Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
awcmon
awcmon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb DR800SG - glare

I've spent two days with the IREX DR800 and the one thing that irritates me about the device is glare. I'm constantly struggling to hold the reader at just the right angle to reduce glare and I was surprised to find relatively little discussion on this issue. Any thoughts/advice/remedies (aside from the obvious comment that that's just the way it is with current-gen ereaders)?
awcmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
The DR800 and most other readers have "anti glare" layers on them, so glare is minimized as it is. It's a trade off between glare and contrast.

You should definitely stay away from ereaders that have a touch screen like the sony's.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
All readers have some level of glare, but I find the 800 to be one of the best in this category.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
All readers have some level of glare, but I find the 800 to be one of the best in this category.
I agree - I have occasionally had the light that I am reading by reflect off the screen, but a couple of degrees movement cures that. And that's not really glare is it?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
It seems you have a problem with the technology not with the device
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
droople
Connoisseur
droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.droople has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook,Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color
Actually I found my Paper book with some special papers also glare under lights
eg, CFA books
droople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by awcmon View Post
I've spent two days with the IREX DR800 and the one thing that irritates me about the device is glare. I'm constantly struggling to hold the reader at just the right angle to reduce glare and I was surprised to find relatively little discussion on this issue. Any thoughts/advice/remedies (aside from the obvious comment that that's just the way it is with current-gen ereaders)?
I've got a few readers at hand. My ranking, concerning glare:
non-touchscreen: nook, Sony 505, Sony 300, Cybook Opus, ... seem more or less identical. (nook seems to have best contrast due to font).
touchscreen: iRex 800 and BeBook Neo seem to be the best right now. Touchs like Sony 900 have more glare.

Meaning: Touchscreen units have slightly more glare. No problem to me. But if you're critical about that, try a non-touchscreen unit.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
Originally Posted by droople View Post
Actually I found my Paper book with some special papers also glare under lights
eg, CFA books
Well, all magazines and expensive books here in russia are printed on some "chalk overlay paper" (sorry, i'm not sure about the words, took it from the dictionary) with huge amounts of glare under any lighting.
And all the cheap ones (and 90% of average priced) are printed on a yellowish "news print" paper with contrast lower than that of PRS505. It is worse than all U.S. paperbacks i've seen; and i don't see the point in using such books even compared to PRS500, when one can set larger font size and usable font face (like Cambria/Calibri) on PRS500.

Last edited by penartur; 03-08-2010 at 09:39 AM.
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I have noticed a significant amount of glare with my iRex in comparison to my iPhone...though whether I am noticing it because the screen is bigger, or because the iPhone screen brightness out-glares the glare, I can't say.

I'm not too worried about it though. It does seem to be what you get if you read on a screen.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
You can find a glare, but it doesn't bother when you reading. Not like prs-600 had where you had to keep finding angle when you were on the same page like 5 times. Here you found comfortable position and it's not there anymore.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
though whether I am noticing it because the screen is bigger, or because the iPhone screen brightness out-glares the glare, I can't say
I guess the latter (also, iphone screen is not only brighter than DR800, it also features an active backlight, which may decrease reflected glare to nothing).
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
I guess the latter (also, iphone screen is not only brighter than DR800, it also features an active backlight, which may decrease reflected glare to nothing).
Well, correct except that the reflected glare is still there, nothing has actually decreased it. But with the backlight, the light from the display is so much brighter than the glare, your eye stops being able to recognize it. A mostly black iPhone display will still reflect the glare in a way you notice it.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr800sg, glare, screen