Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I was really looking forward to this device, but with all the movement in the market lately I'm not sure it stacks up as well as it used to. I still like their back end system and what they're doing with that, but device wise this just seems on par with the other recent arrivals at this point. It'll be interesting to see how the new batch of devices like the iRex, Sony Daily Edition and the B&N device stack up. At least it's support epub as the standard which is good.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I wonder how you install the applications like ADE in your Fedora Linux that you boot into on the reader? Can it be so easy that they are provided in an rpm?

It looks very good. And I have a lot of ideas about things to implement and play around with.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #18
noonscoomo
Enthusiast
noonscoomo doesn't litternoonscoomo doesn't litter

Device: txtr reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This looks very good. The question that will decide if I buy one is how open it is? Will I be able to access everything to write my own applications?
almost everything... yes.
There is some code related to DRM and some specialized code driving the Seiko/Epson Display controller which will be closed. But we will provide a fully documented API to almost everything. We WANT you to write your own applications, you will not need to hack the device to find out where JTAG is or the serial port for accessing the boot log and so.
There will be a developer website where we explain everything and give samples.
noonscoomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonscoomo View Post
There is some code related to DRM and some specialized code driving the Seiko/Epson Display controller which will be closed. But we will provide a fully documented API to almost everything. We WANT you to write your own applications, you will not need to hack the device to find out where JTAG is or the serial port for accessing the boot log and so.
There will be a developer website where we explain everything and give samples.
Nice! I wish more companies would do that...

I've liked the device since I first heard of it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:00 AM   #20
Jason
Jason began at the beginning.

txtr Reader Demonstration at the Frankfurt Book Fair

LINK:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho8347axlts
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 03:24 AM   #21
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for that link, Jason.

The page turns seem quick to me.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:31 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I wonder if you can annotate...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:37 AM   #23
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah the page turn seems very quick, I wonder what they have done with it?

I relly like it but I have to wait and see what kind of support they will have in sweden.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #24
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I'm not sure if the way you use the trackpad is well thought-out. He mentions you need to "roll" the finger up and down to scroll up and down, "just like on an ipod". Which is not true, since on the iPod you actually swipe your finger along the wheel ... this trackpad looks to me like it's better suited for swiping than press-rolling.

But a nicely designed device, I must say. Gets awfully close to all those futuristic ebook designs, I think it's the best-looking device.
I wonder if it's "porshah-designed"
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 AM   #25
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallali View Post
They didnt mention DRM. They only said that the txtr shop will focus on epub.
their shop sells DRMed epub. I tried to browse the library and clicked on the big i button next to the format and it popups this:

Quote:
This EPUB is Adobe DRM protected. You can read eBooks bought at txtr.com on your desktop and eReaders at the same time. If you get an Adobe ID, your books will not be bound to a specific device but you can choose at any time on which DRM-enabled machine to read your books.
and (bold mine)

Quote:
You can read EPUB eBooks on your desktop (using Adobe's Digitial Editions) and on DRM-enabled electronic eReaders (like the txtr reader or Sony readers).
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 AM   #26
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Device pricing in continental Europe is totally ridiculous. It is much cheaper to buy in the US or even in the UK.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #27
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Here is ling to press release in English.
http://reader.txtr.com/press/101409%...20Bookfair.pdf
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #28
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have you noticed this little piece of information?
See this http://reader.txtr.com/press/101409%...20Bookfair.pdf
Quote:
-Protected against dirt and splash water
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #29
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonscoomo View Post
There is some code related to DRM and some specialized code driving the Seiko/Epson Display controller which will be closed.
I wonder why. There's a couple of open-sourced Broadsheet drivers - Sony's, Amazon's and Jaya Kumar's which is even included in mainline kernel.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #30
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
A press release from german startup "Wizpac" just arrived in my mailbox. It contains lots of new information about the newest eink device, the so-called txtr which made it's debut on the Book-Fair in Frankfurt today........

.....I'll attach the german press release to this post for all the details.
Thanks. Sounds interesting. I found an English version of the press release on their web site:

http://reader.txtr.com/press/101409%...20Bookfair.pdf

[Edit] Oops. Sorry. I see someone else already posted this link

Last edited by Maike13; 10-15-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote