Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
manonoc
manonoc began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 500, KINDLE DX GRAPHITE, KOBO forma
conversion html -> mobi read on kindle

Hello,

I use calibre to convert an html tree into a mobi file (the epub can't be read by kindle)

all is ok, but when a page is bigger than the display, i can't read the end.

(i've found a way: going to the line +15, but it's pain)

on the calibre's reader all seems to be ok, but on the kindle not.

so it doesn't seems to be a bug with the conversion, but with the kindle app that read mobi.

so is there a way to read mobi without this pb ?

and is there a way to read html ? (i'v tried to read an html tree onto the browser, giving url file:///mnt/us/documents/thepage.html that working, but it's not optimal, the wireless must be on, so that use the battery)

thanks fo your help
(and special thanks to Kovid !)
manonoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
For the record, in the browser, once you load a page, you can turn wireless off, but you won't be able to load any other pages.

I'm not sure what an HTML tree is, but have you tried letting Amazon convert it?

Send it to your kindle email address (usually something@kindle.com, but add a free: something@free.kindle.com if you do not want to be charged for the service)

You should be able to find the email address here if you do not know it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/manage

After it is sent, Amazon will send you an email telling you that it has been converted. Then, from the link in the email, you can download the converted file and load it onto your Kindle over USB. (If you send it to something@kindle.com, it can deliver the document over 3G, and if you send it to something@free.kindle.com, it can send it over WiFi to your Kindle)

Last edited by kranu; 11-23-2010 at 01:13 AM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
manonoc

an HTML tree, is multiples html files relied with links.
The beginning is index.html at the root, and you can reach all pages from this one.

Yes, i've never tried this way, i'll try.

thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 03:14 AM   #4
manonoc

the problem is that amazon limits the number of file at 25, even if they are zipped.

But i've resolved my problem, in fact it was the use of table tr td with pdf:
- if you convert into pdf, you must put your text into a table tr td tags to keep the right font size
- if you convert into mobi (to keep the links) no need to use table tr td, and even it is bad, because you can't read the big pages with the > button of the kindle

conclusion, avoid using table tr td when you convert into mobi.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
norti
norti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi eco-nique Edition :D
On the Wi-Fi only model, you can use the yourname@kindle.com address, you won't be charged
norti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert