground at no charge!

Can't wait for it to arrive!!

Just received my FedEx tracking #. Very exciting!

Thanks go all who posted about the Reader. The material at Mobile Read helped me make the decision between the Reader and the ILiad.

Last edited by ojleblanc; 10-02-2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: update
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #75
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
For those of you who are reading in rtf format, are you converting the rtf via the Connect software, or is the Reader displaying unconverted rtf? I think it'll do either, but I'm wondering which is giving the good results reported.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote