Notices

Old 04-18-2024, 01:05 PM   #1
Dzib
Enthusiast
Dzib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Metadata in link

Hi,

Is it possible to include metadata in a link that could be clickable in book details ?
Something like <a href="file:///E://Books/{author}/{title}.pdf">a book</a>
Dzib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sure, but think about it :
1)The reader only supports 1 book open at a time. The where has no link back.
2)If you go there, how do you get back?
3)E: is on your PC, not your (general) device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2024, 01:25 PM   #3
Dzib
Enthusiast

If the link point to a folder, ie : <a href="file:///E://Books/{author}/">a folder</a>, will explorer open a new window at that folder ?
Old 04-18-2024, 02:21 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzib View Post
If the link point to a folder, ie : <a href="file:///E://Books/{author}/">a folder</a>, will explorer open a new window at that folder ?
Depends on what viewer you are using. Also Win10 support expires next year. What if you change to Mac or Linux?

Or on Windows you add a storage device. Sometimes it seems only C: is assured of not changing. So years ago I used to always setup optical drives as L: (if only to load stuff) or R: (If recordable). Then the games or MS Office Installer (that always wanted CD for any change) didn't break if the user added another HDD.

Though really the first HDD should have been F: as it was possible to have A:, B:, C: and D: floppies.

It's why sometime the default was Z: for a network drive.

Really this idea is flawed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:14 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Depends on what viewer you are using. Also Win10 support expires next year. What if you change to Mac or Linux?

Or on Windows you add a storage device. Sometimes it seems only C: is assured of not changing. So years ago I used to always setup optical drives as L: (if only to load stuff) or R: (If recordable). Then the games or MS Office Installer (that always wanted CD for any change) didn't break if the user added another HDD.

Though really the first HDD should have been F: as it was possible to have A:, B:, C: and D: floppies.

It's why sometime the default was Z: for a network drive.

Really this idea is flawed.
There was a major brand (I forget which, but I ran into it a few times) that shipped all their PCXT that way. their theory was Floppy (IBM had an expansion) could be A,B,C,D
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2024, 05:14 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There was a major brand (I forget which, but I ran into it a few times) that shipped all their PCXT that way. their theory was Floppy (IBM had an expansion) could be A,B,C,D
I think as this was about 40 years ago we are allowed to forget who that logical (in this case) company was. Likely they don't even exist now.

I don't remember seeing it, but I thought of it more than once.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 07:18 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hi,

Is it possible to include metadata in a link that could be clickable in book details ?
Something like <a href="file:///E://Books/{author}/{title}.pdf">a book</a>
Yes, you need to put the link into long text column thats interpreted as HTML - my Test library has one called Links/#links - to add the file link do this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-19 083516.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	207707

Then you can click on the column in Book details:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-19 084412.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	207708

If the file cannot be found it's dead link, nothing will happen of you click on it.

If this is for adding an extra file(s) to a book - e.g. a French language EPUB of Proust's Remembrance…, when you already have an EPUB in English you should consider using calibre's 'data' folder feature

Quote:
8.3 Adding extra data files to a book

calibre can store any number of extra data files associated to a book. These can be alternate covers, supplementary material, etc. They cannot be viewed directly or used as conversion sources. Nor are they indexed by the Full text search engine in calibre. To view/add/delete them select the book and right click the Edit metadata button and choose Manage data files. This will pop-up a window where you can perform operations on these files. Alternately, you can right click the Add books button and choose Add data files to selected book records to more quickly add data fi les.
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-18-2024 at 07:21 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 02:35 AM   #8
Dzib
Enthusiast

I've managed to add a link that can be clickable in the book details but I had to add the link manually via add file or add folder.
I'd like to be able to add links to every book but in the link there should be metadata, like serie name or book title, so I won't have to to that for each book. I don't know if I'm clear but english isn't my native language

Last edited by Dzib; 04-20-2024 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:06 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've managed to add a link that can be clickable in the book details but I had to add the link manually via add file or add folder.
I'd like to be able to add links to every book but in the link there should be metadata, like serie name or book title, si I won't have to to that for each book. I don't know if I'm clear but english isn't my native language
Now its sounds like you should be looking at the the book-details option of ===> The calibre:// URL scheme

But why would you want to put a link to the metadata for Alice in Wonderland into the Alice in Wonderland metadata - that way lies madness of the hatter kind?

I think you need to tell us what your goal is - links to files or calibre 'books' are tools you can use to reach a goal.

BR
Old 04-20-2024, 04:21 AM   #10
Dzib
Enthusiast

Ok, here's the objective : when I add a book to my collection, I usually save it on another hard drive in a path like D:\EBooks{series}{title}, which is different from the default path where the data is stored.
So, I would like to be able to click on a link in the book details to open this directory where the saved book is located.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:58 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Do you use calibre's Save to Disk?

If you do, then:
  • You might be able to modify this Action Chain script to populate a Last Saved At custom column - you'll need input from @capink.

There's also this plugin ==>> Save To Format, you could hack that.
BR
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #12
Dzib
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Do you use calibre's Save to Disk?
Yes, I'll try to modify the script