Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
Hey tubemonkey i played around with the nook color the other day and its a slick lil guy i actually like it alot better than my galaxy tab. when you root the nook color are you using the honeycomb tablet OS or one of "phone" androids like froyo or gingerbread?
That's cool. Right now, I'm still using 2.1 via Auto-Nooter. I've been waiting for a new Auto-Nooter, but might just go all out and get 3.0 via CM7. I'm in no hurry.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #32
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
can you download movies outside of iTunes?
Yes, for example OPlayerHD
Quote:
can throw in your sd card from your camera to view your photos or video's?
Yes, with the camera connection kit.
Quote:
can you store your music anywhere but iTunes to work with your iPad?
Don't use my iPad for music, so not sure about that one.
Quote:
cany you view flash content from the web without the help from third party apps?
No.
Quote:
can you optimize your home screens?
Optimise doesn't really mean anything here, so can't answer that one. You can move apps around and create folders.
Quote:
can you utilize widgets?
No.
Quote:
can you watch movies in their native 16:9 Aspect ratio.
Yes, but... you won't use the full height of the iPad screen, so it behaves like a smaller screen tablet.

Quote:
so yes apple does restrict your use of your iPad since the answer to all these questions is NO.
No it isn't. Perhaps you should actually research things before posting about them.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #33
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
can you download movies outside of iTunes?
Yes.

Quote:
can throw in your sd card from your camera to view your photos or video's?
Yes.

Quote:
can you store your music anywhere but iTunes to work with your iPad?
Yes.

Quote:
cany you view flash content from the web without the help from third party apps?
No.

Quote:
can you optimize your home screens?
Yes.

Quote:
can you utilize widgets?
No.

Quote:
can you watch movies in their native 16:9 Aspect ratio. enjoy those chunky black bars like we did on our old CRT (square TV's)
No. But I can watch my classic movies and TV shows in their native 4:3 aspect ratio without "those chunky black bars" on the sides.

Quote:
ok my fingers are getting tired.
So is your anti-Apple schtick.

Quote:
so yes apple does restrict your use of your iPad since the answer to all these questions is NO.
Your emotional anti-Apple sentiment is only surpassed by your ignorance of the current state of iOS devices.

Quote:
But hey it does have an Apple logo on the back, that's all that really matters though
If there were no products with an Apple logo on it then you'd have to find something else to be emotionally antagonistic towards.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #34
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
The claim that you can throw an SD card into an iPad to view photos in the above reply renders the whole response nonsensical. You may love Apple and all its offerings, but blatant lying does them no credit.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #35
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Yes.

Yes.
You can purchase a movie from another website and download it onto your iPad? are you sure about that? Do you have an example?

Yes.
No you can not, the iPad does not have an Sd card slot

No.
Yes.
Really? the iPad allows for different music managment applications that's not iTunes? Examples please
No.

No. But I can watch my classic movies and TV shows in their native 4:3 aspect ratio without "those chunky black bars" on the sides.
Even most classic movies were shot widescreen. Basically the majority would be Classic TV shows. But have a great time with that.
So is your anti-Apple schtick.
no Schtick, just not dazed and confused from the Apple juice. Apple is what it is and does great job at what they set out to do. Great looking devices, great marketing team. But in alot of cases they are the best product in their respective market and way too many people play sheep and then come on these boards like Apple is the Second coming of Christ. I used to own the iPhone 3 and 3GS went to Android and won't look back. Your emotional anti-Apple sentiment is only surpassed by your ignorance of the current state of iOS devices.
No emotional, just countering Apple fever

If there were no products with an Apple logo on it then you'd have to find something else to be emotionally antagonistic towards.
Apparently we have different ideas of what optimizng home screens mean. If you think making your tiles wiggle and moving them is even remotley close to the customization options you can get on an android device, then I honestly don't know what to say.

If there were no products with an apple logo people might be able to make electronic buying purchases using their own brain.

I'm soo willing to wager anything 80% of iPhone sales are due to because it has an apple logo on the back and is from sheep cosumerism. You believe else wise you are only fooling yourself.

Last edited by boswd; 05-17-2011 at 06:01 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #36
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The claim that you can throw an SD card into an iPad to view photos in the above reply renders the whole response nonsensical. You may love Apple and all its offerings, but blatant lying does them no credit.
notice he said yes with the camera connection kit you know this thing apple sells http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A and amazon sells it and rought 8 other retailers that i quickly found with a google search. but hey thats because they are all in on his lie.

im inpressed with android and some of apple stuff but man android fanboys are just as bad as apple fanboys. if your not willing to read the whole answer dont bother.

so the answer is in fact that you can read sd cards on the ipad with an adapter.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #37
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Good. You are free to dismiss my response. I have no desire to convince you or anyone to change their attitudes towards Apple, or any other vendor.

I have the Camera adapter for the iPad so I can view my photos on my iPad. Can I literally insert an SD card directly into the iPad? No. If boswd was asking an intellectually honest question, then he (and you) would accept a "yes" answer...because the function of viewing photos from a camera exists. But it was nothing but a cheap way of saying, "the iPad doesn't have an SD slot". Ok, you "got" me on that one. Good on you.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #38
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile

Quote:
Good. You are free to dismiss my response. I have no desire to convince you or anyone to change their attitudes towards Apple, or any other vendor.

I have the Camera adapter for the iPad so I can view my photos on my iPad. Can I literally insert an SD card directly into the iPad? No. If boswd was asking an intellectually honest question, then he (and you) would accept a "yes" answer...because the function of viewing photos from a camera exists. But it was nothing but a cheap way of saying, "the iPad doesn't have an SD slot". Ok, you "got" me on that one. Good on you.
dont worry jeep im apparantly a sheep since i own an apple product... perhaps im a sheep for owning a galaxy tab, and a sheep for owning a kindle 3 "shrugs" you will never convince a fanboy who is determined to feel superior.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #39
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Apparently we have different ideas of what optimizng home screens mean. If you think making your tiles wiggle and moving them is even remotley close to the customization options you can get on an android device, then I honestly don't know what to say.

If there were no products with an apple logo people might be able to make electronic buying purchases using their own brain.

I'm soo willing to wager anything 80% of iPhone sales are due to because it has an apple logo on the back and is from sheep cosumerism. You believe else wise you are only fooling yourself.
There is so much mis- and dis- information in both your previous post and your response that it is quite clear that you aren't interested in dealing objectively on the matter. Providing specific details for the answers that you disagree with would only result with you replying with something dismissive like, "well, that's not a big deal". Because you really don't want to know about those things... only to have another chance to express some emotional dislike for Apple.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #40
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

That was actually the whole point of why i listed the sd card slot. Its one of the things i dislike about apples methods. So instead of including something as basic as an sd card reader, you have to go out and buy their dongle just to let you operate your multimedia device for a basic operation.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #41
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
BACK to the actual topic of Tablet sales.....

Netbook
+Runs windows 7 and all compatible apps
+Tethers to my phone
+Keyboard
+Expansion ports (USB, VGA, etc)
+WAY more hard drive space

Tablet
+Touch screen UI
+Instant-on
+Widget-based interface for quick/relevant information
+GPS & Google Maps
+Better battery life (doesn't matter if you have spare netbook battery)
+Thinner/Slightly more portable

And the REAL bottom line (courtesy of Staples).....

Last edited by zespectre; 05-17-2011 at 06:29 PM.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #42
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Tablets should be considerably cheaper, I agree. They really ought to sell for a bit less than equivalent laptops.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
That was actually the whole point of why i listed the sd card slot. Its one of the things i dislike about apples methods. So instead of including something as basic as an sd card reader, you have to go out and buy their dongle just to let you operate your multimedia device for a basic operation.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #44
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
This statement sums it up perfectly.

"Android tablets have failed so far because they have launched half baked devices at high prices without the applications to back them up and tried to rely on "features" to create their selling point but they are features of limited value to the market."

I refuse to be anyone's guinea pig. When they put out a fully funtional tablet that has complete access to the market, (rather than claiming that it does then you get it home & find out they lied!) all bugs worked out, at a reasonable price I will then get a 7 inch tablet.

Last edited by cfrizz; 05-17-2011 at 07:33 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #45
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Since I don't frequent the "Apple Devices" forum I don't know how many Apple bashers show up over there, but I'm getting right fed up with all the Apple fanboi trolls showing up in the Android forum to bash Android devices.

There are at least two threads here that are quite obviosly OPed for the sole purpose of bashing Android.

Both started by RockdaMan!

wodin is offline   Reply With Quote