Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Font Difference Between ePUB and LRF?

Is the default font different between ePUB and LRF?

They are certainly different sizes, and when I press the button to move to M, my old preference for LRF, the ePUBs are too small still. And then L is absolutely gigantic.

Is there a way to specify a font name and size in the ePUB?

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Is the default font different between ePUB and LRF?
Yes it is.

Quote:
Is there a way to specify a font name and size in the ePUB?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66102
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
With ePUB I've also noticed on several books that the included stylesheet specifies the default paragraph font to be "small". For me this results in Small & Medium settings being too small and Large being too big for my liking, so I usually edit the stylesheet to comment out font-size directive, that makes it ideal size for me on Medium.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

What is the font used for LRF?

-Pie
Old 05-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
What is the font used for LRF?
It is generally "Dutch801 Rm BT Roman" for body text. It is a particularly concise font--you seem to get more characters per screen compared to other fonts at approximately the same point size.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure what the default for LRF books is, but the fonts that come with the newer Sony Readers are Swis721 BT (sans serif), Dutch801 Rm BT (serif), and Courier10 BT (monotype), with filenames tt0003m_.ttf, tt0011m_.ttf, tt0419m_.ttf, respectively.

For ePubs, Sony books seem to use Swis721 BT (sans serif) for titles and headings and Dutch801 Rm BT (serif) for the main text. Unfortunately Dutch801 Rm BT is a very light font and it doesn't display well.

You can add more fonts to your Sony Reader and reference them in the CSS. I personally prefer a sans serif font for reading on an electronic reader, so I've added Arial Rounded MT Bold for normal text and Segoe UI Bold for bolded text. Both or heavier fonts than Dutch801 Rm BT and both or sans serif.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Okay, now how do I change it in a single ePUB? Is there a font changing guide?

The above reference to the other thread is about a hack to change the default. I want to change it the ePUBs themselves, rather than hack my 505.

Good info, and thanks much for the help so far!

-Pie
Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Search the forum for adding fonts to a Sony Reader and referencing those fonts using calibre. I don't have it bookmarked or I would give you the URL.

If you don't mind waiting a few days I will write an article and attached it. As I recall, typical of many of the threads that are ultimately helpful, the one on adding fonts and referencing them is one that requires you to read through several pages to gleen the info. and that is anything but useful. They should just write an article, save it as a file, and post it somewhere for people to download. So I will do that in a few days or less.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-14-2010 at 05:38 PM.