Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
BillyBobertson
BillyBobertson began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Remove the first page of books in bulk?

My wife just bought us a Nook and we are loving it, but I have collected lots of ebooks over the years that I've read on the computer and iPhone and quite a large number of them have come from "dubious sources". There are some books I'd like her to read, except that the first page of these are set to the image of a mostly naked woman and that won't go over so well.
Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the first page of these books (I have them in .doc, .lit, .pdf, .epub and other sources) using Calibre or any other program (I can get access to OS X or Windows, prefer OS X)?
BillyBobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
There is an option to remove the first image, when converting, in Preferences under Conversion | Structure Detection. Could that work?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobertson View Post
My wife just bought us a Nook and we are loving it, but I have collected lots of ebooks over the years that I've read on the computer and iPhone and quite a large number of them have come from "dubious sources". There are some books I'd like her to read, except that the first page of these are set to the image of a mostly naked woman and that won't go over so well.
Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the first page of these books (I have them in .doc, .lit, .pdf, .epub and other sources) using Calibre or any other program (I can get access to OS X or Windows, prefer OS X)?
I can't help you with that, but just wanted to say I started cracking up when I read this...
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
BillyBobertson

Sadly the "Remove First Image" setting didn't work.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You just have to explain to your wife that all those books were gotten from people who didn't have any immediate prospect of getting married.

But seriously, add

img { display:none }

to extra css when converting. This will of course remove all images, but for most novels that doesn't matter too much
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
BillyBobertson

The image thing didn't work either.
*shrug*
I'm really confused here. When I convert to ePub (from .Lit) and tell it to remove the first image or set the CSS property like you said, this image still shows up in the ePub format. When I view the ePub file with Calibre the image is the first thing that shows up, I can right-click and "Copy Image...".
It isn't the cover though, I have that set, but it is part of the file somehow.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
BillyBobertson

Ok, it looks like this process works:
- Set the Author and Title correctly
- Get metadata from server
- Download cover
- Convert book and make sure the CSS Image Display None AND "Remove First Image" is checked

That seems to work so far.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Ok, it looks like this process works:
- Set the Author and Title correctly
- Get metadata from server
- Download cover
- Convert book and make sure the CSS Image Display None AND "Remove First Image" is checked

That seems to work so far.
I'm glad you succeeded in getting it working because the remove first image during convertion has worked every time for me. Recently, I have had the exact opposite problem with some romance novels where the first image is a scantily clad guy. The extra css should rarely be required, unless multiple images exist.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Grumpster
Grumpy old fart.
Grumpster began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro2 Stock 6.5 rom
Quote:
There are some books I'd like her to read, except that the first page of these are set to the image of a mostly naked woman and that won't go over so well.
Can anyone give me some advice on how to remove the first page of these books
Send me a copy of those pages when you get them removed. My wife will let me look. I'm just not allowed to touch.
Grumpster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ebook, image, nook