Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
wornways
wornways began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Chapter jump tag?

I'm converting some books to Kindle format. There is a feature that I've seen in some books I'm reading that I would like to implement.

The feature is using the left/right arrows to page through chapters. I'm thinking that there is a type of <a name=""> anchor used to set this up, but I don't know the particulars.

I'd also like to know the tag for allowing users to jump to the Beginning (where content starts before the TOC) and the Cover. I can't seem to get that to work.

Thanks loads,
wornways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You're going to want to hit the "Mobi" forum for anything detailed, but basically, I'm unaware of a chapter jump tag. Chapter navpoints are implemented by feeding Kindlegen (or other conversion software) an epub (or OEBPS source) that has a valid toc.ncx file. No NCX, no jump points. The opf file will contain the entries that determine the Beginning, TOC, and Cover--as well as the details to where the NCX file can be found.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 5-way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornways View Post
I'm converting some books to Kindle format. There is a feature that I've seen in some books I'm reading that I would like to implement.

The feature is using the left/right arrows to page through chapters. I'm thinking that there is a type of <a name=""> anchor used to set this up, but I don't know the particulars.

I'd also like to know the tag for allowing users to jump to the Beginning (where content starts before the TOC) and the Cover. I can't seem to get that to work.

Thanks loads,
if there are already chapters and a 'contents' page that takes you to the chapters then the kindle will do what you describe using the 5-way (right for forward, left for back).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote