Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #781
Nodnarb518
Nodnarb518 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
About to update my PW1 running 5.3.9. Just curious what the update jailbreak bridge file is. Should I apply that after jailbreaking?
Nodnarb518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #782
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Nodnarb518: Before updating, either update the jailbreak, or update the bridge. (the jailbreak installs the bridge, the standalone bridge installer is only useful in particular circumstances).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2014, 04:56 AM   #783
YourFriendBen
YourFriendBen began at the beginning.

Device: Pw2
I can't ssh with a client, but it won't connect, saying the username or password is incorrect.

So I turn once again to this great site to search for my answer. It's been two days and I feel seemingly helpful tips are peppered all over the place but hard to get a did unitive answer.

I tried telnet to try to change my password.

In terminal I typed "telnet 192.168.15.244"
It connects fine.

Then I type: "passwd"
And type in my new password twice.
Then it says that it can not be saved.

Please humble me with a few step to step instructions please, about to throw the damn computer out the window.

PW2 5.4.2.1 wifi

Thanks for reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Some generic *nix advice on that subject:
Full Linux (like other *nix based systems) distribution have manuals installed.
Embedded systems usually do not.
Web search engines also recognize the man(ual) command:
So in either a full Linux install or in a web search engine, enter:
man telnet
and:
man passwd
The goal is to have everything documented.
There are 8 levels of manuals, nearly everything is.
- - - -
TL;DR ?
If kindle IP == 198.162.1.244 then: telnet 198.162.1.244
YourFriendBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #784
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@YourFriendBen: I assume you've read the readme in the archive?

If you don't need to connect over wifi, you don't need a password. If you do, either use shared keys, or a custom password, like you tried (only you need to frame it inside a mntroot rw -> mntroot ro).
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #785
YourFriendBen
YourFriendBen began at the beginning.

Device: Pw2
Wow, that's all it took was to enter "mntroot rw" and close it "mntroot ro"

Je ne parle pas français, mais je voulais dire d'une manière qu'elle véhicule le plus pour vous, merci NiLuJe!
YourFriendBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #786
Mterry
Enthusiast
Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS T1; Kindle T3G
Hello! After jailbreak and MKK can I install files *.apk - Android applications?
Mterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #787
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Mterry: Double posting is evil.

Also: of course not. Why would you think that?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #788
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mterry View Post
Hello! After jailbreak and MKK can I install files *.apk - Android applications?
To do this you'd need Android installed on your PW. So far nobody's reported having done this, but that's something I'd REALLY like to see happen. I don't have it, but perhaps someone does has the savvy to tell us the feasibility of this being done. We had success installing Android on the Nook Simpletouch (no backlight), but when that unit was upgraded to the backlit Glowlight (similar to our Paperwhite) that's where that ability was lost. I do not know this, but the architecture of these two new backlit readers may be similar and very difficult to "Androidify".

Last edited by nypaulie; 03-21-2014 at 09:56 AM.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #789
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
To do this you'd need Android installed on your PW. So far nobody's reported having done this, but that's something I'd REALLY like to see happen. I don't have it, but perhaps someone does has the savvy to tell us the feasibility of this being done. We had success installing Android on the Nook Simpletouch (no backlight), but when that unit was upgraded to the backlit Glowlight (similar to our Paperwhite) that's where that ability was lost. I do not know this, but the architecture of these two new backlit readers may be similar and very difficult to "Androidify".
I was under the impression that the Nook product line is already running Android. And that you can still root any Nook to run arbitrary .apk's.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-21-2014 at 01:45 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #790
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I was under the impression that the Nook product line is already running Android. And that you can still root any Nook to run arbitrary .apk's.
Yes, but the rooted/then-installed Android allowed you to run apk's of your choosing, including some "home-made" ones. It's the Kindle Paperwhite we are talking about here... that's where we'd like to see an Android installation.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #791
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
Yes, but the rooted/then-installed Android allowed you to run apk's of your choosing, including some "home-made" ones. It's the Kindle Paperwhite we are talking about here... that's where we'd like to see an Android installation.
And I was responding to your statement of "We had success installing Android on the Nook Simpletouch (no backlight), but when that unit was upgraded to the backlit Glowlight (similar to our Paperwhite) that's where that ability was lost".

That is why I was specifically talking about the Nook.

And since they already run Android, it just requires rooting it. Unlike the Kindle product line which runs linux but not Android, where installing Android would be required -- and difficult.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-21-2014 at 01:47 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #792
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mterry View Post
If you have one of the grayscale (e-ink) Kindles :: **NO**
The grayscale (e-ink) Kindles do not run the Android OS.

If you have one of the color display (other than shades of gray) Kindles - then you are in the wrong forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #793
Mterry
Enthusiast
Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mterry knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thank you for your answers. I have a Kindle touch.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #794
Mterry
Enthusiast

I installed a *.apk file in a Fire Kindle. I thought for the Kindle touch, after jailbreak and MKK, was possible.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #795
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nope, completely different beasts.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch