DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
new "alternative" firmware

Has anyone been able to successfully install and test the new "alternate"
firmware that is available on the Sony site:

http://ebookapplications.com/2010/07...sony-ereaders/

I have not yet been successful at getting the new firmware to boot up on my PRS-300 and was curious in case others have succeeded. I loaded the files onto the Reader and see the new Boot choices, but it will not load the new firmware.
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
yeah, I got it to work just fine. All I did was extract the folders from the zip file onto my hard drive, then drag and drop all the folders into the root of the sony reader, alongside the other folders that are already there. Then, when you unplug the reader from the PC, it gives you the option for the ebookapps firmware or the Sony. I actually chose sony the first time around, then went into the settings and shut down the device and then powered it back up. Seems like some of the time the boot menu shows right up with the ebookapps and sony choices, and then again sometimes it looks like the sony firmware, only on your first button press, it then gives you the boot menu. ebookapps looks like it is doing nothing but in 10-12 seconds, it loads into the new firmware.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DojoPat View Post
Has anyone been able to successfully install and test the new "alternate"
firmware that is available on the Sony site:
That's not the Sony site; it's a third party.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I installed that crap and then uninstalled. Now my PRS300 cannot be seen by the Sony Reader Library. That firmware is not even close to being in alpha much less beta.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I tried it twice yesterday and couldn't get it to work on my Sony 505. Will wait for further updates.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Tried on my 505 but didn't worked.
Endless firmware selection loop until Sony firmware was selected.

It's Crap
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #7
dolmen
dolmen began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
Crap ?

Stop trolling , this firmware is quite usable, still a long way to go, but it formats books beautifully, including hyphenation,
a much more usable font size selection (up to 7 different sizes), dictionary, etc.
On my PRS300 brights. Also, it's an addition to the sony firmware, not a substitution. You can always choose which firmware you want to use when the device boots.

PS: For those who see the boot choices but the new firmware doesn't boot. It happened to me too, but in my case the problem was that the directories ebrmain, dictionary, Sony Reader, fonts etc. where not hanging from the root directory of the reader. They were all inside another directory, not hanging directly from the root. I moved them
and it worked fine.

Last edited by dolmen; 08-04-2010 at 03:43 AM.
dolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
fanoI
Connoisseur
fanoI began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Yes please don't offend the works of others!

I've to admit the installation can give some problems (it's a little tricky) but at me personally worked like a charm...

The firmware is already quite usable and has - already - a lot of vantages respect the Sony one:
  1. Clock
  2. Font selection
  3. Epub fully supported (full justification AND hypenation)
  4. RTF fully supported (images works!)
  5. PDF works better than in Sony firmware (Fit visible cut automatically the borders), a image PDF in the Sony when zoomed was destroyed, in Ebooks
    app borders are cutted and it's quite readable (no more silly conversion!)
  6. The ebook can be used in all 4 positon not only in portrait or landscape
  7. More format supported (DOC, HTML...)
  8. Folder support
  9. Zipped file support (cbz partly works, too!)

This is the official thread, however:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87474
fanoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 AM   #9
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
This is pretty much the only thing that made me feel good about owning a PRS-300 and not the other ebook readers with better default firmware.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolmen View Post
Crap ?

Stop trolling , this firmware is quite usable, still a long way to go,

Hmmm..it didn't even start on my PRS-505.
Firmware selection loop after installation.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Hmmm..it didn't even start on my PRS-505.
Firmware selection loop after installation.
I'm not a troll. I guess these narrowminded individuals consider bearers of the truth to be trolls. I installed this CRAP and used it for a day on my PRS-300. It is terrible. ePubs are rendered like TXT files. Each paragraph started and ended with a box character, so it obviously cannot render standard text correctly. It was incredibly slow to open books (2+ minutes for average ePub), extremely sluggish using the menus, and to boot up takes a very long time. Now perhaps it works better on their readers, but on my reader it was CRAP! Oh and one more thing, it cannot find preloaded books. You have to load a second copy into a special folder before it can find it. Crap by any other name still smells like crap.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-04-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
Well, after numerous tries, moving different folders into the root directory, I have still not been able to boot up the alternate software. I won't call it "crap" :-) but obviously I can't recommend it yet to anyone.
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard

Ok, it may not be crap.
Basically i can't tell 'cause it doesn't run on my PRS-505.
Can't argue on software that don't run.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
dolmen
dolmen began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not a troll. I guess these narrowminded individuals consider bearers of the truth to be trolls. I installed this CRAP and used it for a day on my PRS-300. It is terrible. ePubs are rendered like TXT files. Each paragraph started and ended with a box character, so it obviously cannot render standard text correctly. It was incredibly slow to open books (2+ minutes for average ePub), extremely sluggish using the menus, and to boot up takes a very long time. Now perhaps it works better on their readers, but on my reader it was CRAP! Oh and one more thing, it cannot find preloaded books. You have to load a second copy into a special folder before it can find it. Crap by any other name still smells like crap.
Narrowminded ? you being bearer of the truth ? you are not saying the truth, you're considering one exception as the rule...
Normal epubs are opened in 10 - 20 seconds, as I said, an illustrated one may take even up to 3 minutes, but that's not the normal case.
What you could consider a "crap" is the sony firmware, because even after almost one year they haven't even come out with an update.
Wait for one year an see what this firmware can provide us with. So far, most of my
ebooks are rendered in a beautiful way, a thing I cannot even dream of, by using the sony firmware.

Last edited by dolmen; 08-04-2010 at 07:33 PM.
dolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Does it maybe only work on the newer Sony readers? I'd try it on my 505 but it looks like there's been no luck so far with them - ?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote