Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 12-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
CC Unable to find folder with epubs in Tablet

I bought CC via google play for my Galaxy Tab4 yesterday.

I connected the tablet via USB to my pc, I created a eBooks folder in my tablet and copied all my epubs to this folder via USB.

FB reader sees this folder and imports the epubs without issues.

Why can't I see this folder with CC in my Tablet ?.

EDIT;
I managed to sync CC with Calibre on PC. I'm now wondering what the point of CC is if CC opens books with FBreader anyway, why bother with CC ?.

Last edited by leftright; 12-13-2014 at 02:57 AM.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
EDIT;
I managed to sync CC with Calibre on PC. I'm now wondering what the point of CC is if CC opens books with FBreader anyway, why bother with CC ?.
CC does several things that FBreader does not do.
  1. CC shows/groups/searches all calibre metadata including calibre custom columns.
  2. CC receives changes in calibre metadata including covers without needing to resend the books.
  3. The sort/group features of CC far exceed those in FBreader.
  4. CC handles large libraries and has the functionality to find books in large libraries. There are many users with more than 5,000 books in CC. The largest I know of is 18,000.
  5. Because CC handles multiple reader apps you can use different apps for different formats.
  6. CC can detect that a book format (file) changed and copy it to the device.
  7. CC can sync read information (yes/no and date) back to calibre.
And so on.

As far as we can tell, most CC users do not use the library features of their reader app. CC is the library manager that launches the appropriate reader app for a given book.

If you never change metadata in calibre, don't put many books on your device, don't use custom columns, use only one book format, and don't mind using a cable then CC might not be of great interest to you.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you never change metadata in calibre, don't put many books on your device, don't use custom columns, use only one book format, and don't mind using a cable then CC might not be of great interest to you.
That is my scenario.

I do all my editing and managing of books with Sigil and PC-Calibre.

Why not port PC-Calibre's book reader to CC ?, it's one of the reasons that I bought CC, I honestly thought that it was a android book reader.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There are several good ereader apps out there, who wants to duplicate all that work? chaley made an app that fills a unique need.

If it isn't what you expected, I believe chaley is pretty good about refunds.

calibre as a reader app is nothing special BTW, except its vastly superior library integration. It doesn't support annotations, although it is a capable renderer.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:51 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I do all my editing and managing of books with Sigil and PC-Calibre.
This is precisely the scenario that CC best supports. Change a book or change metadata with on the pc and the changes are automatically brought to CC on next connection.
Quote:
Why not port PC-Calibre's book reader to CC ?, it's one of the reasons that I bought CC, I honestly thought that it was a android book reader.
Because it would be an enormous amount of work, perhaps not even possible given the QT and python issues, and as eschwartz said doing so wouldn't add value over the many existing reader apps.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
leftright
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If it isn't what you expected, I believe chaley is pretty good about refunds.
No need for a refund, It does its primary function quite well.

I'm still trying to figure out if the best way to use CC is to delete the folder in my tablet which has all my epubs and then re-import all the books via CC, guess that is how it was designed to work as it doesn't see my eBook folder anyway.

Thanks for your prompt replies.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
No need for a refund, It does its primary function quite well.

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out if the best way to use CC is to delete the folder in my tablet which has all my epubs and then re-import all the books via CC, guess that is how it was designed to work as it doesn't see my eBook folder anyway.

Thanks for your prompt replies.
Well, if they are all EPUBs then CC can scan the folder and extract basic metadata, thn sync with calibre to complete the database.
You could do the same with other formats but then the book would have to be sent to calibre for analysis, so it would be faster to delete and resend.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-14-2014 at 09:34 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Deleting the books, connecting to calibre as a wireless device and sending the books via Send to device is probably the easiest method.

I have over 10000 books on my tablet and without CC navigating them would not be easy.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote