Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
charging kobo while on vacation in France?

Hi - I'm going on a 3 week vacation to France, and don't intend to take a laptop, so I'll need to recharge my kobo from a wall outlet. Does anyone know what voltage it will accept? Will it take 240V or will I need a power converter?

I've searched the kobo site, and also googled, but can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Thanks
Vicki
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I think you will have to buy a conversion kit...or a few P-books to get you through the time
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Irunsjh
Irunsjh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I went to France last summer and just brought an iPod charging plug the USB cable supplied in the kobo box and a plug converter from north America to France plug. I charged my kobo twice without any issue.
Irunsjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I believe that a standard iPod charger will work just fine, although you'll need the actual plug converter. As a general rule, chargers usually work on a wide range of voltages and they usually have a sticker on them that will say something like "110~240V".

Curiously though, the actual Apple iPod charger doesn't have the voltage range on it. I've got a third party one that does.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd agree with HamsterRage. A lot of your electronics can take 120-240V input, just make sure you check the label to make sure it will take it (most but not all can). Assuming you are using a phone charger etc. that is designed to take the 240V input it should give you the correct output. Same thing with an actual battery charger (i.e. for batteries for your camera). You may need a plug adapter so you can use our regular 2 prongs, but as long as it will take 240V you won't need a voltage converter (separate thing to the plug adapter). Plug adapter and phone charger cord is what I intend to use in Ireland this summer.

Last edited by robko; 02-12-2011 at 09:15 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just to add advice to keep an eye on it while charging. Sure the converter converts, but in my experience, it charges FAST over there. I don't take a chance on overcharging my iPad or computer or whatever. A 3 hr wall charge at home takes 20 minutes over there.

Have fun and bring us back some photos!

Last edited by DixieGal; 02-12-2011 at 10:00 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

If it would be me, I'd buy cheap wall charger in France. Few euros,
nothing to worry about.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I'd agree with HamsterRage. A lot of your electronics can take 120-240V input, just make sure you check the label to make sure it will take it (most but not all can).
Thanks for your replies - I really appreciate it!

I've tried to confirm it will handle 120-220v, as suggested, but the documentation and box are silent on this point. There is nothing on their website. And since there isn't a official power adapter, nothing on the device itself.

I called KOBO's technical support, and the fellow who was assisting me could not find the information either. He was very nice to work with, and did his best, however couldn't find anything. successful. Traveling with an e-reader is a frequent enough issue that KOBO would be able to answer the question.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunsjh View Post
I went to France last summer and just brought an iPod charging plug the USB cable supplied in the kobo box and a plug converter from north America to France plug. I charged my kobo twice without any issue.
Thanks Irunsjh, for your assistance.

When you say a "plug converter", was it just a plug adapter, or an electrical converter? They are two different things.....usually the converter is a heavy power block, whereas the plug converter just changes the shape of the prongs going into the wall.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Thanks for your replies - I really appreciate it!

I've tried to confirm it will handle 120-220v, as suggested, but the documentation and box are silent on this point. There is nothing on their website. And since there isn't a official power adapter, nothing on the device itself.

I called KOBO's technical support, and the fellow who was assisting me could not find the information either. He was very nice to work with, and did his best, however couldn't find anything. successful. Traveling with an e-reader is a frequent enough issue that KOBO would be able to answer the question.
Sorry, just to clarify on this: as long as the charger will handle the 240V input, the Kobo itself won't care since the charger output to the Kobo should be similar (the same) whether it's getting 120V in or 240V in. Since you're not plugging the Kobo directly into the wall (the charger is changing what it's getting from the wall outlet whether you're using it here with 120V OR in Europe at 240V to a different output for the phone it came with or Kobo you're using it on anyway) the Kobo itself shouldn't care what the wall voltage is. As long as the wall charger in between that handles the higher voltage you should be good.
Robert
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Sorry, just to clarify on this: as long as the charger will handle the 240V input, the Kobo itself won't care since the charger output to the Kobo should be similar (the same) whether it's getting 120V in or 240V in. Since you're not plugging the Kobo directly into the wall (the charger is changing what it's getting from the wall outlet whether you're using it here with 120V OR in Europe at 240V to a different output for the phone it came with or Kobo you're using it on anyway) the Kobo itself shouldn't care what the wall voltage is. As long as the wall charger in between that handles the higher voltage you should be good.
Robert
Thank you Robert, if that is the case, that's great news, and I have blackberry charger that will fit, and it is marked 110/220v. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
I might add that eBay is your friend when it comes to chargers as long as you are not leaving for a few weeks. Often you can get a wall plug charger from eBay for $1 including the shipping.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
razmichael
razmichael doesn't litterrazmichael doesn't litter

Device: Kobo WiFi
Further clarification here - most of this discussion has not really been on what the Kobo input is - the Kobo runs and charges from a USB port - that's about 5 volts. So any USB port, including ones on wall adapters, auto adapters, laptops, computers etc will do the trick. So all you need to do is find a USB power adapter that works with the higher voltage.
razmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmichael View Post
Further clarification here - most of this discussion has not really been on what the Kobo input is - the Kobo runs and charges from a USB port - that's about 5 volts. So any USB port, including ones on wall adapters, auto adapters, laptops, computers etc will do the trick. So all you need to do is find a USB power adapter that works with the higher voltage.
Thanks Razmichael! That's the first explanation I've been able to really "get" after 2 days of googling
Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Or just pop into a local Fnac store with your Kobo, Vicki, and they'll kit you out. No problem. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote