Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
DanCa
DanCa began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to deal with PDF collection with PDX index?

Hello,

I have a couple of books that each consist of many linked files.

In the main directory, there is an index file, and about 30 pdf files and one subfolder

INDEX.PDX (the index file that links to all pdfs)
30 .pdf files
INDEX/

INDEX/ contains more subfolders (ASSISTS, MORGUE, PARTS, PDD, STYLE TEMP, TOPICIDX, TRANS, WORK)
these folders contains .WLD, .ABT, .CAT, .DDD, .DID, .TRN and other files, I don't know what these are for.

INDEX.PDX is the main file to access the book.

I don't know if there is a software to make a single file out of the structure, while maintaining all links, but the resulting file would be very large (300 MB) anyway.

How do I get this into Calibre? My understanding is that Calibre cannot have more than file of a type per book. I can of course zip everything together, but that makes the book unworkable, it is a reference that I open frequently.

I could make an empty entry and put the path to the index somewhere in the comments, but then I can't click on the title to open the book, and it breaks the library structure.

How do I deal with books consisting of multiple files? I found only one reference on this forum, but that was not helpful, I don't even know if .mobi conversion would work, the book has a lot of internal structure, links, image links etc.
DanCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DanCa - If you're using Windows you could create a shortcut (.LNK file) to the PDX folder and drop that into the main book list. Then when you click the Title calibre will open the PDX folder, then you can read it with your PDX viewer

This does not break the calibre library structure, you can enter data into the metadata just as you can for any other book, but you wont be able to do tasks like conversions, send to device, save to disk etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
DanCa
DanCa began at the beginning.

Thanks, that does it for me. I have a couple of books with all kind of extra info that I can't fit into calibre and that I'll be able to handle that way. In principle the windows shortcuts can handle relative paths, too. I'll have to think about it.

Cheers,

Dan
DanCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCa View Post
Thanks, that does it for me. I have a couple of books with all kind of extra info that I can't fit into calibre and that I'll be able to handle that way. In principle the windows shortcuts can handle relative paths, too. I'll have to think about it.

Cheers,

Dan
@DanCa - This may also be pertinent ==>> Additional materials related to a book

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf, pdf and calibre, pdf conversion