Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #22801
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
ARRGH!!!

Every time anything from Adobe wants me to update it tries to load the Chrome browser on my computer. So then I have to cancel the install and go back and uncheck the box that says “Load Chrome”!

I tried Chrome, and I don’t want it; if I did I’d load it. Instead Adobe keeps trying to trick me into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I get that too, as well as installs that want to add the 'Ask' too bar and make 'Ask' my start page. I don't want 'Ask' as my start page any more than I want 'Chrome' as my browser! So many installations these days want to add on stuff. I can never do the simple install any more...

Stitchawl
One of the things I hate most when installing or updating. Adobe wants to install McAffee, Java wants to install the Ask toolbar and Apple is even sneakier; the last time I installed Quicktime I opted out of installing iTunes (have no use for it), but after updating Quicktime a little while later it automatically, without asking, installed iTunes anyway
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #22802
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'd rather have the Chrome browser.
I have need for the SMime feature in Internet Explorer to read my SmartCard. It’s cludgy at best in FireFox, and nonexistent in Chrome, so it’s IE for me.

If I load Chrome as a second browser, it blows up links to IE in Outlook, and requires a RegEdit after uninstalling Chrome to fix. I don’t know if that’s intentional or not, but it is most certainly unacceptable.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #22803
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I constantly run chrome and IE at home and work and never have issues with it
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #22804
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I constantly run chrome and IE at home and work and never have issues with it
The issue is when Chrome makes itself the default browser so any external links (Outlook) try to use it, then if you uninstall Chrome the uninstall does not revert the registry entry to the original default browser (IE). So now if you try to open a link in Outlook you get a not found error. You have to edit the registry and manually change it back to IE. The problem is knowing which registry key to edit and to what.

In my case it was extensive Googling to figure out what was happening, and how to fix it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #22805
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hmmmm... I forgot about McAffee.

To: McAffee, Chrome, Ask, and the others who need to sneak in uninvited;
If you aren't good enough to get customers on your own merit, you don't belong inside my computer.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #22806
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

If you aren't good enough to get customers on your own merit, you don't belong inside my computer.

Stitchawl
Amen.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #22807
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Exactly this
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #22808
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Stitchawl
I totally agree!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #22809
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Stitchawl
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #22810
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Most free installs are like everything else in life. Confusing, a bit of a gamble and mostly fraudulent in an attempt to increase the other party's wealth by removing yours. The obvious is always misdirection. The real download link is not the large green one with friendly type that says DOWNLOAD. It's the tiny one obscured in the text somewhere that say something else all together.

Last edited by wannabee; 07-28-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Typo
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #22811
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
In the war of Man vs Spider, aggravation wins.

Why is it that the damn spiders have to build a web across my doorway every day? I seem to get a faceful of web at least once a day, and the Farside cartoons aside, the webs are actually not going to stop me.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #22812
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Apparently my sarcasm in rather wanting the Chrome browser was completely lost. Curse you Internet!
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #22813
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
In the war of Man vs Spider, aggravation wins.

Why is it that the damn spiders have to build a web across my doorway every day? I seem to get a faceful of web at least once a day, and the Farside cartoons aside, the webs are actually not going to stop me.
Happens to me too. Solutions:
1. If you have a light over/by the door - keep it off. Spiders build webs next to lights -- which attract bugs.
2. Find the spider and move/kill it - no matter how many times you destroy the web, they will rebuild!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #22814
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

One or more mosquitos attacked me during the night: several bites on my legs and arms and four(!) on my left hand. One bit went right into a vein and is turning into a bruise.

I hate it when I get bitten on the more bony parts (hands, feet, knees, elbows) because it always seems to itch worse than when the bites are on the more padded parts of the body. Thankfully there is tea tree oil and diaper rash cream.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #22815
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
One or more mosquitos attacked me during the night: several bites on my legs and arms and four(!) on my left hand. One bit went right into a vein and is turning into a bruise.

I hate it when I get bitten on the more bony parts (hands, feet, knees, elbows) because it always seems to itch worse than when the bites are on the more padded parts of the body. Thankfully there is tea tree oil and diaper rash cream.
Don't forget the calamine lotion! Oldie but goodie for all sorts of bug bites!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness