Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #61
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
If Amazon is not working towards this $25 or Free basic Kindle reader, I'd be amazed.
I think 49$ is the magic spot. Low enough for most consumers not to think twice about buying it, low enough for impulse buys, yet high enough for Amazon to go even on a sale.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #62
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I can't really think of anything they could add at this point. I'm not interested in colour as I'd not read books with diagrams, lots of pictures in them on an e-ink device. The resolution is fine for me, I even found the resolution on the kindle keyboard to be adequate let alone the resolution on the paperwhite. Battery life is good, page turns are fast enough and now devices have built in lights, I can't think of anything more they can add. I will probably upgrade my device in a year or so. Unless Amazon pull something enticing out of their hat this year then I'll wait until next year.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #63
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I'd like faster page turns. The page turns are plenty fast now but there's still a bit of lag and I hate lag even if it doesn't really affect me.
Also my Aura could use a better dictionary. I also wish that pictures took advantage of the new hi resolution thing but that's an ebook thing not an ereader thing. Also shrinking bezels while maintaining the screen size and increasing battery capacity would be nice. From now on it will definitely be evolution and not revolution.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #64
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I'd like faster page turns. The page turns are plenty fast now but there's still a bit of lag and I hate lag even if it doesn't really affect me.
Also my Aura could use a better dictionary. I also wish that pictures took advantage of the new hi resolution thing but that's an ebook thing not an ereader thing. Also shrinking bezels while maintaining the screen size and increasing battery capacity would be nice. From now on it will definitely be evolution and not revolution.
I expect the next Paperwhite to feature the 6.8" screen with minimal bezel so the device doesn't get any bigger.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #65
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I expect the next Paperwhite to feature the 6.8" screen with minimal bezel so the device doesn't get any bigger.
I actually like how the size of the bezel on the Aura HD. It's perfect for resting my thumb.

After having the Aura HD for about a week, I feel like I've more or less got the e-reader I've always wanted. But, there area few things I can think of that I wouldn't mind in the future:

Improved Performance
This can be said about almost anything, though. Faster page turns, better refresh rates, and a more responsive UI would be great

Weight Reduction
Same as performance, this can be said about almost anything. A lighter device is almost always better, though.

Cloud Storage Support
I want to be able to download books from my Google Drive or Dropbox account. I know a rooted Nook ST can do this.

Wireless Syncing
I want to be able to send books from Calibre to my reader over WiFi.

SDXC Support
I don't need 64 gb cards, but some people do.

Make the Screen Taller
You could probably gain a couple lines of text by reducing the size of the bezel on the top of my Aura's screen.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #66
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
I have a Kindle PaperWhite and a Nook Glow at the moment.. I had a Kindle DX Graphite in the past as well, and still have a 10" android tablet that I almost never use. My wife also has an iPad we share.

I love the paperwhite to death... but I could see myself buying a replacement + another eReader. (I need to get rid of the Nook, I never use it since I got the PW)

The Aura is a good start.. I'd love to see a device with the same physical size as the PW but less bezel & more screen. It still needs to have a bezel so you can handhold it, but I think room is there for a bigger screen & less bezel. I would also like to see the device get thinner. The PW is thin, but thinner still would be nice, as it gets thicker when you put it in a case. Resolution & contrast can still improve too. Let's see 300+ dpi.

For the second device I'd love to have another larger device with a screen the size of the KDX screen, but make it front lit, 300dpi, higher contrast, touchscreen, no keyboard, no bezel, & thin, etc..

We got tablets.. but no desire to read on them. I don't have much desire to carry a KDX size device around but I'd love to have one at home/office for reading technical docs, etc.. (better formatting of newer books has really helped make technical books work on the PW though.)

Oh and way faster PDF response.. that'd get me to buy newer readers too.
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #67
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
For the second device I'd love to have another larger device with a screen the size of the KDX screen, but make it front lit, 300dpi, higher contrast, touchscreen, no keyboard, no bezel, & thin, etc...
This.

We could get pretty close today with the 2400x1650 9.7" screen E-Ink has. That's 300 dpi, but still standard Pearl, so no higher contrast. And the standard assembly has no frontlight, but that could conceivably be added pretty easily if they wanted/someone waved enough money at them.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #68
linereader
Enthusiast
linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
I have been waiting for years for an e-reader that is the size of a letter sized or a4 sheet of paper. You would think that the market for such a device is large. Companies have shown prototypes of large screen e-readers, but they never sell them. I just wrote to e-ink about their 19 screen for advertising. They basically told me to jump in a lake. This makes me think that they have not produced them yet. They are waiting for a large corporation to buy lots of them, at which point they will do into production.
Another prototype for you (from Sony
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/13/s...-paper-tablet/

Hopefully they release it (and we see others copy).
linereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #69
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Changed oversized graphic to thumbnail attachment.

I am looking backward to the return of Slates. Technology is bunk. The cutting edge is here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	4722843-a-blank-school-chalkboard-or-slate-on-a-wood-panel-background-with-a-piece-of-white-chal.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	105953
[Click to enlarge.]

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-16-2013 at 03:45 PM.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #70
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I am looking backward to the return of Slates. Technology is bunk. The cutting edge is here:

(image of a slate removed for space reasons)
OMG! It doesn't need a battery and it's readable in bright sunlight! I have to get one of those!
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #71
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post

[Oversized quoted image removed. Original thumbnail now in quoted post.]
So in my spare time (from ereading) I am a high school chemistry teacher. I use slates and mini whiteboards in my classroom all the time for scratch work. Slates are not dead.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-16-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Removed oversized image from quote.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #72
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
good to hear... Fact is in the last 3000 years....despite the internet, typwriters, computers...etc.... nothing beats pen/chalk/paper and a slate/paper/blackboard....for price/effectiveness....even MIT profs...know that....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #73
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
What I'd like to see is a device with Kobo Aura specifications that works with Amazon Prime. It'd be even better if it worked with both Kobo and Amazon content without having to strip DRM.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #74
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I'd love a Sony-PRS1050. Same aluminium body as the 950, with updated internals and a front-lit screen. I'm perfectly happy with the DPI of the 950, but a few more would be nice I guess.

Basically I'd like a reader that is a bit more....premium than the plastic-fantastic options which are available. The inevitably premium price to go with it wouldn't be an issue, since I generally keep my stuff until it dies and cannot be revived; which turns out far cheaper than buying new cheap stuff every time something takes your fancy.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #75
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
...The inevitably premium price to go with it wouldn't be an issue, since I generally keep my stuff until it dies and cannot be revived; which turns out far cheaper than buying new cheap stuff every time something takes your fancy.
This how I operate as well. And even the cheap stuff can last for years if treated properly!

Right now I see no reason to upgrade any of my portable electronics this includes a 4 year old Samsung Gravity phone that just gets used minimally for phone calls and the occasional text message. My Samsung GMP5 which is my go everywhere reader/music player. My Sony PRS-T1 which is mostly collecting dust, and finally my Nexus 7 which is my at home reader.

Before when I used to travel I had my phone, my mp3 player, and my Sony reader with all of the chargers to go with them. Now all I will have with me is my GMP5 and my phone, with just the charger for my GMP5.

I love traveling light!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote