Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
PRSUtil.exe

[Edited to reflect latest version]

I'm pleased to announce PRSUtil.exe, a tool for accessing the reader that does not require Python. Thanks to Igor et al without whom I would never have got this together.

The zip file contains a compiled version as well as the C sources and VS.Net support files.

You either need to copy it to your c:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\bin directory, or you need to copy the files ebookUsb.dll and prsctr.dll from that directory to whatever directory you install PRSutil.exe in.

The syntax for the current usage is:
PRSUtil <cmd> [-lR] [<path> ...]
where:
-l will list file type and size info if <cmd> is 'ls' or 'dir'
-R will recurse, if <cmd> supports recursion
The default path for 'ls' or 'dir' is /.

Thus, to dump the whole file tree, you could use:
PRSUtil ls -R
The available commands are:
ls [-lR] <path>... - list directory contents (can use 'dir' instead of 'ls')
del <path>... - delete one or more files from the reader
get [-R] <readerPath> [<PCpath] - copy one or more files off the reader
put <pcfile> [<readerfile] - put a file on the reader
For 'put', if no destination path is specified, the <pcfile> will be installed as a book. 'put' won't delete an existing file so if you want to overwrite a file on the reader you'll first need to delete it.

NOTE: YOU USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LOST OR DAMAGED DATA OR HARDWARE. It works for me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PRSUtil.zip (8.3 KB, 925 views)

Last edited by geekraver; 01-24-2007 at 01:36 AM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:29 AM   #2
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Happy to see the utility. How to use it? Do I have to go to dir: c:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\bin at the command prompt, and write PRSUtil ls -R?
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:34 AM   #3
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Hi geekraver,
Would we be able to add new fonts in the next version?
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #4
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkabir
Happy to see the utility. How to use it? Do I have to go to dir: c:\Program Files\Sony\CONNECT Reader\Data\bin at the command prompt, and write PRSUtil ls -R?
Yes, its a command prompt utility.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:29 AM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
geekraver, very nice work. Would it be possible that you publish the sources here too?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
geekraver, very nice work. Would it be possible that you publish the sources here too?
Yup, source will come, probably tonight.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver
I'm pleased to announce the first release of PRSUtil.exe, a tool for accessing the reader that does not require Python.
You are not looking for easy way, are you ?-)

www.py2exe.org
py2exe is a Python Distutils extension which converts Python scripts into executable Windows programs, able to run without requiring a Python installation.

Nice work, Geekraver, sorry couldn't resist
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Can anybody write an app. that would convert any text into the best format,size and all, for the PRS? I think a lot of time could be saved there.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
First there'd have to be some agreement on what the best format, size and all would be.

Or it could let you set your own best options for those attributes; only real way to select the best ones.

What I've been doing is opening files in Word, selecting all the text, and changing things to suit me. Doesn't really take that long, actually.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As you've said somewhere else, RTF is a good "kind of open" easily chageable format?

I can use it on the Mac also.

The reason I'm asking is that not everyone wants to use the connect software and that many, like Mac users, can't. But you can workaround that with the SD.

I guess it could also solve Da_Jane's ploblems also.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, except Jane's backlight "problem".

Yup, RTF works great, most of the files I have on my Reader are RTF, and I very much like the fact that I have so much control over the font, size, etc., and there's some discussion around here somewhere (tips & tricks thread , I think) about how to insert the meta-data into an RTF via notepad, so you can de-bloat it from Word, and still have that info.

The lack of in-line images is kind of a bummer, but I'm used to that from my Palm.

Last edited by NatCh; 10-19-2006 at 01:06 PM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Can anybody write an app. that would convert any text into the best format,size and all, for the PRS? I think a lot of time could be saved there.
Well, there is already such program, it's called BookDesginer. But the request to convert any text (and DOC, and PDF, and RTF, etc. - anything!) into the best format for the Reader just seems way too general.

Last edited by porkupan; 10-19-2006 at 01:05 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
First there'd have to be some agreement on what the best format, size and all would be.

Or it could let you set your own best options for those attributes; only real way to select the best ones.

What I've been doing is opening files in Word, selecting all the text, and changing things to suit me. Doesn't really take that long, actually.
Word has a nice feature where it will show all the styles in a document, also. I find it very useful for changing font sizes and styles but preserving the feel of the original.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Oh! I forgot...it has to do batches...big batches!

I installed ProcessTextGroup's ABC Amber LIT Converter. Neat little app. It's got tons of features. Something fast like that would be great, albeit not as fancy will do!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #15
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Perhaps that discussion should be moved to the content sub-forum?