Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Sony Reader Questions

Forgive my ignorance; I'm coming from a Kindle where everything was pretty one stop shop. I just ordered a PRS-300 to try out for 30 days (thank god for liberal return policies) and have a few questions. Using a MAC which is the best software for storing and transfering books? Calibre? Adobe? Sony's? Also, I know the Sony Reader is much more open than the Kindle. What format is the best format for downloading ebooks from the various retailers other than Sony's?

Any other helpful info for someone moving from a Kindle to a 300?
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I use Calibre on my Mac with my 505. I understand the new Sony library software will work with a Mac, but have no idea how good it is

Aside from .lrf, .epub is a good format for the Sony.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congrats! I hope you get as much pleasure from your 300 as I get from my 505. Yes, ePub format works beautifully.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Epub is probably your best choice of format as even the Sony store will be moving to that format by end of the year.

I mostly use Calibre to manage my books but if you ever purchase books from Sony then you have to use that software to buy the books (you can then add the books to Calibre). Also, if you plan to borrow books from your local library, you have to use Adobe Digital Editions to initially download the book.

I use ADE to manage my borrowed library books, Sony for any Sony offered freebies and Calibre for everything else. It's not that difficult juggling 3 different software programs.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
Actually, you don't need to use the Adobe Digital Editions app anymore for library books, on PC's anyway. The library feature works automatically with the new Ver3 Sony software. I've tried it - works fine on a PC, but I don't have a Mac.
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert