Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMiller View Post
When I saw this thread, I thought it was ironic as I had just posted a similar topic on my blog. I had a horror story to share regarding backups I lost books that I had written. yes BOOKS..multiple.

The poor world. Think of the loss! hahahaha

If you get a chance, take a peak at it. http://maureenamiller.blogspot.com/
This brings up a good point. Your backups need to be tested. I was doing automatic backups via Windows 7. I was having a problem with my new netbook, and took it in. The tec said unless you had a corporate backup program, that cost thousands (sounds like Kovid's), you shouldn't use automatic backup. You should back up the files you want to keep - .pst files, documents, photos, music, videos. I am going to add my python file, cause I put a lot of scripts in there. The automatic backup program built into Windows is useless, and gives a false sense of security.
Sydney's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
The basic windows one, yes, but there is other backup software out there like Comodo's which can handle simply periodic copies quite nicely.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
The tec said unless you had a corporate backup program, that cost thousands (sounds like Kovid's), you shouldn't use automatic backup.
Mine I wrote myself, with open source tools. Cost me a day to write and test it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Show off.

Don't you have something to update on Calibre or something?

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I back up my music, photos, ebooks and documents to 3 different hard drives in the home, and one off site (once a month) in a safety deposit box. There ae countless non-replaceable items in all those but, the photos are a must.......

When the house is burning down, everything can be replaced by insurance except the items listed..... and if it were not for digital, then they too would be lost.....

All of you "physical" object folks (paper books, cd's, paper photo's) just do not realize that if you want it to really last.... go digital.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Like I said, one that should cost thousands!
Sydney's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
So how many backups do you have?

I am up to nine. ...

Now that I have listed all of this, it sounds kind of excessive.
I believe the word is obsessive.

I'm running rebit, a real time software program for around $30 for Windows, which backs up everything and keeps multiple versions as space permits. It's attached to an external hard-drive (1 terabyte) that cost about $120. Mac users will recognise this strategy as Time Machine.

It's very effective, no muss no fuss, and relatively inexpensive. Then, about once a year, I buy a new external drive ($120) and start over, putting the old drive away safely (same house, different room).

I like the idea of cloud storage -- Microsoft offers 25GB free Skydrive -- and I may just do that for selected files -- like photos. My master genealogy file is the only thing I have a (recent) copy of that's actually offsite (at the office). I dunno; maybe I'll pop one of those archived hard drive's in my desk at the office, too.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #23
kaan
Connoisseur
kaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony prs-505
An interesting subject.

Full disclosure: I work for the top remote backup company in Denmark.

I can see that you all are doing a lot more than most people.

I strongly recommend that you use some sort of cloud storage for your backups. preferably two different providers.

With that out of the way, here is what I DON'T recommend:

Flash memory of any kind!!! They will fail! Use for transport and convenience only.

The old harddrive you have in the drawer from your old computer. Its just waiting to die on you, and will do so even if it isn't plugged in.
If you are going to use a harddrive in your backup rotation, then do what SensualPoet does and buy a new set of drives once a year.

CD/DVD is an attractive option when you look at the price, but reliability over time is appalling. If you resort to this medium, do remember to read out the data every 3 years and burn them to a new disc (don't use the cheap disks).

The solution to bitrot hasn't been found yet, and for long term storage paper is still king.

I hope this was of some use

-Klaus

Edit: With me working for a backup company like that, it is obvious that I never do backup of my own computer

Last edited by kaan; 04-03-2010 at 07:25 PM.
kaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaan View Post
The solution to bitrot hasn't been found yet, and for long term storage paper is still king.
I have decided as an extra backup measure for my ebooks I am going to get a box of legal pads and copy out the text of the books onto the legal pads then put them in my safety deposit box.

I'm brilliant... it will last 100 years (acid free paper).

BTW: This idea is patent pending. If anyone wants to use this idea you must paypal $1000 to me.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote