Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
CanadianContent
Enthusiast
CanadianContent began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Please help me decide!

I converted my daughter to ebooks and now I have been persuaded to buy her a reader for Christmas. I happily read on a UMPC, but she needs something with better battery life. I had almost decided that the Hanlin V3 might be the best option, as I have a lot of ebooks, mostly .lit, but also txt, mobi, pdf that she would also enjoy, and looking at the wiki, the V3 seems to offer most formats. However I think some of the features (especially the light) on the new PRS700 would be very useful.
I ought to say that we are in Canada, so the Kindle is not an option for her. I have read so much on this site, but I think I must be easily swayed as I just cannot decide which would suit her best. If I decided to order the new Sony, is there a (simple!) batch converter from .lit to a format usuable on the reader? I realize that the 700 is not 'in hand' yet, but formats and features will be the same or improved from the 505.
I wonder if I should just order the V3 and a booklight or are there real advantages to the Sony compared to the V3? For example, I have read that some readers feel flimsy compared the Sony. I have also been following the Astak development, but ruled it out as I am still not sure of its availability this year. I would be grateful to be pulled in one direction and the decision made for me!
CanadianContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianContent View Post
I had almost decided that the Hanlin V3 might be the best option, as I have a lot of ebooks, mostly .lit, but also txt, mobi, pdf that she would also enjoy, and looking at the wiki, the V3 seems to offer most formats. However I think some of the features (especially the light) on the new PRS700 would be very useful.
Personally if I were not in the US I would get a Sony 505. If you think the 700 is worth the extra $100 then go for it.

Quote:
If I decided to order the new Sony, is there a (simple!) batch converter from .lit to a format usuable on the reader?
Sure... calibre will do this. Just drop all your lit books into it... select them all and press the convert button.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre (which has its own forum) will convert just about any DRM-free ebook to LRF or ePub for the PRS-700. Also, it is easy to strip the DRM from LIT and MOBI (and eReader) if necessary.

The only major downside to the PRS-700 is its lack of dictionary support.

If you want a MOBI reader, then I suggest the Bookeen Gen3, rather than Hanlin, because it has dictionary support and a better text display engine. Note that LIT is very easy to convert to MOBI using Windows MobiPocket Reader (or Creator), or the command-line mobigen for batch conversion.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 700 is a very nice reader and is going to be available in Canada in November. Also, if you can remove the DRM from LIT and Mobi, then Calibre will convert them very easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi.

It’s not sturdy - hell it’s the thinnest and lightest eBook reader on the market -, and does not read .lit files (those are easily converted, as you can read here in the forum), but the Cybook does one thing any of the other does, it lets one “bold” the text of a eBook, and that makes miracles into reading at night or in small lighted environments.
Also it lets one choose (and import) 12 different font sizes.

Good shopping,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
CanadianContent
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the information on conversion using Calibre - it sounds easy enough, I will try it.
DD - the Cybook "bold" feature sounds as though it could be useful, I'd not read about that. I am still concerned about the "flimsy" feel of the V3. I am edging towards the Sony and figure I may as well go for the 700 version, especially as Sony are releasing it in Canada.
At one time I thought about buying myself a Kindle, but it bugged me so much that Amazon were almost making me into a criminal to do it that I've never bought anything from them since. I think I want to support Sony for including Canadians in North America!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
CanadianContent
Enthusiast

Double post

Last edited by CanadianContent; 10-11-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 10-11-2008, 05:28 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think the Gen3 has many advantages over the Sony, eg:

- Dictionary lookup.
- Much easier to buy books world-wide since it supports MobiPocket.
- You can install any TrueType or OpenType font onto the machine, and view any book in any font in any of 12 sizes.
- Proper support for bold/italic fonts (they are synthesised on the Sony).
- User replaceable battery.
- World-wide warranty.

Get a case for the machine and the perceived "flimsiness" is not an issue. I'd recommend the Gen3 thoroughly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
CanadianContent
Enthusiast

Hi Harry,
I`ve read many posts regarding the importance of dictionary lookup. I had not considered that to be one of the important things on my wish list. How often do you make use of it? I have wondered why so many consider this one of their essentials. I rarely feel the need to pick up a dictionary when reading p-books, but I am open to persuasion.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Hi Harry,
I`ve read many posts regarding the importance of dictionary lookup. I had not considered that to be one of the important things on my wish list. How often do you make use of it? I have wondered why so many consider this one of their essentials. I rarely feel the need to pick up a dictionary when reading p-books, but I am open to persuasion.
I use it virtually every reading session, simply because it's so convenient to do so. I read a lot of 19th and early 20th century books, and there are many words which have fallen out of use. If I were reading a paper book, I'd just guess their meaning from context and move on, but being able to look up the meaning so easily in an eBook does, I find, enrich the reading experience considerably.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote