Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
switchman2210
Enthusiast
switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.switchman2210 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Black PRS-650 with lighted cover & Kindle DX.
These are the things I want in priority order. I am in the “I want one device to read on that is very very good at that function” camp. I see two basic book types, casual reading and technical/educational. You could map just about any type of book type into one of these categories. You could argue for a third type magazine/newspaper. Each book type obviously drives a different sizes screen based on type of material being read.

1. I want a display that is like looking at a piece of paper, no glare, no reflection etc.

2. Excellent build quality. I want the reader to last 3-4 years with normal usage. The e-ink/glass based screens have to enhanced in some way such that minor flexing will not crack them. I don’t mind paying a reasonable price for the device depending on screen size. I think a 6” device is reasonable at ~US$200-250 with this feature set.

3. Standardize on a book format/DRM etc, and all readers/publishers use it. This allows the purchase of the reading material from different sources. I don’t like DRM, but I understand the publishing industry desire to stop one copy of a book being sold and five minutes later, potentially a thousand copies could be downloaded. Some method must be made to accommodate future viability. If I buy a book with DRM today, 10-15 years from now I want to be able to read that book again. I may have replaced my reader 5 times since the original purchase. I WILL NOT invest money in any system where a 3rd party controls the content after I purchase it. Epub is a good start.

4. I want the quality of the e-book to be equivalent from a layout, font usage, graphics etc. to a paper book.

5. Excellent ergonomics in the reader from a usage perspective. I have read one book on a Kindle, did not really like the way it felt in the hand. I have only tried the store models of the PRS-505. It was ok, but not a good feel in my hand. I have not tried a 600 yet, but turning a page with a finger swipe on the screen seems like it would be close to a PB.

6. Good software implementation, i.e. folders etc. Why should I not carry my entire library around? Memory/storage is reasonably cheap.

7. Extremely long battery life. As far as I know, today’s basic readers have acceptable battery life. The problem is if you have wireless, it drains the battery.

Nice to have items

8. Wireless, i.e Whispernet or WiFi

9. I am sure I can think of a few more, but I am out of time.
switchman2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Makes me think a lot of the responders who don't have one don't know much about them, at least in terms of battery life. Interesting number for the amount spent per month. That's a lot of reocurring revenue.
Yes, keep in mind an eBook reader is not a mainstream device like a cell phone, GPS or MP3 player... so most people have no idea what they are talking about when they say they want "more battery life" and "internet access". Current devices have excellent battery life and internet access isn't really needed. Although it is nice to have on my Kindle, I do use it very rarely.

The 9-20 a month is interesting... I would translate that to 1-2 books a month. I am closer to 2-4 books a month right now.

If someone asked me I would say unless you read AT LEAST 1 book a month, don't even think about getting an eReader... you will probably fell you paid to much for it.

I would also say for people that are ALWAYS reading... they always have a book with them and read every spare chance they get an eBook reader is pretty much a must have... and they will probably save money on content unless they are reading 100% from the library.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchman2210 View Post
2. Excellent build quality. I want the reader to last 3-4 years with normal usage.
Great list! But I want my reader to last much longer than that.

I still use the Atari 1040ST computer I got in 1987 for my record collection database.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
What is this "ebook reader" you speak of? Do you mean liseuse?
A bright light is not an eBook display device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote