Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
macastronomer
macastronomer began at the beginning.

Device: eReader PRS500
Reader overly delicate?

I got an eReader recently, and within 4 days the screen was internally cracked.

I'm a systems programmer and IT technician. I've worked on many small devices with screens (Laptops, iPods, Palm Pilots) and I've never seen this happen.

Nothing beyond normal use, and the screen cracked (internally mind you—no outside damage what-so-ever), causing the very left side of the screen to not work.

I sent it off to Sony and they said that ANY damage to the screen is not covered.

There are only two possibilities here: 1) this product is extremely fragile or 2) My device had a physical defect.

In either case, I would be extremely careful with this product as normal use can lead to a $250 repair. Or better yet, purchase another device for your digital reading.
macastronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your experience is certainly not normal. We have hundreds of Sony Reader (not "eReader", please note!) users here, and the only reports of damaged screens that I can recall have been situations where people put an unprotected Reader into a bag with heavy books, and so on. It's certainly not "delicate" normally. Mine has been dropped innumerable times onto a wide variety of surface in the 10 months I've had it with no damage whatsoever.

Are you sure that you may not have inadvertently put something heavy on the screen, or something like that? As I say, the Reader's screen certainly is not "delicate" in any way in normal use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've never so much as held a Sony Reader, or any eInk device for that matter, but it sounds like internal screen damage would most likely be caused by accidental over-torquing of the device's frame.

If anyone wanted to tote this kind of device around with other heavy books in a backpack, I think a hard case would definitely be needed.

iPods and PDA's are protected against torque damage because of their small screens in comparison to their hard cases. Laptops are harder to damage in such a fashion, because the computer half of the laptop helps prevent excessive torquing when the lid is closed.

Last edited by MikeF74; 09-18-2007 at 11:56 AM.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mine has been dropped innumerable times onto a wide variety of surface[s]
Mine too, once onto a tile floor from about 4' up -- hard enough to blunt one of the corners -- and the display is still fine months later.

I couldn't guess what, but there's something unusual going on here, that's evident enough.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
It's definitely not fragile. I just toss mine in a courier-type bag and slog through the subway with it.

I have seen defects in pieces of glass before, though, so I suppose that's possible. What about tempering? I don't know anything about the specs on eInk displays. Could sudden, drastic temperature changes cause a problem?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by macastronomer View Post
I got an eReader recently, and within 4 days the screen was internally cracked.
it's not possible to crack the screen of an eReader (it's software and has no hardware). eReader is a program used to read eReader (formally Palm) format ebooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
I've had my Reader with me daily in my purse since last November. When I travel, which is often, I have had it in my backpack or briefcase, or purse.

I've dropped it, my purse, my backpack, my purse etc., a lot of times and never had a problem.
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Before I got a protective pouch for the Reader it fell from my coat pocket about 5' to a concrete driveway. The case got a few scuff marks but the Reader was fine.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
zaneK
zaneK began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500
fell asleep reading mine, rolled onto it in the night, it survived!
zaneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:01 AM   #10
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
So, what do you plan to do? Will Sony send the unit to back to you? Free of charge?

I'm having a similar problem and will probably send in my unit to Sony in the coming days.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #11
macastronomer
macastronomer began at the beginning.

Device: eReader PRS500
Sorry for calling it an eReader. I've seen it called that on line before and the fancy looking "e"on the front of it right in front of where it says Reader lead me to believe that was an appropriate description. I've never used the software eReader before.

Let me describe the usage that lead to this... Picked it up off of the table in my office (at which time it was working fine), walked down the hallway, went into our lab area to show a friend (at which time it was damaged). It was in my hand. No torque on it what-so-ever.

Sony repair refused to fix it. However, the place where I purchased it is replacing it. I'm glad I found a way to remedy the situation short of paying them $250 (which wasn't going to happen).

I appreciate everybody posting. I was almost not wanting to get it replaced because I was thinking it was too fragile. It is reassuring that this device is supposed to be able to handle a little bit of travel.

jlc, I really appreciate your posting. Maybe it's only 1 out of 10 that will have this problem, but even if it's 1 of out 100, I'm sure there will be many people adding to this thread. I'm eager to hear from them so as to prove that I'm not delusional.

I would love to see this in consumer reports with stress test results.
macastronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Similar to what happened to my Cybook Gen3 a couple of days ago. I dropped it from about three feet onto a hard linoleum kitchen floor. It kept on ticking. Didn't even scratch it.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Before I got a protective pouch for the Reader it fell from my coat pocket about 5' to a concrete driveway. The case got a few scuff marks but the Reader was fine.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I want to know is why is Sony not honoring the warranty for screen damage that is not the user's fault?

On Monday, I am going to call Sony and see if I can get an answer from them. I'll call the Reader tech support line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I want to know is why is Sony not honoring the warranty for screen damage that is not the user's fault?
I'm struggling to think of a scenario in which a physically damaged screen could not be the user's fault. Screens don't just spontaneously shatter, do they?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:46 AM   #15
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm struggling to think of a scenario in which a physically damaged screen could not be the user's fault. Screens don't just spontaneously shatter, do they?
They don't. However, what we're focusing on here are the conditions under which they break. Most of us who have experienced this problem did nothing out of the ordinary to crack the screen. When you read about other readers that have survived drops or falling off of cars, it's obvious something isn't right.

It's true that the user's actions did damage the screen. But it is entirely Sony's fault for selling a defective unit that couldn't even withstand normal use.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote