Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
How many books can a 1st gen Paperwhite actually hold?

I've apparently got around 600MB of space left, with around 630 books on my Kindle. I wondered how much more I could get on it, and whether there was a cut-off point below the supposed 1000 book mark?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it depends in part on how big your books are. If they are mostly several 100 kb's in size you will get a lot more books onto the PaperWhite than if a lot of them are 1 or more MB's in size.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I believe the PW1 has about 1300MB available for user files. So, you have 630 books using 700MBs, or .9MB per book. With 600MB remaining you have room for 540 more books, assuming they average the same .9MBs.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
About 25 Delphi Classics.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I was looking at my Kindle's "documents" folder via my iMac the other day, and noticed that a whole lot of stuff from books I had removed long ago from the device remained on the drive. Just looked at it again, I had two old software update files, a whole bunch of .sdr folders for books that I've removed from the Kindle and I won't read again, a bunch of Personal Letter folders from ebooks that I borrowed from the library.... It all added up to 1.3MB of files I no longer need on the Kindle.

I wish this detritus would disappear automatically when I remove the ebooks from the device.

The ~70 ebooks on my Kindle currently range from a wee 152KB in size all the way up to a rather large 6.7MB
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Is there a quick and easy way (short of unregistering/re-registering the kindle) to clear space out?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Those files remain behind only when the book is not from your Kindle Cloud. I assume because Amazon does not want to reset your annotations without you knowing.

When you delete from device via calibre, it clears them out.
You can write a script which compares file/folder names and deletes all folders which don't have a corresponding file.

The Personal Letter stuff is easy, I just matched it with a /mnt/us/documents/Personal\ Letter* and delete it via the nagger KUAL menuentry.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-07-2014 at 12:46 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is there a way on the PW to tell how much space is used and how much is left? Or what is the recommended, official method? Calibre is telling me I only have a few MB left, which was kind of astonishing to me!
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Go to Home screen ==> Menu ==> Settings ==> Menu ==> Device Info

Quote:
Device Info

Wi-Fi MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Serial Number: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
Network Capability: Wi-Fi
Firmware Version: Kindle 5.3.7 (2004410010)
Space Available: 1,590 MB Free
Depending on your device, you will only have a certain amount of total memory, ~1-3 GB. You can also get more confirmation using your File Browser when tethered.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-20-2014 at 02:29 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote