Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2022, 07:11 AM   #1
sebastiaanslk
sebastiaanslk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
Text to speach more user friendly?

Hey all,

I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite 2021 model, it's still new in the box. I bought it with the prime days. Will I be able to jailbreak it? Or am I out of luck?

I have severe dyslexia, but I still want to read, now I found out that the text to speach very clumsy is. I would like the word that is be spoken out is highlighted. So I can easily read with the text and also a play and stop button.

Is this posible if I jailbreak the kinde? Or should I send it back and buy another ereader? Thanks
sebastiaanslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
AFAIK, it's not something that's currently been done, no (and unlikely to be doable without some extensive work).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
sebastiaanslk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
AFAIK, it's not something that's currently been done, no (and unlikely to be doable without some extensive work).
Thats a shame, are there any ereaders that support this feature. Because without this assist it will be to hard for me
Old 07-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
sebastiaanslk

And if this is not an option, is there any reason to jailbreak my device, I have all my books offline, so dont need the store?
Old 07-18-2022, 01:21 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiaanslk View Post
Hey all,
I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite 2021 model, it's still new in the box. I bought it with the prime days. Will I be able to jailbreak it? Or am I out of luck?
Check your firmware version.

Quote:
Thats a shame, are there any ereaders that support this feature. Because without this assist it will be to hard for me
The kindle app on android readers might allow this, but I don't know.

Quote:
And if this is not an option, is there any reason to jailbreak my device, I have all my books offline, so dont need the store?
When in doubt, always jailbreak just in case.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2022, 02:41 PM   #6
sebastiaanslk

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
When in doubt, always jailbreak just in case.
I try to find benefits for me, I hoped there was a hack for text to speach, but apperently there is not. What are some nice feautures of jailbreaking your kindle?
Old 07-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Some of the PocketBook devices have text-to-speech. I just bought one (Touch HD3) myself last week, specifically to experiment with this feature. This particular model is quite an old one but, so far, I'm pleasantly surprised by how many features it has.

If you use TTS the book text is underlined as it is spoken so you can follow along. There is a Pause/Resume button on the page whilst TTS is running. There is a choice of many different Voices available for download (not surprisingly, many more for English than other languages). You can listen via Bluetooth headset/speaker or you can plug in any old jack plug headphones using a short cable (included in box) which connects into the micro-USB charging port.

The bigger problem with PocketBook may be finding someone who sells them and will ship to your country, but that's going to depend on where you live.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:22 PM   #8
sebastiaanslk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Some of the PocketBook devices have text-to-speech. I just bought one (Touch HD3) myself last week, specifically to experiment with this feature. This particular model is quite an old one but, so far, I'm pleasantly surprised by how many features it has.

If you use TTS the book text is underlined as it is spoken so you can follow along. There is a Pause/Resume button on the page whilst TTS is running. There is a choice of many different Voices available for download (not surprisingly, many more for English than other languages). You can listen via Bluetooth headset/speaker or you can plug in any old jack plug headphones using a short cable (included in box) which connects into the micro-USB charging port.

The bigger problem with PocketBook may be finding someone who sells them and will ship to your country, but that's going to depend on where you live.
Wow, this is exactly what I am searching! I wish I could put there firmware on the kindle hahaah.

I live in the Netherlands, I belive they are not so common here.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:40 PM   #9
sebastiaanslk

I found this, but sadly nobody reacted. This would be so great, even willing to pay if this is possible. It would be such a big help for me and our dyslexian group.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331080
Old 07-18-2022, 05:10 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Wow, this is exactly what I am searching! I wish I could put there firmware on the kindle hahaah.

I live in the Netherlands, I belive they are not so common here.
There does seem to be a Swiss website. At least it's in Europe They are listing the very latest model, PocketBook Era, which has TTS. It may be quite expensive, though.

I bought my older Touch HD3 from Amazon UK Marketplace, so I'm not expecting much in the way of support.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:18 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
I found this, but sadly nobody reacted. This would be so great, even willing to pay if this is possible. It would be such a big help for me and our dyslexian group.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331080
Nope, too many hardware differences to begin with (PB is not using the same SoC families as Kindles), and the Kindle software stack is *very* complex.

So, that's fairly squarely pipe dream territory .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:22 AM   #12
sebastiaanslk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Nope, too many hardware differences to begin with (PB is not using the same SoC families as Kindles), and the Kindle software stack is *very* complex.

So, that's fairly squarely pipe dream territory .
Such a shame, I really like the formfactor of the PW5, its way nicer. But the t2s is a thing that I cant miss. So I guess I need to return my amazon deal PW5

Tags
dyslexia, kindle, t2s, text-to-spech