Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
genome2k
Enthusiast
genome2k began at the beginning.

Device: iRex ILIAD
"BOOKS" button leads to an empty display after configured to the CF card?

I configured my iLiad in the Device Manager at Page 3, pointing the "BOOKS" location to "CF card". And after that pressing the BOOKS button, it displays nothing.

But if look into the "CF Card" from Device Manager I can see the book titles normally.

Any idea folks?
genome2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
You need to have your books in a "books" folder on the CF card. Thats what those buttons jump to.

/mnt/cf/books

This also goes for "newspapers", "documents", and "notes".
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
genome2k
Enthusiast

Thanks CleverCloth,

what is this "/mnt/cf/books"? Sounds like a linux path.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by genome2k View Post
what is this "/mnt/cf/books"? Sounds like a linux path.
You're right. /mnt/cf/books is the "books" folder on your CF card.

Simply create a folder called "books" on your card and put your files in there (you'll have to use your PC to do so...)
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
genome2k
Enthusiast

Thanks Thomas.

But I just want to set the root folder of CF card as my "BOOKS" folder and I do not want to create a BOOK folder for books at the CF root as this CF CARD is for books only.

Besides, iLiad is still very slow so I want to reduce the steps of navigation to the least possible. One more folder means one more step of navigation (if i enter from the "CF Card" option from the device manager, i would have to navigate through the BOOKS folder before I can see my books).

Is there any work-arounds to make the BOOKS shortcut links to the root fold of the CF Card?

Last edited by genome2k; 09-20-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Advert
Old 09-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
You don't have to navigate folders created by the iLiad. Clicking the book button will take you directly to your books. For example the iLiad creates folders when you copy a Mobipocket book to the iLiad. Visually the iLiad does not reveal this organization and does not force one to traverse a directory tree to get to it. You only see it when viewing the card on your PC. It sounds like you are trying to fix a problem that does not exist.

Of course you do have to navigate the folders you create.

Last edited by timezone; 09-21-2008 at 12:11 PM.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Maybe this works:
  • Go to "settings" and set your books storage back to internal memory
  • Inside the "books" folder on internal memory create a file called manifest.xml with the following content:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <package>
        <directory>
            <content>/mnt/cf/</content>
        </directory>
    </package>
This should link the internal books folder to the root of your CF card. I didn't try it, so please report if this trick works for you.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
genome2k
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
Maybe this works:
  • Inside the "books" folder on internal memory create a file called manifest.xml with the following content:
    Code:
    <package>
        <directory>
        </directory>
    </package>
This should link the internal books folder to the root of your CF card. I didn't try it, so please report if this trick works for you.

Thank you very much Thomas.

But I still have not tried this. I am still looking for newest release of Mrxvt

and

EmelFM2 File Manager

I am totally an idiot about linux and XML. Redarding the XML file you asked me to create, can I use a TXT editor for the content but save it with a suffix of XML?

There is another finding related to my problem:

Like I said, I linked the BOOKS button to the CF root. But I left all the setting of NEWS DOCS NOTES default.

After my settings for BOOKS shortcut, there weird thing come: iLIAD AUTOMATICALLY created 4 folders on my CF card root, which are BOOKS, NEWS, and DOCS and NOTES. and I found the buttons of NEWS etc. are actually linked to the atomatically created folders, rather than the settings in iLiad (Main memory).

I guess this is a bug from the iLiad's part
Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
-Thomas-
Addict

Quote:
I am totally an idiot about linux and XML. Redarding the XML file you asked me to create, can I use a TXT editor for the content but save it with a suffix of XML?
No need for Linux knowledge here, it's would be as easy as you said. But I just tried the code and it didn't work, so this solution is a dead end.

Quote:
After my settings for BOOKS shortcut, there weird thing come: iLIAD AUTOMATICALLY created 4 folders on my CF card root, which are BOOKS, NEWS, and DOCS and NOTES. and I found the buttons of NEWS etc. are actually linked to the atomatically created folders, rather than the settings in iLiad (Main memory).
Hmm, this is strange. You could try to set the other document types to CF and back to internal memory in your settings, maybe this helps.

I have the same setup (books on CF, documents etc. on internal) and it works fine for me, so it should work for you too.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
genome2k
Enthusiast

Quote:
Maybe this works:
    Code:
    <package>
        <directory>
        </directory>
    </package>

I am sorry Thomas the manifest.xml trick didnt work.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
genome2k
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmm, this is strange. You could try to set the other document types to CF and back to internal memory in your settings, maybe this helps.

I have the same setup (books on CF, documents etc. on internal) and it works fine for me, so it should work for you too.
Hey Thomas did you have the DOCS etc. folders automatically created on the CF root?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
-Thomas-
Addict

Quote:
Hey Thomas did you have the DOCS etc. folders automatically created on the CF root?
Yes, they have been created automatically although they are not needed in my setup.

There might be a solution that requires a lot of linux knowledge (reformatting your internal flash partition and setting a symlink), but simply living with the automatically created folders would be much easier...
Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
genome2k
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, they have been created automatically although they are not needed in my setup.

There might be a solution that requires a lot of linux knowledge (reformatting your internal flash partition and setting a symlink), but simply living with the automatically created folders would be much easier...

Yes I guess so.

I just have always been using highly hierachical arrangement of folders on my computers. I like to organize documents by levels of folders according to their relevancy than to look around in a flattened, long list of folders on a same level. So i usually delete any folders unnecessary.