Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #16
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Well, in USA the top dog at the company is called CEO, the financial top dog is called CFO, there is also CIO, so yes. Plenty of officers. But here in Europe, we view things differently.
The top boss is Herr Direktor.
Here, when you say officer, I always imagine army officer. Or perhaps a Coast Guard Officer
Well, you might call them, I dunno, Geschäftsführer, Vorstand, Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender, whatever, but wouldn't you still refer to those "Organe" as "officers" in English? I would, anyway
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Well, you might call them, I dunno, Geschäftsführer, Vorstand, Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender, whatever, but wouldn't you still refer to those "Organe" as "officers" in English? I would, anyway
Oh, I understood what you meant. But our company is definitely the most unmilitary bunch of nerds and geeks I've ever seen. That's why it sounded so funny to me. Save for the beautiful Ukrainian girls of course.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
Galina
Enthusiast
Galina began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Oh, I understood what you meant. But our company is definitely the most unmilitary bunch of nerds and geeks I've ever seen. That's why it sounded so funny to me. Save for the beautiful Ukrainian girls of course.
In the spirit of the intended internationalization of Pocketbook, but also for the company's own sake, it would be helpful if professional dictionaries are made available for little money in various languages.
Users of more or less expenses ebook reading devices must not learn python and linux scripts to compile poor-looking dictionaries. That's the programmers' job.

Last edited by Galina; 05-29-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Galina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #19
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Interesting discussion, but does anybody have an answer to my question?
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #20
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
There's a readme with the converter telling you how to do it. There are even some links in that text telling you about some download sources for PB dictionaries. For the rest (looking for free dictionaries to convert), I really can't help you. I guess there are people a lot more competent here in that field.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 04:32 AM   #21
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galina View Post
Whether "officers" or "soldiers" they don't do their job very well.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Scratch that, I'm sure I don't.

Quote:
Well, people who are not proficient of English should...
Thank you, that made my day.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:12 AM   #22
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Maybe we should clarify the problem.

We need a dictionary to translate not native languages to nativ.
If we are native english we need i.e. french-eng or italian-eng.

The converter needs the dictionary, what is more or less easy to find in the net.
AND it needs the source language collates, keyboard, morphems files.
NOT , like in my example for xxx to eng, the eng collates, keyboard, morphems files, NOOOO we need the xxx language collates, keyboard, morphems files.

THIS is the Problem, its useless to have a dictionary function for a device sold in English, german, Russian speaking countrys when u just include the collates, keyboard, morphems files for these countrys. U can NOT build any foreign to native Dict with these files.

I tried but was not able to build the collates, keyboard, morphems files for a language whitch is not my native.
If it is easy, I am maybe t stupid to do. Maybe the "officers" can provide us with the necessarry collates, keyboard, morphems files.

Forkosigan, noted my request and tries to get the 3 files from the russian forum. in that forum they did not post them but postet dictionarys in all different languages. Unfortunaly only to and from russian. They even did a eng-ger-ita-fra.... to rus all in one dict.
So u have not to switch the dict when u read books in diff languages.

Last edited by Schnitzelbrain; 05-29-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #23
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
My question in the other threads ('"Pocketbook Dictionary" and "Commercial dictionaries usable with PB 360?") was whether various commercially available ebook dictionaries such as the ones I linked to (all I think are provided free if you purchase the paper book) could be used with PB 360. Since nobody has answered that question I assume the answer is no. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Since one of them is for MobiPocket Reader and another says it is usable on "all PDAs and smartphones," though, I thought they might also be usable on the PB 360.

If not, then we have to wait for PB to produce each individual dictionary specifically for the PB, correct? Or make it ourselves, which I have not been able to do because I don't know how to make those .txt files Schnitzel mentioned. The instructions provided with the converter that mtraveller refers to are not clear enough to for non-programmers to follow. I am a linguist and might be able to help with language questions (re English, Italian and French) but the rest of it is just not clear.

Could we have some feedback from the PB folks here, please?
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote