Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Send to Device (iPad) vs. Save to Disk (cover issue)

I have an epub with a cover placed via Calibre Metadata. When the ePub is saved to disk and the file dropped into iTunes/Books (iBooks) my cover does not show, I get the generic cover.

When I use "Send to Device" my cover does show in iBooks.

What is "Send to Device" doing to make the cover show that "Save to Disk" isn't and how can I create a saved file with the cover?

I want files on my desktop that could be given to another iBooks user and dropped into iBooks. Do I always have to "Send to Device" (iPad) and then "steal" the file out of the iTunes Media Folder?

(As a workaround I placed the cover in my original Pages ePub but I'd rather place the cover in Calibre.)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I don't have a iPad, but the Connect to iTunes feature is the recommended method for getting books ti the i/books area of the iPad.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't have a iPad, but the Connect to iTunes feature is the recommended method for getting books ti the i/books area of the iPad.
well yes, that's what I use personally to get my books to my iPad but that wasn't my question. I want to save .epub files for distribution and would like to use the "save to disk" function for that. But thanks very much for the response, I always appreciate responses.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
well yes, that's what I use personally to get my books to my iPad but that wasn't my question. I want to save .epub files for distribution and would like to use the "save to disk" function for that. But thanks very much for the response, I always appreciate responses.
Save to disk preferences has the option to save the cover and or OPF file alongside of your EPUB file.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
That's what happens when I respond while sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
I want files on my desktop that could be given to another iBooks user and dropped into iBooks. Do I always have to "Send to Device" (iPad) and then "steal" the file out of the iTunes Media Folder?
Save to Disk or Connect to Folder would allow you to place the books in a folder on your desktop.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Save to disk preferences has the option to save the cover and or OPF file alongside of your EPUB file.
I tried that option (and normally have it checked) but the cover still did not show when dropped into iTunes manually.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
That's what happens when I respond while sick.

Save to Disk or Connect to Folder would allow you to place the books in a folder on your desktop.
I apologize but I don't think you read my post. "Save to Disk" ePubs do not show the cover when dropped manually into iTunes/iBooks. "Sending to Device" does show the cover. I'm talking here about covers that are placed in Calibre (metadata).
Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the apple driver exports covers specially to itunes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you want to make sure that a cover always shows with a book, then you need to do a conversion (epub->epub in this case) to actually embed the cover in the book. Calibre is obviously updating the cover inside the file on Send to Device, and not on Save to Disk.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you want to make sure that a cover always shows with a book, then you need to do a conversion (epub->epub in this case) to actually embed the cover in the book. Calibre is obviously updating the cover inside the file on Send to Device, and not on Save to Disk.
Tried that. Epub to epub conversion does add the cover but adds unacceptable space throughout the file, even with "Remove spacing between paragraphs" on and minimum line height 100%.

Guess I'll simply continue to add the cover in Pages, that seems to be all that works for me....

I appreciate all the assistance but over the past three days I've tried about everything.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you tried simply opening the ePub file with the Tweak ePub feature and replacing the cover image file with the one you want? As long as the cover image has been clearly marked that should work without the risk of reformatting caused by a full conversion.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Have you tried simply opening the ePub file with the Tweak ePub feature and replacing the cover image file with the one you want? As long as the cover image has been clearly marked that should work without the risk of reformatting caused by a full conversion.
Opening in "Tweak ePub" feature? And I'm not replacing a cover, I'm adding a cover.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Open the epub in Sigil, right click the 'Images' folder, add existing (the cover you want to add), then set semantics on that file to 'Cover'. That will insert the cover in a way that iTunes/iBooks should recognize it.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC the apple driver exports covers specially to itunes.
Ahh, I'm learning.. so basically when I "Send to Device" Calibre is actually sending the ePub to an Apple Driver... Thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Open the epub in Sigil, right click the 'Images' folder, add existing (the cover you want to add), then set semantics on that file to 'Cover'. That will insert the cover in a way that iTunes/iBooks should recognize it.

G
Thanks! Will give it a try.